*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1865655-Random-start-to-a-new-story-VOYAGE
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · Other · #1865655
Just a little start to a random scifi
Looming concrete beasts of buildings climbed into the sky, as if they were suffocating plants trying to escape the thick smog. Overshadowed cars slowly crawled down the main streets while pedestrians scrabbled their way through the crowds.
Like the wrinkles on the face of an 89 year old woman the cracks on the surface of earth where starting to show, as if descending into hell. Nations around the world faced dire situations, famine, and droughts strine across entire planes of land where luscious forest once proudly climbed to the heavens and gave the air its fresh breath.
None of this however was on the mind of one particular individual, a Mary H Twine. She was simple and small in retrospect, only one of the 893 billion people who were crammed onto the earth’s surface. Mary H Twine in fact lived in one of the hundreds of thousand newly dubbed “Supper Apartment multi pollex.”
Nothing about this individual was different at all, nothing about her stroke out as odd. She had honey blonde hair and light green eyes, she was average in high and weight, her dress scene normally consisted of her work uniform, and she spent more of her life at work then at her own home. As a result she had no pets and let herself live a seemingly dismal existence.
‘Times like these when you think the meaning of life is just to survive,’ Mary was talking to herself as she walked across the floor of her small apartment room, while her hands busily tired up her long blonde hair, her fingers entwining with the small black band of elastic.
‘Just to survive,’ the woman sighed to herself as she placed a small black electrical device around her pointer finger and her small thumb opening them up into an upside down L shape.
‘Mail,’ she said as the small black device seamed to crackle projecting a screen in front of her.

Bright letters lit up the screen light projection screaming out to her, ‘Happy 28th birthday!’ With yet another sigh Mary simply tapped her thumb against her pointer finger and collected her wallet and keys off the small marble bench in front of her ‘Light.’ She said brushing her hands down the front of her black work dress starting to head for the door.

Shutting the door to her apartment the lights flipped off she was confronted with the long stretching corridor with some chattering people making their ways up and down the tiny hall way, starting to fill up with a thick smoke curtacy of a man puffing away at a cigar.

Turning her body to squeeze past an overweight man trying to open the stubborn door to his apartment, Mary finally made it down to the silver elevators, each elevator was colour coded for the “Convenience” of residence, silver only took passengers down to the ground floor, and Red took residence up to the roof, Pink Took residence to the Car park and Brown took you any other floor.

Scanning her Residence card for the elevator the doors systematically opened and started to climb down the 65 other floors, and Mary was on one of the lower floors of the building. As she began the decent down which she liked to nickname the decent into hell she opened up her wallet pressing her back against the cold metal at the back of the elevator as a few more residence climbed in from a lower floor. She looked over her Employment card.
© Copyright 2012 Lizabell Ambleside (lizziebee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1865655-Random-start-to-a-new-story-VOYAGE