*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1899355-Trick-or-Trick
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1899355
The fun of Halloween at the tender age of 4.
         The night is not passing nearly fast enough; I am four years old and I am so eager to go gather up candy and run around in my Wonder Woman costume that it’s not funny! Grandma keeps telling my brother and me to settle down that it won’t be too much longer. She tries to entertain us but nothing works until she comes up with a spectacular idea... Grandma calls us into the kitchen and has us to sit at the table. She hands each one of us a plate, a butter knife and several slices of cheese. Meanwhile, she is frying hamburgers and making tomato soup. She tells us to take the knives and cut out our favorite Halloween designs. We do and this is so much fun! She asks us if we are finished and when we tell her that we are she tells us to come watch what she is going to do with them. She takes the hamburger patties out of the sizzling hot grease and places them on a bun, one at a time. She then takes the cheese and places it on the hamburger patties. We watch in amazement as the Halloween designs become distorted and very funny looking. They still look like what they really are but now they have a weird eerie look to them. Finally, she sits us down with our open faced cheeseburgers that we are so proud of and a bowl of tomato soup. We laugh and talk about the fun we are about to have.

         Now that dinner is over, Grandma agrees to take us out on our adventure. We start wandering around our neighborhood; we get tons of candy at every house because all of the neighbors know us. As we finish with the last house we plead with Grandma to take us somewhere else… she reluctantly agrees. In the car we combine all of our candy in a small trash bag and we honestly cannot believe how much we had gathered up already!

         We arrive at the neighborhood  we were going to and Grandma warns us that we better stay with her because we were not at home. We agree but that is going to take so much of the fun out of it! We start going from house to house and the more we trick or treat the more hyper we get. I start running around and Grandma is fussing at me, telling me to stay with her or we are going to go home. I listen for a few minutes but of course being so young I take off again. I start running up to the next house, I run across the leaf scattered yard in eager anticipation of what is to come. Ouch! Now, I have tripped over something.

         As I try to stand up I realize that I did not trip, that something has a hold of my ankle. I try to break free but I can’t. I am pulling and fighting as hard as I can and I am screaming at the top of my lungs. I am terrified, why can’t I get free? I finally get a little release from what is holding on to me but I still can’t break completely free. I beg for my grandma to come help me. She starts coming towards me to help and I turn back to look at my ankle wondering what could be going on. As I look up there is this werewolf staring me in the eyes, I scream and try my best to get free but I can’t. He quickly reaches up and grabs me with both hands making some sort of creepy growling sound. I jump up in sheer terror; I finally break free and take off running down the street. I’m screaming and crying hysterically!

         I fall on the concrete not too far from where the werewolf tried to eat me. I rip the knees out of my costume but I don’t really care. I am too scared to care. I look down and my knees are bleeding. Still, I am too scared to care. I sit there relieved to be away but crying because I am so scared. I hear voices laughing as they approach me. I look up and it is Grandma and some old man holding a mask and gloves in his hands. I stand up ready to run again but Grandma assures me that everything is okay. The man apologizes for scaring me so badly and explains when he is under the leaves he has no way of knowing how young or old his victim is. Grandma laughs and simply says, “If she had listened and stayed with me it never would have happened. I think she learned a valuable lesson.”
© Copyright 2012 Angel_Eyes (angelapurser at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1899355-Trick-or-Trick