*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1896956-Smoke
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #1896956
Contest Entry
One step. That was all it would take. Just step over to the bench, pack his tools, fetch the coin stash from the hidden compartment and he could be on his way.

His feet remained still, riveted to the rough adzed hemlock floorboards of the cabin.

He inhaled the rich tobacco smoke generated by his pipe, held the smoke in his throat for a moment, and formed his mouth into an o. A thick and well formed smoke ring floated in front of him. He followed the ring with his eyes as it drifted towards the south wall of the cabin and images of green tobacco fields under a blistering sun flooded his mind.

Shit. Even this late in the season, if he left tonight, he could still make it out before the passes snowed in. Be in Rencor in a week. A month later, New Magencia. He'd heard that the crazed sorcerers of that city always had work for a tinker.

The slender youth moved his stool closer to the fire in the cabin's hearth and sat down. He placed the complex mechanism of one of his traps on his lap and deftly set to work, searching for the burred gear tooth that had caused it to jam and let a mountain cat escape.

A loud snap resounded throughout the cabin and the intricate mechanism clattered to the floor as his legs exploded and thrust him off the stool.

He exhaled slowly. Just the wall's logs contracting because of the cold. Damnable cold. He should definitely leave. Leave tonight and head south. Get a job as a guard on some fat nobleman's estate. Or try his luck on the caravan routes. Anything. Leave the cursed winter-lands and the damn fools of the village behind him, never to return.

One step. That was all it would take. Make that first step and he'd never look back.

Tallow candles and moonlight coming through a window illuminated the cabin, reflecting off the rough hewn cants that formed the walls and beams of the building to land on various strange devices.

Here an elaborate trap. There some strange instrument of unknown origin. In the corner a bench littered with a chaotic jumble of tools and raw materials.

A cloud passed in front of the moon and the cabin darkened. Then the sound of feet at the door. Low voices. A knock.

"Belenus, you home? I need you. I need you bad, boy.

He recognized the voice, frowned, and clamped his jaws together. A soft sigh escaped his lips as he unclenched his teeth and turned towards the door.

Always a problem. Another calf to be turned, or a broken gear at the mill again. Just say no for a change, can't you?

But instead he forced a note of cheerfulness into his voice. "Come in."

The plank door of the cabin swung inward and Belenus shivered as cold night air entered accompanied by two men. A stocky older man with a rudy face and a younger man wearing the heavy plate of a sergeant in the garrison's legion crossed the floor and stood with their backs to the hearth.


"Belenus," said the older man, "I gotta ask you to help me. I, I got troubles. The twins were playing with their sled near the Scar. We, that is Martha and me, we think they went in. If they got lost and lit a fire..."

Belenus's eyes slitted like those of the large cats he trapped in the nearby mountains and his face hardened. "Surely you don't want me to go into the Scar Jerod? You know what happened to me in there."

"I know what it means Belenus. But the legion can't go in. You're the only one I can ask."

"It's the treaty with the orcs" said the sergeant. "The legion can't enter the Scar. If we go in we risk another war."

"I doubt it." said Belenus. The orcs would never even know you were in there. They're as scared of the place as we are. I've watched their patrols from up on Dragonback ridge. They don't go near the place."

"Nonetheless the legion can't go in. The treaty is clear and I'm not about to violate it. Not even for two lost little girls. The duty falls to you citizen."

"Duty? How is this my duty? I do enough for this foresaken outpost already."

"Belenus, I know it's a lot to ask. What with your sister and all," said Jerod.

His neck and face became hot .Red clouds expanded to fill his mind and white sparks danced before his eyes.

"Get out. Get out now." His eyes stared pointedly at the long broad sword hanging in it's scabard from an iron peg driven into the cabin's door.


"I always knew you didn't have it in you Belenus, despite what these naive people say about you. You're nothing but a coward at heart, not even half the man they say you are," said the sergeant.

"It ain't like that sergeant," said Jerod. " His voice had risen a bit. "You're new here. There's stuff you don't know bout. Come on. I guess I'll have to go in by myself." He shuddered and cast his eyes downward. How am I going to tell Martha?"

"Out. Now. And don't ever mention Jenny to me again."

The crunch of the footsteps of the two men faded into the falling snow as the memory of the roaring noise of a smoky fire grew in Belenus's mind.

###

Belenus returned to his stool, picked the trap mechanism from the floor, and resumed searching for the burred gear.

Again and again he spun the gears in the mechanism, letting them slow down and coast to a halt. After a time his fingers stopped spinning the shafts, his shoulders sagged, and his eyes fell to the floor.

"One step," he whispered. "One step was all it would take."

Images came unbidden now, pushed into his mind with irresistible power. His sister Jenny lying unconscious by a fire, a great horned smoky beast hovering over her. A small boy, thrusting helplessly at the monster with a wooden dagger. The boy's father, sinking into the snow, his lips forming words the boy could not make out. Then the image wavered and two Jennies lay by the fire.

The youth sighed, then rose from the stool and cast the mechanism clattering to the floor. Light from the hearth bronzed his rigid face as he strode to his bench and began to rummage through tools and materials.

