*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2045248-M--M
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Dark · #2045248
Love knows no boundaries
“Do you remember that one time, we snuck out to your dad’s barn to be alone?”

She giggled, rolling on her side to look at him. Deep blue eyes that could make the ocean seethe with jealousy looked to him. Running a thumb across his chin, she responded in a voice as soft as velvet.

“You mean the night where he had the same idea?”

“And he sat out there for two hours, drinking and talking to the horses.” He rolled onto his side to meet her look. Their hands found each other, and he gave her a squeeze.

“That straw was itchy.” He continued.

“I didn’t think it was so bad.”

“Because you were on top of me.”

A beam of sunshine stabbed its way through the leaves above them to land directly in his eye. Winter was already beginning to take hold, ripping the stained leaves from the trees with gusts of wind. By now, the old oak was looking sparse. He honestly was surprised it afforded them it as much cover as it did. Suddenly he reached over and wrapped an arm around her, pulling her close. She screamed in delight as he rolled her over on top of him. Her hair fell about his face, and once again blocked the deadly rays.

“Better.” He said. She giggled lightly, brushing the strands from his face. The sound rang like a bell in his ears, and hearing it could brighten even the darkest day. He put a hand up to touch the side of her face, and she leaned into it. His hands were cracked and chapped, and almost perpetually covered in motor oil and grease, yet she didn’t mind. Even when he smelled of exhaust and gasoline, she wouldn’t complain. Which was good, as there was never a time one of those things wasn’t true.

“It’s almost time.” He said, his tone suddenly somber and serious. She bit her lip and looked over at the setting sun.

“Already?”

“The sun’s setting.”

“Maybe it wont happen this time.” Her voice was fearful. But he could already hear the faint beeping. A monotonous drone that lasted for but a second at a time, but would get louder with each and every sweep.

“Stay with me. Here, forever.” She said in a rush,looking back at him.

“Please, Madeline, don't.”

“Do something, Mike!” She shouted, pushing herself up and away. Mike couldn’t hear anything now beside the beeping. Any minute now, he thought.
Suddenly, she stood. Tears streamed down her cheeks.

“Don’t wake up! I don’t want to die!” She shouted. Mike sat up and reached his arm out to her, before suddenly everything was gone in a blinding flash.



Mike jolted awake, his arm still stretched out. The alarm clock was blaring on the floor beside him. Six o’clock it flashed, illuminating the room. A cold sweat had enveloped him, as he sat with his hands in his face. Violently his body shook. Slowly he turned off the alarm clock, but did not get up. From across the room, he heard Danny get up and shuffle his way over to Mike. He licked at his hands.

“I’ve told you a hundred times not to lick my hands. Dumb dog.” He put his arms around the collie and hugged him close. Now that it was within reach, he licked at Mikes face.

Danny was her dog. Mike offered to take him because her parents couldn’t bear to have him around.

“You are Mike the Mechanic, and i’m Madeline the Model. So now he’s Danny the dog.” She had said, when she introduced the border collie pup, almost four years ago.

Presently, he pushed the dog off the mattress and stood. It only took five steps for him to reach the sink from his mattress on the floor. Only two more would take him straight out of the single room he inhabited. It was enough for him, and he didn’t have to pay for it. Located above the garage he worked at, he joked that his commute couldn’t get any shorter.

He brushed his teeth and splashed some water on his face. The least stained shirt he could find and a pair of jeans that were at one time blue came next. As he looked himself over in the mirror, Mike pulled the Joes Quick Fix cap onto his head.

Downstairs, the shop was pitch black. Silently he went to the fuse box to flip the switches. Danny trotted along next to him, panting heavily. Joe himself wouldn’t show up for another hour or two, depending on when he woke up. Mike liked to have this time to himself to actually get some things done, without the owner hovering over his shoulder.

A small town like Troy didn’t really produce a lot of work for a mechanics shop. But the surrounding farms had more than enough machinery to keep them busy. By now, the shop smelled almost as bad as the tractors they worked on.

