*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1911972-My-Mentor
Rated: E · Other · Family · #1911972
We learn in various ways, a mentor is the best method. Having a mentor is a blessing.
"I can do that" and "that can not be that hard", are typical phrases from the the diy type of person. A healthy dose of curiosity and a willingness to learn helps in tackling projects of various difficulties. There is a great deal of satisfaction in completing a project with your own ingenuity. Learning the skills for such endeavors usually comes from two sources. First there is formal education, sitting under a teacher in various settings is one way to learn. The second method more informal, but no less valuable. Information is passed down by a mentor.  Rare is the individual who is completely self taught. Most learn from a combination of the two, applying lessons from each.

Another method similar to the first, is the reading of books. Utilizing the local library is a lost art. Now, with the internet anything from auto repairs to crafts and everything in between can be found. I admit to these resource on numerous occasions to learn something. It is a great time saver.

It is the second method that I want to discuss. Not to dismiss books, teachers, libraries and even the internet, there is nothing like having a mentor show and teach a skill. My dad was such a man. Not much in the way of formal education, he was none the less very smart in practical manners. His tools were always kept neat and in order, emphasizing the importance of using good tools. He knew how to fix most anything. Woodworking was something he was particularly good at. He passed onto my brother and me various skills and insights that no book could ever give. Many times he helped us out of jams. Sometimes he would pitch right in and do what was needed, always teaching. Other times he would give instruction, and leave us to finish, never far away.

I remember one particular rainy night coming home from work in my old truck. The tires were slick, offering little traction on the rain covered streets. I ended up putting the truck into a ditch on a sharp curve. This was in the days before cell phones. I climbed out of the ditch heading for the nearest pay phone. "Dad we have a problem", now he had nothing to do with the truck in the ditch. But he came anyway with a neighbor to help pull me out of the ditch. Dad is a great guy, willing to help out anyway he can.

Lately I have had to rely on the Internet more. My dad has Parkinson's and can no longer help like he used. There were a few times before he became completely debilitated that I asked him to help on projects. I knew he would not be much help, but I needed his insights and presence as much as anything. One was a roof repair, I did not expect him to physically get up on the roof, but he was able to instruct, a big help. Second, the water heater needed to be replaced. Not keen on soldering, I asked dad to show me what to do. Having him there during the delicate process of joining copper pipes together was such a blessing. That was the last time he was able to help on a project. Shortly after we had to make the difficult decision to place him in nursing facility.

Books, teachers and the Internet, though vast in information will never replace the human touch of a great mentor. I appreciate the lessons my dad taught me, using them daily. Given the choice, I would much rather call dad, once more learning a new skill.
Dad I miss your insights, though what you taught has not been forgotten.
© Copyright 2013 Michael J (mjdaugh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1911972-My-Mentor