*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1888233-Lords-of-the-Apocalypse-intro
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1888233
Destruction of the world rests in the palm of their hands.
The world has begun to burn down; so1on there would be nothing left but perhaps a smoldering surface. What does it matter anyway? Lena is safe now with the one she loves, has always loved in fact. As she braces herself for the massive wave of heat and debris, Lena closes her eyes for only a moment and recalls her early childhood days of playing in the fields of green, long blades of grass tickling her bare calves as she ran and the breeze gently blowing her long brown hair. She used to stop and stare up at the sun, squinting just as she is now. Only then she was smiling; now, she is terrified.
With eyes closed Lena feels a warm hand grasp her own. She looks down to see that Mace is holding her hand now. Lena looks into his blue-grey eyes. They had tried to be together on so many occasions and it wasn’t until recently that they were finally able to make it work, but only to end in a tragedy. Everything has been falling apart; the economy, society, the world as a whole. Nothing is safe, and nothing ever will be again. They put up a good fight but now they must face the inevitable.
“We gave it our best shot, kid,” Mace squeezes Lena’s hand gently. She smiles in return, a single tear beginning at the corner of her right eye as she stares into Mace’s own.
“I know. I have wanted to be with you through everything, through every time, through every battle we have ever faced and now here we are, only to face the same fate again.” Her voice is cracking. The heat is growing closer. Every time she looks into Mace’s eyes everything around them seems to slow down, the motion no longer existing.
There have been many wars fought, time spent, and sleepless nights alone. Lena and Mace are just two members of a group of six; it seems as if every time they come close to having what their hearts desire, something comes and takes it away again….and again….and again.
“Everything will be okay, at least we have this moment, this time,” Mace looks around and gestures with his free hand to the surrounding area. Even though everything seems in ruin at the moment, he still embraces it. “Nothing will ever take this away from us. We will see each other again. It may be another time, another place, but we will and you know that.” He gently wipes away the tear from Lena’s cheek as it slowly rolls down, leaving behind a light streak through the thin layer of dust on her skin. Lena closes her eyes for one more moment, feeling his hand brush her cheek, and his other squeeze her hand once more. This is it; this is the way their world ends. The heat is drawing closer still.
Mace and Lena both turn to face the waves of earth and heat, squeezing each other’s hands tightly. It will only last a second, if not shorter, once it arrives. The future awaits, their group will also be waiting. Soon it will be off to another reality, to face another ending. It’s a dirty job, but someone has to do it.
Holding on tighter still, Mace leans in and presses his lips to Lena’s one last time. Their eyes close as they embrace and Lena recalls her childhood in the fields once more; Mace recalls the moment he first met Lena. These are memories that help take away the pain. The awful truth is that they will face something similar in the next life.
Lena can feel the heat approaching faster now as she wraps her arms around Mace’s neck. He wraps his arms around her waist and presses her into him. They could never be together in life, but they always meet in death. Everyone in the group seems to meet the end in pairs and Mace’s match is Lena. Now they are together and meeting their end. The heat is upon them now, their skin begins to burn. Mace holds onto Lena and she to him; with a final breath, they are swallowed by the massive waves of heat and debris. They did what they needed to do and they left the way they were supposed to.
There is always a battle of good versus evil, has been for many years. In the depths of the parallel worlds that lay in between rise a group of unknown heroes; they are among the living but not quite right with the dead. When the beasts from below rise above and threaten the lives of the living, bring forth the Lords of the Apocalypse, and they shall fight for all humanity.


(This is just an intro...if others would like to read more I will add as I go =) )
© Copyright 2012 Laurak2394 (laurak2394 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1888233-Lords-of-the-Apocalypse-intro