Maybe if he had gone with Madeline to Chicago he could work in a real garage. But, he argued there wasn’t going to be one that paid him as much as this one did. How would they support themselves, especially with her going to school. But maybe if he had just swallowed his pride, she would still be there. There wouldn’t have been any reason for her to be out that night, if not for him.

There came a sharp rap at the front door across the room once the lights kicked on. Mike looked up at the wall clock, saw that it read six twelve, and began walking over.

“We don’t open until nine.” He said, as he swung the door open. A man burst in, almost knocking Mike to the floor.

“Yea, they just opened the doors. I should be on the road in five minutes.” He was talking into a cell phone. He was wearing an expensive suit, and the light glinted off the large face on his watch. It was probably worth more than any paycheck Mike had ever collected. Suddenly he turned to Mike, pulling the phone from his face. “Where is my car?” He asked, looking down on him.
“What?” Was all mike could manage. He sighed, and turned back to the phone.

“I’ll have to call you back.” Then “I was told my car would be ready first thing this morning. Just give me my keys so I can go.” The man was impudent and rude. Mike wanted very much to tear him down from his high horse.

“We don’t open until nine-” He began again. The man interrupted, irritated.

“Listen, you grease money. I need to be In Chicago by nine, and I was told it would be ready first thing. I don't have time for this.”

“That doesn’t mean whenever you show up.” Mike pointed at him. “That means when we open. Which is nine.”

“Your boss is going to hear about this.” He threatened. “When I come back, it had better be done.” Then he stormed out, furiously dialing his cell phone. Mike slammed the door after he left. He knew that man must have belonged to the Cadillac that had been brought in last night. In reality, it had just overheated and needed a new thermostat. A simple fix that would take no time at all. But making the man wait brought Mike some level of pleasure.

Joe strolled in a few minutes before nine. “Early as usual.” He would smile and say, making a show of punching his time card. He owned the place, and everything in it, but wanted to show that he was just like his employees. A truly down to earth kind of guy. The illusion was lost on the three of them though, when he hopped down from his brand new super duty. Then he would disappear in the office for hours at a time.

Mike had expected to see the man before then, knowing the type. He even had enough time to take a cigarette breaks sitting in the caddy’s luxurious leather seats. But, three minutes after nine, the front door slammed open. He decided to meet him halfway.

“My car had better be ready.” He shouted, pointing angrily at Mike.

“Yes sir, as promised. First thing this morning.” He held out the keys. The man snatched them from his hand, then recoiled as the globs of grease smeared on his fingers.

“You little punk. Think that you’re clever?” He raged.

“Sorry sir, I don’t think anything. I’m just a grease monkey.”

“I’ll have your job,” He paused, trying to decipher the name badge on Mike's front pocket. “Mitch.”

“What’s going on out here?” Joe approached. He must have heard the argument from his office

“This, boy.” The man started. “Has been nothing but unprofessional and rude. He’s inconvenienced me greatly, and I demand compensation.”
Mike opened his mouth to protest, but Joe held out a hand to silence him.

“I’m so sorry sir. I’ll drop the cost of labor and charge you only for the parts.”

“And what about him?”

“He’ll be docked for the time he wasted.”

“That’s bull shit!” Mike exclaimed. The men just looked at him. “I had it ready before we opened..”

“I was told first thing this morning.” The man said to Joe.

“I told you to work on it last night, didn’t I?” Joe looked to Mike, who only stared blankly.

“You didn’t say shit to me last night.”

“Don't lie to me, Boy.”

The man laughed at Mike's expense

“Screw you.” Mike took his hat off and flung it across the shop. “I quit.”
He stormed toward the front door, ignoring the voices that call out to him. Danny ran up beside him and tried to keep up. Mike slammed the door behind him, shaking the whole front of the building. He didn’t even know where he was going, he just knew that he had to get away from there. The early morning air was crisp, and still had a chill to it. Mike walked angrily towards the other side of town. Maybe once he got there, he would have had enough time to cool off.

Danny happily bounced along side him. He was four years old, but still acted like a puppy. Mike found his thoughts drifting back to the day he got him. He had come a long way from doing nothing but sit on the porch and wait.

Presently, Mike looked up to see where he was walking. At this time in the morning, there wasn’t a lot of people on the streets.Mike was able to cross the streets without much fear.

