*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1898088-A-True-Gift-From-the-Past
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Sailor
Rated: · Fiction · Dark · #1898088
A Thank you letter to a creepy toy company.
Dear Sir or Madam,

         My name is Debbi- Lynn Shingles. I own and run a daycare for children newborn and up, The Nap Factory. I was recently at a toy sale that a local company held as part of its going out of business sale.  While shopping there I came across a set of toys from the 80’s. These toys were so much fun for me as a child that I just had to buy all they had and share it with my daycare.

Oh I remember when our family would stay up to the wee hours of the night playing this game in our back yard under the lights.  Dad always told us kids to never take our eyes off the target ring or he would miss. So even though I always wanted to look up and see what was going on, I knew because I trusted my dad that if I took my eyes off the target ring it would miss and we would have to stop playing.

My little brother and I loved the times that we played. We were finally a family. During the week dad always said he was at his real family’s house but he was just a big kidder and we all knew he worked really hard during those days that he was gone.  Mom and Uncle Bub used to talk about how long he was gone for and they would laugh. Then they always had to fix the plug in mom’s room. I think she got shocked a lot. They weren’t very good electricians, I could tell because of all the screaming.

Those were some pretty good days but my family and I were playing on the worst day of my life also. We were all playing. Tensions were up. Mom and Dad were so into it they were swearing and saying things like hate you. Really tense I tell you.  My brother and I were extra focused that night. Our eyes were tight in on those targets so my dad wouldn’t miss.

Dad swung his arm and swung his arm. It was going so fast we could hear it cutting thru the air.  As the whirling sound became constant and loudening…..he let go. We all stood still for what seemed like minutes. Them fighting, us focused. The next thing I know I heard a thud and then my mom swept me up in her arms and whisked me to the kitchen. I heard my dad cry out NO and then I heard his car’s tires squeal out of the yard.

I had learned only hours later that my little brother had decided to go live with the Gypsy’s and my dad had taken off after them thus is why he squealed out of the yard. Funny thing is though  I never even saw my brother who was only 8 talk to or associate with anyone let alone gypsy’s.  I never saw him again. Dad never came home anymore after night either. Mom said his work was backed up and he would have to stay away a long time this time.

So I have some truly wonderful memories and some sad ones too. But that’s life, right? Well thank you so much for be such a positive game in my child hood and I owe everything to you. Thanks again LAWN DARTS!

                                                           Yours Truly,

                                                           Debbi Lynn Shingles

© Copyright 2012 Sailor (hikenme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1898088-A-True-Gift-From-the-Past