*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1901150-Linger
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1901150
What happens when what you love most is gone? Time stops.
Linger

She stood in the doorway, the only light coming from the Bumblebee night light. Even in the darkness, she knew every small detail. Each wall was painted a dark blue covered in pictures and posters of superheroes, Transformer characters, and other characters from children’s shows that she could not name.
At one end, the dresser was the picture of disaster. Drawers hung open, dirty and clean clothes draping from it. On the top, action figures fought their last battle, some conquering, others falling in defeat. Coins were scattered underneath the fallen comrades, tokens of a day at the arcade.
Shelves held his video games and other objects thrown there. The twin size bed was covered with dark blue sheets just like his walls and a comforter imprinted with more Transformers. It still held the outline of his form.
She could hear his shallow, soft breathing and the mumbles of a dream. She wondered what he was dreaming about. It was probably an adventure with his favorite superheroes or maybe he was with Optimus Prime. She only wished he was with the large, blue and red autobot.
She flicked on the light, revealing the correctness of her memory. Everything was in its place except for one. Her eyes dragged her gaze to the bed. The blankets were wrinkled and thrown to the side, empty of warmth. He was not there. He was gone, for three years now.
© Copyright 2012 Desiree Stafford (dstafford at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1901150-Linger