*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1908709-The-Will-to-Survive-Chapter-Four
Rated: 18+ · Other · Dark · #1908709
We switch back to our original protagonist as he battles for his life.
Texas, January sixth, 2016

James hid behind a dumpster in a back alley of what was once Dallas. He has been alone since the start of all this shit. Parents dead in his ransacked house. That was two years ago. Now he barely maintains his life living on what he can find, the dead are always a threat, but they weren’t the only one. Humans were as dangerous as the quickest biter. James took a quick look at his inventory; in his pack he had a couple canned goods, basic med supplies, and a couple personal items from his old life. He took stock of the things on him next; his Kevlar vest, a hunting machete sheathed on his back, and a Ruger SR9 in his hand. Gun fire sprayed the asphalt next to his cover.

“I’ll get your pussy ass!” The lunatic said as he waved his UZI in the air. “You think you can just come into OUR territory and take OUR supplies!”

James stayed where he was under cover. All this gun fire must be attracting the undead, also he counted at least three other men across the street with the main guy who seemed to be their “leader”.

“You” the main said pointing at one of his underlings “Go across the street right next to him, scare him out!”

James made a point to shoot two times from his cover into the wall right next to them, he was trying to hit them but being accurate is kind of hard when firing blind.

“Fuck no man, those things will be coming soon and I’ll be completely exp-“

He was cut off by a gun shot, when James risked a peek around the dumpster he saw the man with the UZI standing over the now dead guy.

“Well then, one less weak piece of shit, hey you, Jack” he pointed at one of the other two, “Unless you wanna end up like him get your fucking ass over there”

Jack ran across the street towards the safety of the wall. James aimed and put a bullet in the guy’s head, he fell forward still propelled by his momentum.

“God fucking damn it!” The leader yelled as he waved his gun in the air.

James had only two of the four left to deal with, he also knew that biters will be coming soon. If he could just hold out a little longer maybe that could save him, or get him killed.

“Ok fuck this, we need to rush him he can’t kill both of us.” The last man raved to his leader.

“Are you out of your fucking mind Kevin?”

Just then down the street mobs of the undead were heading their way.

“Shit shit shit, we gotta get out of here man!” Kevin yelled, suddenly running out of the building right into one of the creatures. It bit into him, dragging him down.

UZI guy ran down the street firing wildly into the crowds doing nothing but motivating the undying towards him. As he ran James made a break for the abandoned liquor store they left. His hopes of easy passage was dashed as a biter grabbed his arm, quickly he grabbed the machete out of its sheath with his free hand, and slashed off the fiend’s head.

He then broke into the building and started barricading the windows and doors with what he could find. He was able to get the main door and the broken windows covered but the biters were already pounding on the door, it wouldn’t be long before one got in.

He counted himself lucky one of the big ones wasn’t around; the brute would just tear through his flimsy protection. However, he can’t stay here it won’t take long for them to break in. He looked around and noticed that there was an attic to this place. If he could get in there, he could break out onto the roof, all the buildings were pretty close together should be able to jump onto a nearby roof and get the fuck out of here.

Just then a spray of bullets hit the building, James barely jumped to cover before the hail was able to shatter the windows and put holes into the walls next to him. The bastard was still alive. Now the beasts were climbing in. James climbed the ladder to the attic barely kicking off a biter who grabbed his leg.

When he got into the attic he noticed a horrible smell. Then he saw the former owner. Decayed to hell he was able to recognize a man once in his sixties. Around him were bottles of whisky, wine, beer, you name it. In the corpse’s hand was a revolver, the old man did himself in.

James then used the machete to cut through the roof, and from there he took cover worried about the hail of bullets sure to come. When he was sure it was safe he risked a peek down, he then saw the leader dead on the ground with a crowd of biters tearing into him.

“Well then karma's a bitch, ain’t it?” James commented as he got ready to leap across a small gap to safety.





© Copyright 2012 Michael E (death6997 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1908709-The-Will-to-Survive-Chapter-Four