*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1906458-The-Mirror
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1906458
Can any one person stare at beauty itself....
We never saw them again.

The words resonated through her mind like the sound of a blowing horn. She couldn’t get the thought out of her head. Even standing here now, tempting fate itself, she couldn’t stop wondering if it were true.

The mirror gleamed at her. No human had ever been reflected on its shimmering surface and Lillian could see exactly why. The clear, reflecting glass was too beautiful, too perfect, to proud to ever cast back the image of such an impurity as the human race.

Lillian inched closer, one foot in front of the other. It was calling to her, willing her forwards, whispering her into a trance that she neither wanted nor fought to resist. Every nerve on the surface of her skin started to tingle with anticipation.

Is this how they had vanished? Lulled into a daze of awe? Bathed in moonlight so strong it felt like she was standing in the clear of day?

Closer, something whispered behind her ear. She took another step. The air got cooler, the breeze gave her an impatient whip at the back of neck making every hair stand on end.

This was it. She was so close now she could almost reach out and touch its surface. Her breathing got quicker. Her heart started to thud in her ears. One more step forwards.

Don’t touch the shard, something called, but she didn’t listen. She didn’t want to listen. Lillian wanted this moment for herself. She wanted to touch the very surface of beauty and live to see the sun again.

She lifted an arm. Her heart now thudded like drums in both ears. Adrenaline filled her, willing her forwards.

And then all was still. All was perfect. Never changing, and the moon flooded down onto Lillian, forever.
© Copyright 2012 Rturner19936 (rturner1987 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1906458-The-Mirror