*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1897812-The-Zero--Chapter-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Romance/Love · #1897812
Rachel takes in a dying beggar and brings him luxury and an opportunity to be a somebody.
Chapter 1: It Was You

The cold night breeze was relentless, Rachel's fingers were numb as they held her collar tighter. Running through the icy pavement wasn't the best thing to do now, falling to a concussion is very probable. But she was cold, so very cold that getting home was the only thing on her mind. So she ran as fast as her shivering body could. She regretted not bringing a scarf, it was all because she was late in handing in her manuscript again. Her editor had been pulling hairs out over that one week late draft. Rachel is starting to think that her outbreak of writing blocks are going to end her career as a novelist soon.

But what else could she do? It was the one and only thing she could do and thrive well from it. Her last few top bestsellers earned her millions. The cash from those older novels a few years ago keeps flowing in, though slowly but surely it will soon be not enough one day despite how filthy rich she was now. But her newer books weren't doing as well as expected. They weren't bad, they just weren't good enough according to her editor and fans. Veteran fan of her's were starting to lose loyalty and turned to those vampire love stories instead.

Suddenly, Rachel heard a faint groan through the loud wind. A muffled cry of pain coming from the alley on. She saw feet turned blue sticking out of the snow, shifting slightly. A man covered in snow? He's going to freeze to death! But what could she do? Rachel was horribly terrified of germs and would never go near a hobo. Though 'germs' weren't exactly the best reason to leave a man to die. And her kind heart felt devastated for him. Why was he left outside to die?

Wincing slightly, her fear of germs completely washed away when she pulled him out of the snow, replaced with the fear that this man was not going to make it. He was probably already pneumonic, dressed in torn rags and with a bleeding gash that deep on his leg, he's horrible shape. "It'll be okay, my house is only 2 minutes away. I'll send you to the hospital after I call Robbie out" she reassured him, though he didn't seem to be listening, unconscious with half lidded eyes and pale blue skin.

Rachel flipped her phone out and dialed her chauffeur, "Robbie, drive out now! We have a dying man here and he needs a hospital!"

"Ma'am, do you know what time it is?" Robbie slurred, probably just awoken.

"What?! It's only 8pm! And you were supposed to pick me up hours ago!"

"I'm sorry ma'am, I guess I didn't hear your call, you know how deep I get into naps"

"Gosh! Just get out here already! I'm like 2 minutes away! If this man dies I'm going to fire you!"

"Okay, okay. Whatev..." and he hangs up.

"Ugh! I'm so sorry, he is seriously the worst person I've ever hired," she ranted towards the non-responsive man on the ground. He's still breathing, but barely. She applied pressure onto his wound, causing him to yelp slightly. "Stay with me. We'll fix you up and everything will be fine... Trust me".

Robbie arrived with the black Mercedes before 2 minutes. He quickly helped Rachel with carrying the man in the car. Rachel sat at the back and tried to stop the bleeding.

They managed to reach the hospital in time and the man survived. Rachel then realized she was covered in blood and immediately rushed to wash it off. Robbie was left to give out details to the nurse about the strange victim that he didn't know. But his employer made it clear that she wanted to keep and nurse that potentially dangerous man until he's well again, because he is obviously homeless. But it wasn't a bloody injured cat you could keep as a pet! Isn't helping him to the hospital good enough?

"A relative?"

"Nope, he's a hobo. We found him on the street. Our deed is done here, so please take care of him and make sure he doesn't find us just to thank us. I've had enough of "gratitude" since the last time a man she helped arrived with "thank you" flowers pulled out a gun from it and robbed us!" he huffed.

The nurse just blinked at him, "My, a good samaritan. Many people would just leave him out there you know. You should be proud of her." she stared him up and down, frowning in thought, "She your girlfriend?"

Robbie snickered in disbelief "Never"

She turned away and resumed some errand, "Should've known, she could do better"

"What? Bu-... how dare you! I am




Chapter 1 to be continued! sorry, this chapter is not done! I don't have time now. I'll post it anyway and resume the next day.


Author's note: Sorry kinda rushing, I always get pulled away from my writings. You can choose to not review yet, it's still kinda the beginning, but i swear it gets better.. i hope? :/
© Copyright 2012 Raspberry_vineyard09 (violetvienna at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1897812-The-Zero--Chapter-1