*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1866581-Scottish-loyalists-Monologue
Rated: · Monologue · Family · #1866581
Set in an independant Scotland
LOYALISTS MONOLOGUE

      My dad served his country. He was a good dad, he always did the best for us. He was a proud member of the Scots Guard. Twelve years, 1973 to 1985. He taught us lots of things, He taught us to love our queen. Queen Elizabeth the first of Scotland. He taught us a lot about history. He told me that 1707 was a great year in Scottish history. It wasn’t just his own history though, he knew a lot about Irish history too. The easer uprising, the United Irishmen. He knew them all. I don’t know too much but he sounded intelligent when he talked.
      He was a religious man too. H brought us all up to be good Christians. The proudest day of my young life was one year I sung a solo in front of the whole church, Once in royal David city. I was all dressed up in a pretty purple dress. I was pleased as punch when I seen the look on his face.
        One thing he told me about Northern Ireland was that it wasn’t about religion at all, it was about about politics and stuff.
        He was there twice, 73 and 77. He said that in the early days the locals welcomed them, the soldiers used to go to dances and dance with local catholic girls. Then one day it stopped and it turned nasty. Of course my dad wasn’t there in those days but he was told stories.
      Why should I have any sympathy with the provos? Folk say that I should understand that we’re all the same, we’re all working class. But why should I? If someone kills my dad they kill my dad. Working class or not!
      My dad believed in Queen and country. So where am I to sit in this new republic? Where’s my Queen and country now?
© Copyright 2012 Rachelsarah Glasgow (rachelsarah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1866581-Scottish-loyalists-Monologue