Suddenly, Danny darted off ahead, barking. Mike watched until he started to cross another street, at which point he gave chase.

“Wait! Get back here!” he shouted. Danny darted into an alleyway. Mike followed, just in time to see the dog across the street, barking up a tree.

“Stupid dog.” He said, as he jogged out of the alley and across the street. He was so busy trying to see what was up in the tree, that he didn’t even notice the car. Or feel the impact.

Mike awoke laying on his back, looking up at a familiar tree.

“Mike, baby, are you awake?” Said a familiar voice. He smiled, and turned his head to see her laying next to him.

“How could I sleep knowing that you were here next to me?”

“Shut up.” She said, and stuck her tongue out at him. He did the same.

“I wish this could last forever.” He blurts. She giggles, then rolls onto her side to face him.

“Do you remember that time when you proposed to me?” She asked.

“You said no.” He rolls over to face her.

“We were nineteen. My dad would kill me.”

“I would protect you.”

“You’re not bulletproof either.” She smiled, but he did not return it. Instead, he played with the grass.

“I was afraid of losing you. That, once you went to chicago, you would find someone better than me.” He said. Gently, she put a hand under his chin, and forced him to look at her.

“Do you still have the ring?” She asked. He stared for a moment, before thrusting his hand into his pocket. There, his fist clasped around the cold metal.

“Yes.” He said, slowly bringing it out. She took his hand and pried his fingers open. Then, taking it in one hand, she slid the ring onto her other. A smile spread slowly across his face.

“Well, I changed my mind.” Then she leaned over and kissed him. He kissed her back, rolling over so he was on top. She giggled, but did nothing to stop him. Instead fumbling with the buttons of his shirt.

In that moment, it was as if he was struck by lightning. Electricity flowed through him, causing him to shake and jerk violently. The next thing he knew, she was leaning over him. Her face a mask of fear.

“Mike, what's happening?” She put her hands on his face.

“I don’t know.-” He started, when suddenly it happened again. He could hear her scream. Then, there were voices. Lots of them, as if speaking through a set of thick curtains. His eyes became unfocused.

“Mike, don’t leave again!” She screamed. but before mike could open his mouth, he was struck again, and started to convulse. The world flashed before him, before turning white.

When he opened his eyes again, he was laying on the pavement. There were bright lights being shined in his eyes, and people were crowding around

“He’s back. Get him on the gurney.” Someone said. He tried to sit up, but a hand pushed him back down.

“Don't move, son.” He said. Mike recognized his badge, identifying him as a police officer. As such, Mike knew what hung on his belt. “Some luck you have. The only car on the streets, and you run right out in front of it.”

Suddenly he lunged at the man, knocking him back. Frantically he fumbled with the latch on his holster. Everyone around started shouting, and he could feel the EMT’s rushing in. Finally Mike freed the weapon, yanking so hard he threw himself on to his back. As quickly as he could, he shoved the gun in his mouth and tried to pull the trigger. But it did not fire. Before he could do anything else, the two men had grabbed hold of him, ripping it from his hands.

“No!” He shouted, but they turned him over and pushed his face to the ground. His arms were pinned behind his back. “You can’t do this!” He kept shouting, but it fell on deaf ears. “She was so close! ” He was roughly hauled to his feet. In the periphery, the officer read him his rights, but he wasn’t listening,

“I was so close!” he screamed again, throwing his body against the men carrying him. They veered away from the ambulance, instead heading towards a police car. The door was opened, and he was thrown inside. The door slammed shut, and Mike pounded the window with his feet.

“Just kill me! Please!” he cried, before giving up on the reinforced glass, and turning to bury his face in the seat. “I want to go to her.” He choked, in between his sobs. He heard the officer get in the front seat. Voices talked through the radio, unfocused and far away. He clicked them off, and turned in his seat. Long minutes passed, where the only sound was Mike’s ragged breaths. Finally the officer spoke.

“Don’t worry son. We’re going to get you some help.” was all he said, before driving off.
© Copyright 2015 Serphintin (serphintin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2045248-M--M