*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1873277-Treasure-Hunt
Rated: E · Other · Horror/Scary · #1873277
Some times finding something means losing something...
Lucy was only five when she found the old rag doll hidden in the bushes at the park. Lucy loved the doll because she had whispered beautiful stories to her about a magical treasure.

Lucy’s Mother hated the ugly old doll; something about it just didn’t feel right. She heard strange whisperings coming out of Lucy’s room at night and the doll’s eyes seemed to follow her. Since finding the doll Lucy had changed and was detached from the rest of the world. Lucy’s Mother decided it was time for the doll to go.

That night the doll whispered to Lucy that the time had come to fetch the secret map that would lead them to the treasure. Lucy was bursting with excitement as she slipped out of bed and left the house clutching the ragged doll as she crossed the dark street.
Amy led Lucy across the silvery beach to the water’s edge where the moon sparkled on the waves.

A tinkling laugh woke Lucy’s mother and sent her rushing to the window, heart racing. A movement on the beach across the road caught her eye and she knew it was Lucy. Without thinking she raced out of the house, across the street and into crashing surf. Lucy was gone.

Frantic Lucy’s mother called her daughter’s name, desperately searching for her in the icy water not realizing that she was moving further away from the shore. A silvery laugh in the distance caught her attention and she looked towards the shore. Standing on the sand was Lucy. The doll in her arms seemed to wave as Lucy’s mother was dragged under the water.

Lucy was tired as she walked home. She would miss mommy, but daddy was still there and dolly would take good care of both of them.

Word count 300
© Copyright 2012 Vicky bornman (vickyb77 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1873277-Treasure-Hunt