*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1872417-Waiting
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Friendship · #1872417
To take her far, far away.
“What are you doing out here?”

“Waiting.”

“What are you waiting for?”

“The train to Mars.” She said it with such a seriousness that startled him.

“What do you mean?”

She shook her head slightly. “Never mind.” There was a long silence.

“It’s raining.” He said, stating the obvious. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that she couldn’t hear the soft pitter-patter of it around them, especially as it dripped on the material of her umbrella. She slowly held it out to him, though without hesitation. He quickly took it, but then sat next to her so that they could both be under it.
“You’re going to catch a cold.” She barely acknowledged the statement with a slight shrug. He was wearing a coat, but it was a warm rain. The kind that comes only in the summer, and you think it’s going to cool everything off, only it actually makes you sweat more. Still, she was only wearing a tank top. Silently he took off his jacket, quite a feat while still trying to hold the umbrella over them, and draped it over her shoulders. She accepted it without a word.

“So, what were you doing. I mean, while you were waiting. For the train.” He stumbled over his words slightly, looking at her out of the corner of his eye.

“I was counting stars.” she said glancing up towards the sky.

“How many did you count?”

“I keep losing count.”

He looked up himself. It was a starry night. Each one was like a pinpoint of light sparkling in front of a black backdrop. But, if there were no clouds to block the view, where was the rain coming from? He shared this observation.

“The sky is crying.” Her voice sounded far off, but she was so close to him. Close enough that he could smell her and hear her jacket swish against itself when she breathed. And, if he wanted to, he could reach out and brush the wisps of hair out of her face.

“Why is the sky crying?” He asked tentatively. He knew she didn’t like to talk about it, but sometimes he could coax it out of her. Tonight was not one of those times, however. They sat there in the rain as the temperature started to gradually cool down. Finally he broke the silence.

“My mom’s making lasagna.” It was a lame attempt at conversation. But, it was more than she was doing. “You’re more than welcome to come. You know she loves when you’re over. Something about having another girl in the house.” He was almost pleading, but kept his tone level. She just stared up into the sky.

“Okay.” Then she sat up. In a moment, they were both on their feet, with him carrying the umbrella. She reached down and grabbed her small pack before they slowly started walking across the field. By now, the grass was all wet, soaking their sneakers as they walked. Suddenly she clutched his hand in a vice, pulling him closer to her as they walked. He sighed, but gave her a squeeze back.
© Copyright 2012 Serphintin (serphintin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1872417-Waiting