*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1869785-One-Day-to-Live
Rated: E · Essay · Philosophy · #1869785
How long is a lifetime? Is there a simple answer to that question?
How long is a lifetime? Is it the decades on this earth that you're lucky enough to be given, or can it be one day - one day that you get to experience life. What is a lifetime measured by? Years get spent like dollar bills. What happens when you get to the register and realize your wallet is empty? What if you don't even have a dime with a bit of pocket lint stuck to it.

Is it the amount of grey hairs you've accumulated and the wisdom that comes with wrinkles, or is a lifetime measured by the moments that you have to experience life. Those precious seconds you have to experience hate and anger, love and laughter. How many of those seconds do we waste? Can you live a lifetime in a second? A single, beautiful, heart-breaking second? What is time, other than a constant reminder of human mortality?

What is the definition of a lifetime? After all it is just a word. War is also just a word, so who decides what it means? Who decides what a lifetime means?

Your probably thinking, alright, enough with all the questions and the fragmented thoughts that make no sense. Some of you will probably think that I'm depressed and that I should just slit my wrists already - save the world from another emo.

I saw a baby die today, a beautiful baby girl. Today was her lifetime. Today was all she got, just one day to live on this earth. What would you do with a day? Both you and I are living, but are we alive?

It took a death for me to realize that we are lucky - you and I. You have time to read and I have the time to write, but time always runs out. Even a favorite book has a final chapter and every song has a final, lingering note. I could be dead tomorrow and your tomorrow could be my today. Tomorrows always turn into todays. Time has a funny way of being ambiguous. People have a funny way of being ambiguous.

Do we every really know what time it is? Time is so important when we're living. The time we are born is recorded when we enter this world and it is recorded when we die. However, after we die time means nothing. Time is man-made.

A year from now we could both be dead. But, we will have shared this moment, this thought. You'll never know me and I'll never know you, but you will know these random thoughts I decided to write down on this random day. I hope they make you think, even if you think I am insane. In fact, I hope this makes you question my sanity. I hope it makes you question your own sanity. If anything, I hope these thoughts make you want to live a little more each day.
© Copyright 2012 Danielle (bluehue at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1869785-One-Day-to-Live