*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1915199-Enemy
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Aelyah
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1915199
There's a villain in every story.
"Better is the enemy of good." Anna told Alex as they trudged up the narrow mountain path.

"And let Dan run away with the treasure? After all the time we spent comparing maps?"

"We have a bagful of coins and the jewelry we dug the last week. I'd say it'd be enough for a nice promotion."

Anna stopped to catch her breath then continued:
"We had the best terrain and it didn't disappoint us. Dan took only the small tower at the top of the mountain. "

"Exactly. Watch your step my dear, the bridge is slippery."

"This was crazy, the Stanton expedition turned every brick in that tower over twenty-five years ago.”

"Stanton is the maiden name of Dan's mother-in-law."

"How do you know?"

"Well... I know..."

Anna's blue eyes twinkled and kicked Alex in mock outrage. His down coat was soft as a pillow and her fist sunk in it.

"Do you regret or you're happy she married Dan? I know she wishes to turn back time."

Anna reached for a banana on the side of her backpack.
"So you think Stanton hid something he discovered here? He could have returned for it"

"If not for the accident two years later. I think Dan's onto something."

"Well, if he finds the big treasure before us, he'd surely hit it with the museum. How big do you think it is? Two bags more would bring him new job, new office..."

Alex grinned.
"Maybe he doesn't care about his job at the museum. Nor do I."

"You mean to run with the treasure? But why? We'd have it so good..."

Alex stopped munching on the green pepper and peered at Anna.
"Think big, my dear! You're mistaken, better is not the enemy of good, it's good that's enemy of better."
© Copyright 2013 Aelyah (aelyah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1915199-Enemy