*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1897791-Deep-In-The-Woods
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1897791
Avery didn't know why he wanted her, all she knew was, she needed to run.
Deep In The Woods

By: J. A. Cunningham



         Avery ran as quickly as she could, Darian was right on her tail.  He swore that if he ever caught her alone, no one would ever see her again. She had never understood what she had done so wrong, all Avery knew was right now is, she needed to run.

         “You’re not going to get away this time,” Darian yelled as he quickly gained on her. “You’re mine…” He reached out to grab her as she quickly darted to the left, strait for the woods.

         She disappeared into the dark shadows that fell from the towering trees. The canvas of leaves so thick, light barely broke through, but that didn't slow her down, Avery knew where she was going. Her run slowed to a brisk walk, as the biggest tree of the woods came into view.

         “Oh, Great One, I need your help.” Avery pleaded as she gently stroked the bark of the tree. “That man I told you about, Darian, he is chasing me.” She sighed heavily, “I do believe he intends on hurting me.”

         All the leaves throughout the woods began to shake, as the wind began to pick up. “Little one… you know… I will… not let… anyone… harm you…” The tree replied.

         Darian entered the woods not knowing which way, Avery, had ran. Slowly keeping through as not to make too much noise, he carefully looked behind one tree after another. “Come out, come out, where ever you are.” He bellowed. As the wind began to pick up he could hear laughter. “Ah ha,” he said quickly jumping around the tree. Nobody was there. Standing there listening carefully, Darian, tried to make out where the laughter came from. With the wind blowing, he swore it sounded like hundreds of girls laughing. He listened closer, and could make out something else; “Come this way… If you want me… Come this way…” It sounded like, Avery, but why would she give away where she was?

         Following in the direction of Avery’s voice, Darian wasted no time. Along the way he picked up a large stick. “She’s going to pay for this.” He said, while swinging the stick like a club. It didn’t take long before, Darian, could see Avery. Sitting at the base of a very large tree, she was waving at him. Darian took off running straight at her, “You little son of a…” Darian went flying off his feet, he had been struck by something.

         “You… Do not… belong here…” A deep powerful voice scalded Darian.

         “Who the heck said that?” he questioned, while getting back to his feet.

         Laughter, and chattering erupted all around him. The wind started blowing as the voices increased. If he didn’t know any better, Darian, Swore the woods were closing in on him. Grabbing the stick again, he gave one last attempt at catching Avery. “Die!” He yelled running at her with the stick held like a javelin.

         “No… You will… Die…” The deep voice bellowed.
Darian looked up when he heard the voice. His eyes opened wide with horror, when he noticed the tree had eyes. Not only eyes there was a mouth as well. He felt something grab the back of his shirt. Spinning around there was nothing there, Darian realized he was being lifted off the ground. Looking up, he noticed the branch holding him up by the back of his shirt. Darian started swinging the stick at the branch trying to get free.

         “It will… Do you… No good…” The tree warned him. “You will… not… bother her… any more…” Lifting Darian up high, the branch that held him arched towards the mouth of the tree.

         “NO…” Darian yelled as he was tossed into the darkness that was the mouth of the tree.

         “You are… Safe...” A branch from the tree reached down patting Avery on the shoulder. “Like I… have always… said… I will… not let... anyone… harm you…”

         Avery hugged the tree the best she could. “Thank you, father.”
© Copyright 2012 J. A. Cunningham (jacunningham at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1897791-Deep-In-The-Woods