*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903145-The-Utopia
by Kaotic
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #1903145
When a prodigy is caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. (More to come)
The Utopia


The day started out normally. The lights turned on automatically at 6:00 A.M. and the children from age 5 to 13 got up, did their hygiene and walked to school. Most of them went to the classroom for their respective age groups, but that was different for one boy in particular.

John is something of a prodigy in his town, he can think of such complicated things that even the town's professors have trouble keeping up with his thought process, much less understanding what he thinks. Today is his last day in school, as the next day is when he gets to choose his job.

"John. It has been 4 hours, and you have accomplished almost nothing. Sure you have done your problems, and have also written a little on your book, but you have done nothing on your science project, and likewise with your grammar assignment."

"I know, Mr. West, but I have been distracted. The assignment day is tomorrow, and yet I have absolutely no idea what I should pick." John said.

"You shouldn't be worried. For one, the Calmers might come and take you for Special Teaching, and for the other, you are the most capable person I know, you could pick anything and excel at it." Mr. West said.

"I know that. You have said it enough times to engrave it in my mind, but I don't want to just excel at something, and then be relieved when I retire, I want to enjoy what I do." John said.

"The auto-choices will be enough. The Committee has been watching you since you started school to monitor your interests. They have more of an idea of what you want than you do." Mr. West said.

"I don't believe that for a second. You yourself have said that I am the most secretive person you have met." John said.

Mr. West sighed.

"Think what you may, you will do fine tomorrow. You will pick a job you love." He said.

The day proceeded on as most of John's other days have, with him doing assignments that Mr. West provides him with, and then being graded on them, and repeating this process until school ends at 4:00.

When school ends, he walks home.

"Job tomorrow... Everything alright? I think not..." John mutters.

"What are ya doing there, Special Boy" John hears from behind him.

He turns around, thinking maybe if he seemed hopeful enough, Zack, the town's only bully would just leave him alone.

He should have ran.

"What's wrong with your face? You seem like you're about to burst out cryin'. Don't tell me you're gonna cry." Zack said.

"I'm not going to cry. What do you want Zack? Why won't you just leave me alone?" John said.

"Why won't you leave me alone," Zack mimicks "I'll tell you why I won't leave you alone. I don't want you to get assigned a job tomorrow. I want you to have to live until you retire in misery."

"Why?" John said.

"Just because. It's in my nature!" Zack says.

Zack advanced toward John. When he is a foot away, he swings a fist towards John.

Overwhelmed with a strange power, John moves his body just out of the range of Zack's punch. Without even exerting any force, his body just takes control over his mind, and John dances toward Zack, and does a rapid assault with punches and kicks until Zack falls over.

"Wha... How..." Zack spits out.

John feels his mind coming over control of his body, and starts backing away. He turned, to find two Calmers watching him.

"What? What are you doing here?" John whispers fearfully.

"We were doing our rounds when we saw you doing that to that poor boy. We came over, and waited it out." The one on the right says.

"We are taking you to the Teaching Room" The one on the left says.

Knowing that there was no way he could escape, John let the guards take him.

A bag was put over his head, and he was marched through what felt like a maze, until the bag was removed in a dimly lit room.

"Why did you do it, John. You had a bright future, you could have done anything you wanted, but you choose to destroy it all in a fight. Now you will be Taught." John heard from the other side of the room.

"Please... No... I don't want to be Taught," he says.

"That doesn't matter. You broke the rules, now you will be," the mysterious voice says.

Two Calmers come in from either side of the room. One binds him with a leather handcuff, while the other prepares a needle.

Being Taught was one of the most feared things in the town. In the perfect society that had been built, there were still people that had a violent nature and tended to break the rules. These people were escorted to the Teaching Room, and were never seen again. People who were there were referred to as being Taught.

"We are going to put this in your arm. You will black out for a little while. No need to be afraid." One of the Calmers said.

John tested his bonds and realized they weren't even on. They were just leather bracelets.

When the Calmer with the needle turned around to sterilize it, John got up and walked out. He knew he would never be able to return to the town, so he turned and walked into the surrounding forest.
© Copyright 2012 Kaotic (kaoticsoul at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903145-The-Utopia