*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1999514-An-old-wives-tale
by Aelyah
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1999514
Contest Entry

'I guess I'm late.' Victor stated the obvious.

He tried to show pain for aunt Tina's passing but failed miserably. Emma smiled in understanding, he'd been away for two decades.

'The will would be read in ten minutes, take a seat, please.'

The attorney droned the few possessions aunt Tina left Emma and her mouth curved with amusement when Victor's face fell as the lawyer handed her the urn containing aunt Tina's ashes.

'She wished you spread her ashes. She mentioned you knew where.'

Then Victor approached Emma:

'Remember the confederate treasure she talked about when we were kids? The key would belong to the last of the Watsons to come home. There's no mention of it. That's an old wives tale! I knew it!'

Emma smiled and nodded.

'An old wife's tale indeed!'

Victor sighed in defeat.

'She looked young and enthusiastic about the story. She used to tell me: One day you'd know I speak the truth, Victor.'

Emma placed the urn on the table and gave him an empathetic hug.

'She loved you, Victor. She hoped you'd come to see her. '

She paused for a moment to wipe her tears.

'And you did, I am so grateful for it. She would be very happy if you laid some flowers on her plaque at the cemetery.'

Victor nodded and smiled.

'I'll take you to the train station, then.'

Emma smiled with gratitude and a short while later she waved Victor goodbye. He laughed when she boarded the train then rattled the ossuary only to grin at the metallic sound coming from it.

'An old wives tale.' Victor grinned back.

Later that day, Victor made good on his word. He froze as he laid a bouquet of flowers on aunt Tina's memorial plaque:

'Tina Watson, beloved wife. 1921-2014.'
© Copyright 2014 Aelyah (aelyah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1999514-An-old-wives-tale