*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1886836-The-Journey
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1886836
Old Chinese Proverb, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step."
    Rodriguez cautiously stepped out of the shaded corner, and moved into the light.  The white surface were he traversed was cold on each of his feet.  Slick, slippery, and there was a glare from the light.  Moving slowly, feeling the vibrations with his feet.  Pausing for what to him seemed hours.  The vibrations came and went.  Some very strong, others lighter, faster.  Rodriguez made as much sense of this as his brain could. 

      "There are other's that live in this world of ours."  His father had taught him.

      "They are gigantic!"

    Rodriguez knew his parent, the one who had watched him hatch, knew this world.  So he had paid attention to what was said.  The elders had told him that the shaded corner was becoming over populated.  He was old enough to make his own nest.  To do so required that he find a place that was somewhat dark.  It had even been suggested that he leave the world he knew and go through the portal.  Rodriguez shuddered.  that was a last resort.  One foot encountered a soft surface, using sensitive hairs in his front legs, he moved cautiously, yet quickly on to it.  This was fiber, about up to his belly. Though he knew not what color was he could tell the fibers were in different shades.  Though he didn't know what this was, he knew it wasn't a good place to hide.  Even here the vibrations where very intense.  His brain told him to keep going. 

    Now on the lighter shade of fiber, he found something new.  It was a fabric of sorts.  There were several shady places here, and Rodriguez took his time exploring it.  Under one area, that looked best he encountered the disseminated body of Saul.

    "So that's what became of the old shyster."  Rodriguez thought.  He left the fabric, then suddendly it was gone.  He felt a wind as it moved off the fiber surface and seemed to float above him. This was the giant's doing, Rodriguez thought and moved quickly to the wall.  None of his people knew what this was.  To mesure it took 100's of steps.  Viscous creatures lived over it's top, they would sweep down using the stings of their nests to capture an unwary traveler. 

    "One never stays near the wall."  said a female near by. 

    Rodriguez knew the voice well.  "Teacher Yang.  Directions please?"

      "Follow the path to the portal, then go across the white expanse again.  There you will find the white base and towering pedestal.  Behind that may be safty."

  There was a long pause.  The she continued.  "If ..........it is not already occupied."



      Rodriguez understood.  The direction of the wooden portal was right.  Moving along the wall, he made steady progress.  For now there was no vibrations.  The wind wafted in.  The light to was not so bright. 

        Mother had told him, before she left, "The light changes.  The giants can control it."

When the vibrations had left, the light had changed too, so Rodriguez relized she had been right.

      Now crossing the white slippery surface moving toward the tall white base.  Though he could not see over it, he knew like so many of his kind that the base held a very tall tower that curved upward toward a bowl.  Within this bowl was water, and a very pungent odor.  These were rumors though, for none knew this place.  Any who went up the tower, never came back.  "Go not up,"  the wispy voice came from the left. 

      There by the legs of the stand made of colored wood, was the weakened almost dissipated body of Abdullah.

      "Most exalted ancient one, is there room here?"

      "Behind the base, prehaps.  You will have to try your luck."

      Rodriguez took one step, then something strange happened.  A clear wall impeded him.  A paper surface went under all his feet, and there was a light  vibration that he felt.  He was lifted and moved outside the wooden portal.  Stuck in his clear cell, Rodriguez checked all the sides.  No way out!  What was happening?  Fear!

Another portal is crossed, and now it is very bright.  Rodriguez feels pain.  It's hot!  Where is he going?  Then he is on dirt,  it is shady, and no others around.  The air smells good.  The place he's been put is cool.  The surface comfortable.  He senses that food is readly avaiable.  All that he needs is here.



****************************************************************************************************



    "Why do these daddy-long legs keep getting into our bathroom?"  The woman ask her companion, who carried the clear plastic dish and paper back to the house.

    "I wish I knew.  I mean what in the heck are they living on in there?"

Both shrugged, and went back in to rescue the other spiders they could find.
© Copyright 2012 Jennifer Littington (jennlit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1886836-The-Journey