*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1920508-Two-letters
by Aelyah
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1920508
...and a message.
"It's the only table left."

Matt nodded then eyed his watch and glanced at the door. Diane should arrive any minute now. He tapped his foot impatiently and felt an envelope under his chair. To his surprise, the back read.

"The Office of the Coroner.
Chad Stewart"

He hid the envelope in his pocket and asked the returning waitress.
"Was the customer before me a tall man in his fifties?"

The waitress answered with a grumble.
"No, 'twas an old woman, with spooky gray eyes, didn't leave any tip, you know."

Matt opened the envelope and remembered the crone with smoky eyes and a mangled right hand who told him, twenty years ago, to find Diane and save her. He didn't dare and later regretted, especially after her marriage to Chad.

"Hi Matt."
He startled and hid the envelope in a hurry. She wore her signature turquoise scarf and the regret intensified. He helped her sit and patted her hand.

"I am sorry about Chad, Diane."

Diane grimaced.

"Chad and I drifted apart shortly after our marriage. I wanted to tell you about the letter."

Matt nodded in surprise and waited for her to continue.

"An old woman with creepy gray eyes handed Chad a letter. He  immediately left for the mountains. He and I were on the brink of a momentous discovery when he left. I need your help. "

The coroner's envelope burned in his pocket.

"What happened?"

"He died when he fell down the ravine, and he clutched a small jar, police said. His eyes watched the sky and his mouth was curled in a gratified grin... The jar is two millenia old."

Matt blanched and pulled the envelope from his pocket. He handed it to  her.

"None of his wounds was mortal, Diane."
© Copyright 2013 Aelyah (aelyah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1920508-Two-letters