*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1909782-Christmas-Hell
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1909782
A woman on a diet confronts her mother in law at a Christmas party
"Sweetheart, are you ready yet? Mom is expecting us."



Kim would prefer being tied to a chair, and forced to watch twenty straight hours of "Jersey Shore", than have to spend one hour with her mother-in-law. The woman made her feel like she was imcompent, helpless, and unworthy of her beloved son.



She was an accomplished woman. She had a Master's in Psychology, and was a respected counselor. Yet, she still managed to be at her son's soccer games, and her daughter's dance recitals. Her friends would describe her as funny, intelligent and intensely loyal. In the suburban town where they lived, there was a lot of phoniness and manipulative behavior that existed between women. Kim tried to rise above all that and was widely respected because for that reason.



Yet, her mother-in law had not liked her from day one. She was fat. And she came from the west side of town. As far as Tim's mother was concerned, anyone from the west side was white trash and that was that.



She had recently started a new diet which was about the 435th one she'd attempted. This one consisted of eating nothing but grapes and soup broth. She had lost four pounds. But she felt like she was ready to kill someone.



Millicent was at the door waiting to pounce when they arrived. She had the ever-present fake smile plastered on her face.



"So how's my Timmy?" The food is in the kitchen Kim. Don't pretend that isn't where you're headed."



Kim had to give her husband's mother credit for one thing. There was nothing fake about her. When she hated someone she made it quite obvious.



Kim didn't go for the food this time. She went for the wine instead. And after four or five refills of liquid courage she was ready to confront Tim's mother.



She waited until when everyone else had gone and only the three of them remained. Then she ripped into her mother-in law. Big time.



"Mrs Sorenson, Tim and I have been married fourteen years and all you've ever done is belittle me. I am a good wife, a good mom, and a good friend, I am tired of you making me feel like a piece of crap and I think it's time I finally said so."



Tim grabbed her by the arm and all but dragged her out the door. "You're drunk Kim. Let's go home."



She had a wide grin on her face as they drove home. She had incurred the wrath of both her husband and her evil monster in law. But it had been well worth it.
© Copyright 2012 kathleen ann whalen (kathyonyx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1909782-Christmas-Hell