*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1875669-Sanziene
by Aelyah
Rated: E · Other · Cultural · #1875669
People in the western Carpathian Mountains celebrate the Sânziene holiday on June 24
Dochia closed the door to her bedchamber and locked it with the bolt.

"Tonight is the night" she thought, as her smile revealed no small excitement.

She did everything right. 

She had bathed in the first dew gathered by Baba Voica from untouched sanziene. Voica knew the twisted paths through the forest that guaranteed no soul would see her carrying the magic water.

Tonight, under the guarding light of the moon, she would lie down in the hidden glade, by the spring, and dream of her intended. A dream involving a certain raven-haired knight whose kiss stole her senses.

She drew her arms through the sleeves of the airy dress woven in white silk and tightened the wire of the circlet holding the magic of the yellow flowers. She slithered through the secret door of her chamber, floating through the dark corridors to the horse waiting for her outside.

And if anyone noticed the flying white shadow, dark curls floating with the wind, they would have better turned their head, to ward off the ire of the Sanziene.

She found the wide boulder in the glade, smoothed the thick cloak over it and lay down with eagerness. The gentle breeze caressed her with the touch of a mother while the spring sang her to sleep.

As the night flew its dark winds, sweat trickled on Dochia's face while she tossed and turned.

"Easy, lass" she heard and her eyes flicked open

Dochia let a piercing cry as she looked in horror at the burly man with scraggly red beard and equally crimson hair holding down her shoulders.

She had seen this man before, there, in her dream.

She pushed at his chest with her hands and he released her. Then jumped on her horse and rode out in frustration.
© Copyright 2012 Aelyah (aelyah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1875669-Sanziene