Adrenaline flowed freely through his veins now, and he pricked himself often with an awl as he worked. Once, in his haste, the shears had slipped and a red line had grown on his left forefinger.

Images of Jerod, the twins, and Jenny lying in a dark wood blurred together. He pushed them away and kept working.

Soon, he held up his handiwork. A leather face stared back at him with clear thinly sliced quartz pieces for eyes and a long padded snout where a mouth should be.

Now, to get Toby, he thought.

###


The villagers milled about in silence before the entrance to the Scar, stamping their feet and blowing plumes of white vapor onto hands chilled by the still night air.

Tania pulled at her lower lip with her fingers and regarded the dark wood.The burls and cracks in the bark of the huge and misshapen trees seemed to form faces that stared at her.

As she stared back the faces smiled and the tree limbs waved and beckoned. She stepped forward, then felt her mother's strong hands draw her back.

She moved closer to her mother, seeking shelter within the folds of the womans woolen cloak. "Mom, why do they call it the Scar?"

"Nobody really knows dear. The priests say a big battle happened here a long time ago. They say the earth was hurt and didn't heal properly." The woman did not take her eyes off the entrance.

"Is that why everything doesn't grow right in there?"

"I don't know dear."

"Mom?"

"Yes dear?"

"How come Belenus didn't go in the woods with dad? Isn't he our friend anymore?"

"It's a long story dear. But don't worry. Belenus will come. He used to stay with me when he was little you know."

"He did ?"

"Sure. He stayed with all of us at one time or another." She swept her hand in a semicircle to point out the other village women. All of us are his mother, in a sense."

"Mom?"

"Yes dear?"

"Look."

A winking pinpoint of light had appeared on the track that came from the mountian.

The pinpoint came closer, soon becoming a pitch soaked torch illuminating a tall figure leading a dog on a long leather leash.

The tall young man stopped before Tania and addressed her mother.

"How long has he been in there Martha?"

"About an hour Belenus." She made as if to embrace him, then stopped. " I knew you'd come Belenus. Despite what others said". Her eyes darted to the sergeant and his troopers standing nearby.

The sergeant came forward. "Not a coward after all I see."

The youth glanced sideways down the path that led to the southern pass, sighed, then glanced north towards the entrance to the Scar as a frown formed on his dour features.

"Apparently not. Sergeant. I need some plate, but not too heavy. The lightest you've got."

The seargeant motioned to the message runner of the troop. The trooper began to remove his armor and soon the youth was busy donning the unfamiliar gear, struggling with the complex straps and buckles.

When he had finished he tied a leather bag to his side and turned to look at Tania.

"Tania, run home and get something of the twins to scent Toby, a shoe, or some clothing. And Tania. Run quickly. As if lives depended on it."

###

He walked Toby to the entrance into the Scar, a dry stream-bed with a bedrock bottom thick enough to deny the stubborn tree roots a foothold.

Toby found the scent trail easily but could not be coaxed to enter the dark wood.

Belenus knelt and caressed the dog. "I'm sorry Toby. You don't deserve this"

He hit the back of Tobie's legs with the flat of his sword. Gently at first, then with increasing force.

Trembling and cowering Toby entered the scar ,staying close to Belenus's armored leg. For a long while they followed the creek bed, Toby sniffing the ground every few feet as he followed the invisible thread drawing them deeper into the wood.

Huge misshapen and blackened oaks with branches growing from odd places at odd angles pushed at the limbs of silvery birches as if locked in a timeless and elemental conflict. The grotesque oaks and stately birches formed two impenetrable walls flanking either side of the stream-bed.

An eternity seemed to pass, but Belenus knew it could only have been a few minutes since they had entered the Scar. His breathing came rough and uneven and he struggled to keep his limbs from shaking. The snow, though light, seemed to drag on his feet.

Toby barked and leapt forward to nuzzle at a grey mass blocking the path. Belenus bent down over the still form of Jerod, covered in black soot. He put his ear to the older man's chest and heard a faint heartbeat thumping.

Cold snow on the farmers face quickly brought him back into a groggy consciousness.

"Belenus,. Martha said you'd come, that I should wait. But I couldn't."

"Hush. I'm here now Jerod," said Belenus. He wished he felt as confident as he tried to sound. He wiped soot from the farmers face. "Tell me what happened."

"It's him Belenus. The beast. From when you was little. He's got the same white smoky hair, the same armor with those great horns on his helm. I seen him that day you know, when you come out of the Scar. I never told you, but..."

"Quiet. Nevermind the past. Tell me what happened tonight."

"It's about half a league up the trail. I seen a fire and figured the twins must have lit it. But when I got close he came on me. I, I ran Belenus. But he caught me. Right here. He was on top of me and then, I, I blacked out."

"What about the twins?"

"He's got them. They're there beside the fire. Asleep. Or..."

"Belenus," said Jerod grabbing at the wrist of the armored figure. "How come he let me live? How come he let you live that day, but not Jenny or your folks?"

Belenus did not answer. He looked north up the trail and squinted to make out the pinpoint of a fire in the distance.

