*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903136-The-Disaster
by Kaotic
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #1903136
What would happen if the entire world except 200 people were infected by a deadly virus?
Morning


It has been over 300 years since the disaster happened. The disaster caused everything. The disaster caused the corruption of the world.

Nobody knows why the disaster happened, except it was caused by overpopulation. I am the only one who knows. Most believe that people let off some bombs to destroy half of the population or the world. I know though, that people in themselves were built to end up destroying themselves. No one wants to live forever. No one wants to die either. So they don't die, they destroy their will to live, and then destroy themselves and all around them.

It happened at the peak of our universe. Humans had just helped the first extraterrestrial race we had found advance to where we were, and we had a strong alliance. We had developed laser weapons at long last, and could travel faster than light. There were a group of  scientists working on developing a cure to Alzheimer's. Needless to say the didn't know it, but a terrorist had infiltrated their ranks, and was about to let off a very large "boom" in their lab. That explosion caused the pathogen to escape.

The pathogen was a very rare bacteria that they had bred. It caused human beings to become very abnormal, in the way that they could remember everything, and never got harmed. The scientists were working on making it less effective and just curing loss of memory. When it escaped, people for some reason didn't gain the "powers" it would normally grant them. No, that bacteria destroyed their will to live, and made them an empty shell that didn't care about anything else, and it had the desire to make all others like him.

There were very few people that weren't infected by the pathogen. Only 200 in fact. Over the years, some have been born, and a lot have died. Only 15 are left now. My name is John Wester. I am the leader.

We have only survived this long because the infected are very weak, and all of our people are expert fighters. Except for Kyle's wife Cindy, she is pregnant. Kyle is my second in command, and the best laser rifle shooter we have. I'm good with a sword.

"John, you in there?" I heard Kyle's voice through the door.

"What do you think? I told you I was going to be in here. Did you think I went out and joined the Kyle's?" I smiled. The Kyle's is an inside joke that me and Kyle share. When he is aiming with his rifle, I noticed one time that he moves exactly like one of the infected.

"Ha ha. Very funny. I just wanted to let you know that George picked up a few hundred of the infected on his radar. We are going to have a heck of a fight in a few hours." he said.

George is our tech expert. All of us believe that George can make a radar with a compass, some LED's and a piece of string. That's what our radar is made out of actually.
"Well, that's not good. Tell the others to prepare. I'll grab my sword." I said.

"Ok, but I  have a feeling something bad is going to happen later." he said as he left the room.

Of course something bad is going to happen later. There are only 15 of us against a few hundred infected. At least one of us is going down.

Afternoon


"John, the infected will be here in an hour. We have to go outside and prepare for them." I heard Kyle say.

"This soon? I have a bad feeling about this. They never attack until after nightfall." I said.

"I know. Kara said that too, but they are here nonetheless" he said.

Kara is our tactician, she is the reason we aren't all dead by now. She plans every battle movement we use.

"Even she said it? That could be bad or worse." I said. "Well, let's get out there." I said.

We walked outside. I don't normally go out of my room. My room is where I train, my room is where I oversee the camps functions. I never need to go out of my room except for battles.

When we got outside I saw a big circle of the infected surrounding us in the distance. They are about a mile away.

The infected are pretty gruesome. What skin they have is dark brown, but they don't have much of it. They are mostly bone. Their faces are mostly the same as when they were living, except they are twisted over on themselves, and they have red pupils, pitch black iris' and dark green sclera's. Nobody knows how they think, or why they try to kill the things that they used to be, but they do.

All of a sudden, I saw them rapidly get closer, and the three people in our front line get engulfed by a mountain of them. I heard them screaming, and then it went silent.

"What just happened?" I said.

"We don't know. That's how they got here before nightfall. We don't know how they started walking faster, but they did. We are now down to 12 people. This is going to be tough." he said.

"Well, what are we waiting for? Them to get at us? Charge!" I yelled.

The 11 fighters that we had charged at the infected. I could hear all of them taking down dozens of them. It was just then that I heard the first scream. Then the second. The third. And the fourth.

"John! They have something new! It's a giant! Nobody can kill it!" I heard Kyle yelling.

"Retreat!" I screamed.

The seven that were left sprinted back to the camp.

"I'm going to go check on Cindy. Some of them might have snuck in." Kyle said.

"How are we going to fight them John? I heard George say.

"I don't know, George, I think that maybe if we can get all of the other infected, the ones that are left might be able to attack it." I said.

"I think that is our best bet. The only other option is to stay here, and not fight. That isn't an option." Kara said.

"I know that. Let's wait until Kyle get's back, and then go for it." I said.

We waited a few minutes.

"No!" I heard Kyle screaming in the camp.

"What's wrong, Kyle!" I yelled back.

"I found Cindy. She died." I heard Kyle crying behind me.

"I'm sorry Kyle. I guess you were right about something bad happening." I said gravely.

I know that Kyle's wife dying is sad, but we need to protect our living.

"What's our plan. I need to pay the infected back for killing my wife. It's necessary." I heard Kyle say with a very distinct vengeance tone in his voice.

"We are going to try and kill all of the infected that are here, and then kill the giant. It's our only hope other than sitting here and not even fighting." I said.

"Let's go for it." he spit out.

We ran towards the infected. All of us have been doing this for all of our lives. We knew that if one of us died, we were to take down as many of the infected with us.
I saw Kyle scramble up onto our roof and shoot at the infected. He would probably be the last to go. I heard a shrill scream. Kara had just went. Our last female. Our only tactician. She would be missed.

My sword was a blur as I stayed at arm length from the infected, and swiped down row upon row of them.

After probably an hour or so, the infected were finally gone, and the giant was the only one left.

"Ok, they're gone now! Retreat!" I yelled.

I ran back to the base, and Kyle was already there.

"Where's everyone else?" I asked.

"We're the only ones. I thought I was the only one until I heard you." he said.

"We... We're the... We're the only ones?" I asked in a daze.

He nodded with a grim look on his face.

"We have to rush the giant by ourselves. We have to, or we won't have a camp to protect anymore." he said.

"Ok, lets go. We can't just sit here all day. We have to fight. You shoot, I'll go in." I said.

I charged at the giant. It was just a disgusting huge version of an infected. Probably ten times the size of a normal one. They must have rallied up most of the infected to be molded together into this.

I reached it, and started swinging my sword. I saw it stop walking towards the camp, and started swinging it's massive arms at me, trying to get rid of me. I sliced open many wounds in him, but was just barely able to dodge. After about ten minutes of fighting it, it's fist finally connected with my stomach. I shot five feet back and skidded for another  ten.

I could feel that I was internally damaged. I was going to die soon. I was going to take this thing down with me. I half ran half limped towards it, and jumped up towards it's face. I had trained myself to jump higher than normal, and I got up ten feet before I started to drop. This was just level with where we assume their hearts are. I plunged my sword into the skin of the infected, and felt it connect with muscle.

I saw the giant fall to it's knees as I fell to the ground. The giant fell on top of me.

I closed my eyes, and saw my parents. They had died when I was seven. I felt a swarm of emotions, but then finally they ended with contentment..

I felt my heart stop, and smiled. The fight was over.
© Copyright 2012 Kaotic (kaoticsoul at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903136-The-Disaster