*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1917730-Unlikely-Hero
Rated: E · Other · Action/Adventure · #1917730
Some heroes come from the most unlikely places
"Lights out!, This is the last time I'm going to tell you" the large woman shouted as she made her way through the rows of  beds.

"You don't think I can see the light under the covers, I see everything, there is nothing you can get passed me"  she snapped as she moved to the back of the orphanage, her flashlight scanning the room surveying the sleeping children. A dim light shone under the covers of the last row of beds and quickly disappeared as she inched closer. The unruly woman walked to the source of the disturbance, pulling the covers off the bed .

“I should have known it was you” she sneered , looking down at the young boy faking sleep. “What keeps you up this time, you little brat”  “I know you’re awake, so answer me”

“I ..I was just “ stammered the young boy

“Shut it” she scolded “You know these kids need sleep, they have someone who might actually want to adopt them”

“I just wanted to say bye to Alex before he left Ms. Patterson” James replied , trying to hide something

“What’s that you have there, Let me see” she demanded as she grabbed at the object.

“No, don’t” James whined as she snatched it from his hands.

“Aww isn’t that cute, Alex’s new family “ she cooed as she glared at the picture “See, that’s what a loving family looks like, to bad you’ll never get to see that. Because no one wants a 12 year old disobedient orphan James”  “Now go to sleep and let these other children rest, they have someone who might actually want them, and I won’t tell you again” said the heartless woman as she walked away

The boy grabbed his blanket from the floor and pulled it tight around him as he drifted off to sleep. James had a dream that night, he was flying, soaring, through the sky. High above the  tyrannical rule of Ms. Patterson. The wind rushed by him as he glided on the currents and then suddenly he was falling, plummeting to the earth. James flailed wildly, trying to catch himself. The ground reaching up at him and then BOOM.

James bounced , jolting him from his sleep.  He rolled over and felt the cold damp feel of stone. I must have fell off my bed he reasoned and looked around. No, this was not his room he realized. He scrambled to his feet, there was no bed, there was no orphanage, where am I ? he pondered. The air was cool and dank, dim lights lined a dark tunnel running for as far as he could see. As he adjusted to the surroundings he made out water in the center of the tunnel .  How did I get here? he contemplated. It seemed he was underground, he was in a sewer of some sort.  He heard voices in the distance, voices that were drawing near. James grew frightened. The voices were getting closer and soon he discovered lights moving toward him. He was frozen with fear.

“It’s just up ahead “ a  mans voice echoed off the walls “Can’t be to much further”
“I don’t think she’s going to make it Alavin She’s really hurt” another voice replied
“Well she’s going to have to make it, this could possibly be our only chance to change the war” Alavin demanded “ We only have one … What , what the hell is this?” the man said astonished shining his light on James huddled against the wall.

“How the hell did you get down here boy”  Alavin questioned 
“I…  I don’t know sir, I don’t know where I am” James whimpered
The group circled the boy , shining their lights on him
“Are you ok” a younger man asked
James looked up and was surrounded by a band of mercenaries carrying futuristic guns he had never seen before.
“Please don’t kill me” he begged
“No one’s going to kill you” Alavin assured him “You are obviously not with the Nuraki”
“No Sir,  I don’t even know what a Nuraki is” James pleaded, Alavin studied him with a puzzled look
“He’s gone mad” Balor reasoned “ We’ve been at war with the Nuraki for years”
“Where are you from?” Alavin asked
“Minneapolis” James replied
Alavin studied the boy intently “I’ve never heard of it and I’ve been across the whole realm”
“He’s mad I tell you” said Balor
“Here it is” an attractive woman with an eye patch shouted “The tunnel to their commanders chamber, they will only be gone for so long, the distraction won’t hold” she exclaimed
“Sharrona can’t make it, she’s seriously wounded” an older man concluded , he held a tiny woman obviously hurt.
“She’s the only one small enough to fit in there,  the revolution will surly perish if we don’t get those plans.” said Balor “We’re doomed!”
Alavin looked to James “He’s small enough” 
All eyes fell on the boy
“We’re going to trust our fate to a boy, who is obviously crazy” Balor griped
“It’s our only choice” Alavin rationalized “Boy, down that tunnel, is a war room, the guards and commander have been called away. All you have to do is crawl in and grab all the maps and journals on the main table. You’re the only one small enough, this will be our only opportunity to save our planet, we will give you anything you desire for your help”
“Anything?” James questioned
“Name it” said Alavin
“A home!” James demanded

James crawled into the tiny tunnel and disappeared. Minutes passed as the mercs sat impatiently awaiting his arrivial.
“It’s been to long, he’s been caught” Balor said disappointed
Just then James came scurrying back through the tunnel “ I’ve got it, I’ve got it all!
“It’s a miracle!” Balor exclaimed “ A miracle!, Who are you boy?!”
Alavin wrapped his arm around James “Family,    He’s family” Alavin replied
A warm smile crossed James face







© Copyright 2013 E. Berg (thelongshot6 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1917730-Unlikely-Hero