*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1883498-Bubba-and-Dupree
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · LGBTQ+ · #1883498
Excerpt from "Walking in Our Brother's Shoes"
As Dupree sprayed insect repellent on his exposed arms he turned to Bubba laughing "Last week I was help'n Dave unload his truck, and I asked him 'Why are you straight?'
He looked at me like I was crazy and yelled 'What?'
So I told him, 'It's a simple question. You're always ask'n me why I'm gay; why are you straight?'
Then he said 'I'm straight because I prefer be'n with a woman.'
So I said 'Oh, so you've had sex with a man.' And he got all nervous and started scream'n 'No!'
Then I asked 'Then how do you know you prefer be'n with a woman if you've never been with man?'
Then he said 'OK, let me rephrase it. I've never had any desire to be with a man.'
So then I asked 'Is it because of that Bible thing about man not sleep'n with another man?'
And he said 'Maybe! I'm not sure. I guess I was just born this way.'
Then I asked him 'What if they discovered that heterosexuality was suppose to be only for make'n babies, and homosexuality was meant to be a way for men to bound with each other on a more spiritual level?"
Suddenly Dupree stopped to reflect on what he'd just said, then laughed, "That's some deep shit ain't it?"
Bubba shook his head laughing "How in the hell do you come up with these things?"
"I don't know." Dupree said in a state of wonderment. "Anyway,
I asked him 'Would you stop having sex with women?'
And he 'No!'
So I asked 'Why not?'
Then he said 'Because I'm straight. This is who I am.'
Then I told him to please remember this conversation the next time he thought about ask'n me why I'm gay."
"What'd he say?" Bubba asked opening a can of beer.
"Nothin', he just sat there look'n stupid."
© Copyright 2012 Mel Thomas (ooma416982 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1883498-Bubba-and-Dupree