Then, as if seeing it for the first time, Jerod noticed the armor. "Belenus, why you wearin armor? You ain't gonna fight him are ya? That's what your dad tried to do. "

"Isn't that why you brought me here Jerod? Isn't that what the whole damn village expects of me?"

"Well, I, I just wanted some help is all. I, I never meant for you to...to sacrifice....."

Belenus bent down and undid Tobie's leash. "Go on boy. Get on home. While you can."

"Listen Jerod. Listen hard.This is what we are going to do. I'm going to rush the fire and draw him off. Then you go in and try to wake the twins. If you can't wake them, you'll have to carry them. You grab them. You start running. And you don't stop for anything. Understand?"

"But what about you?

"Once I get him chasing me I'll head up the stream-bed. If I can keep him off I might make it to orc country. He won't follow me there." Silently he added, at least I hope not.

"Ok Belenus," said Jerod, his eyes growing big and moonlight illuminating his raised eyebrows. "I'll do just as you say."

###

The beast floated in silence over the fire, as if guarding the two small unconscious forms nearby until the unknown power that had animated it might come and claim the sacrifice.

It was as he remembered. A legless tornado of smoke, topped with a horned helm from under which white smoky hair curled out to frame a black featureless face with two glowing coals where eyes should be.

"Come beast. Let's see how you deal with a man, not a little boy."

The black mass shifted, The glowing coals flared from red to white and a hissing and crackling voice erupted into the still night air.

"Know you."

Acrid smoke entered his throat and irritated his nostrils. "Yes beast, you and I have unfinished business. Don't we?"

Belenus drew his sword and sucked in deep lungfuls of cold night air, then, his mouth clamped shut he lunged forward at the billowy mass and struck.

Nothing. No resistance. How could he kill something he could not hit?

He withdrew and sucked in great lungfuls of the cold night air, his head beginning to ache, black soot covering the once gleaming blade.

The beast left the fire and floated towards the youth. Two arms coalesced from the whirling mass of smoke. From the end of each arm a flaming sword of fire erupted to light up the still night air.

Belenus turned and began to run. North. Up the trail towards orc country. He heard a loud roar and thunder behind him and risked a glance over his shoulder. Yes. He's following. Come on beast. He ran harder.

Another glance over his shoulder. It was gaining on him. He saw Jerrod start for the fire.

He spurred his legs, aching now, to greater speed. The torch in his hand threatened to extinguish itself from the cold air whistling by him. Is that ice ahead? If that's ice I'm done for. Just one step and I'm done for.

No, not ice. Just a bare spot on a rock where snow refused to cling. Maybe. Maybe if I outrun this creature I'll make it to orc country. Maybe it won't follow. Maybe the orcs won't take me prisoner. Maybe I'll live.

He looked over his shoulder and stopped. The beast floated silently, unmoving, as if some invisible tether held it back.

"Mrrrr. Hrrrr. Hrrrr. Trick." It turned and retreated down the path towards the fire.

Belenus tensed his aching and shuddering leg muscles to sprint after the beast, then stopped.

The trees seemed to sway and move and a path seemed to open for him, a silver ribbon of freedom that seemed to stretch for leagues. He squinted. Was that the southern pass at the end? He hesitated. A straight shot to the southern pass? Just one step was all it would take. Nobody would ever know. They'd just think he'd died with Jared and the twins. Warm climes, dusky women, no more cold ever again.

The image roared into his mind. Jenny. A small boy thrusting at a column of smoke. His father, mouthing words. But clear this time. Clearer then he'd ever heard before.

"Kill it. kill the..."

"Fire."

Of course. Smoke can't live without fire. Fire can't live without fuel. A tinker should know that. How could he have been so blind?

He reached for the bag at his side, threw the legionnaire's helm to the ground, and replaced it with the long snouted leather mask.

He flew down the trail, like some primitive bird of prey about to swoop onto its hapless meal.

"No," hissed the beast, realizing its danger.

Belenus kicked at the fire, sending burning branches flying in all directions, hissing and steaming as they landed in the snow.

The beast dropped on him and let loose its full fury. Massive dense clouds of blinding smog surrounded him, blotting out the moon and leaving him in darkness. Even through the padding of the masks snout, smoke entered his lungs. He kicked burning branches into snow and trod on every dim pinpoint of light that he could see through the smoke covered quartz eyepieces. Another moment and he would be asleep. Unconsciousness closed in on him.

And then it was done. The fire out. The beast gone.

###

Belenus and Jerod emerged from the Scar, each carrying one of the twins. The early morning sun hit Belenus full in the face and he stood still for a moment, letting the tension drain from his exhausted muscles.

Jerod took Belenus aside after the villagers had taken the twins from them.

"Belenus," he shuffled his feet a bit and looked to the ground. :If theres ever anything I can do...."

Belenus put his arm about Jerod's shoulder and began to steer him towards the mill. "Well, Jerod." He paused for a moment. "How do you feel about learning to fix a broken gear tooth?"
© Copyright 2012 BeginnerWriter (talher at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1896956-Smoke