*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1910341-The-Proposal
Rated: 13+ · Other · Romance/Love · #1910341
Jenna gets an unexpected proposal from her boyfriend Billy
"Hey Baby. It's me. Just callin' to see when you were gonna be home. Me and the kids are all here waitin'."



Jenna listened to the voice-mail as she pulled out of the parking lot of the restaurant where she worked. It was unusual for Billy to call her like that. He normally didn't bother her about when she would be home.



They had been together four years. They each had a kid from a previous relationship, and now they had seventeen- month old Ashley. It was hard making their blended family work but they somehow managed.



They hadn't ever really talked about marriage and Jenna never brought it up. She had been through hell the first time and had no desire to go through that again. They were happy with the way things were and there was no need to mess that all up as far as Jenna was concerned.



Billy Garrity was a decent man but there were times when Jenna felt regret. Regret for not going to college, and for marrying a man at eighteen who was not nice to her. She knew that that she would never have a big house, a fancy car, or a trip to Europe.



Her ten year old son Jake was standing on the porch of their small rented house when she drove up. She was shocked to see he was wearing a clean white shirt and a nice pair of jeans



"Hey Mom. Billy is in the house waiting. He's taking us all out for dinner for your birthday."



She had totally forgotten. Or maybe she had chosen to forget.



Billy was at the kitchen table and was also wearing a neatly pressed shirt and a pair of khakis. She didn't know he owned a pair of khakis.



"Hey. Get upstairs and change your clothes, woman. We're goin' out on the town. All of us."



"Billy Garrity, you are crazy. You know we can't afford a fancy place for dinner."



Yet it was hard to say no when the kids seemed so happy. Billy's six year old daughter, Becca was twirling around the kitchen in a frilly pink dress.



"Let's get going,Daddy! Let's get going!"



Jenna went upstairs and changed into a red satin blouse and black pants. She even slapped on a little lipstick. The last thing she wanted to do was go out to dinner after serving rude, nasty people all day. A pizza and a DVD at home would have been fine with her.



They all piled into the car and drove to Allesandro's. It was the best Italian place in town. It would eat up about two weeks of Billy's paycheck.



They all ordered. Then everyone got really quiet. Even baby Ashley managed to settle down as Billy took the floor.



"Jenna. I love you. I know we don't say mushy stuff like that, but I do .

Jenna, will you marry us?"



Jake and Becca were both giggling. "Yeah, Mom. Please say yes!" Jake said.



Jenna felt tears form in her eyes. She would never have a fancy house, a fancy car, or a vacation to Europe. But she had a man who loved her, and wonderful kids. What more could she ask for then that?



"Yes. I will. Let's all get married!"



Billy took a small velvet box from his shirt pocket and placed the ring on her finger. Everyone in the place cheered, and the waiter brought over a special birthday/ engagement chocolate cake.



It was her most memorable birthday ever.



































© Copyright 2012 kathleen ann whalen (kathyonyx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1910341-The-Proposal