*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1921153-On-the-Shore-of-the-Lake
by KP
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1921153
Marlena grieves for the loss of her grandfather and learns he is not truly gone.
On the Shore of the Lake

by Karen Pavero

Marlena sat quietly on the shore of the lake watching the sunlight dance on the water and off the trees.  The light’s hypnotic flashing made her eyes water and she had to blink several times to clear them.  Tears from sunlight or tears of sadness? Sighing deeply, Marlena returned her focus to the drawing in front her. 

She started to feel sleepy in the calm breeze of the day and felt lethargy stealing her away.  Abruptly, her head jerked up and she saw a figure on the opposite shore, seemingly floating in the trees.  Squinting, to get a clearer view, she felt herself gasp in astonishment.  It can’t be, she thought.  Afraid to blink for fear the vision would be gone she stared as though starving for food after a long fast. 

She had heard from her grandfather about such things but never did she think she would experience it.  No sooner had she formed the thought than the apparition was standing behind her. Marlena jumped nearly falling into the water.  The apparition chuckled.  Can apparitions chuckle?  While Marlena attempted to form a coherent thought, the apparition held up her hand.

“Relax, dear,” she said clearly.  “You’re not hallucinating.”  Her accent was strange and Marlena found she was unable to place it.

“Who are you?”

“Who do you think I am?”

“I have no idea!”  Having regained some of wits, Marlena found herself getting annoyed.  The apparition solidified and chuckled again.

“So quick to anger,” she said.  “Just like your mother.  Just like me.”  A note of wistfulness crept into her voice.

“Grandmother?” asked Marelena.  “How can this be?  How are you here? You’ve been dead for nearly 15 years.”

“I’m here because you have need of me,” she said simply.

Marlena bowed her head, fighting back tears.  Her carefully built walls broke and she found herself sobbing uncontrollably.  Her grandmother’s hand rested gently on the back of her head, soothing her.  Momentarily, she looked up, still trying to wrap her mind around the fact that she was actually hugging her grandmother.

“Come with me,” she said, gather Marlena to her feet.  “I have something to show you.”

Marlena took a moment to study her grandmother.  She looked exactly like her portrait back at the house in the grand hall, tall and beautiful, blond white hair artfully piled on top of her head.  Full lips framed a beautiful smile, blue eyes sensitive and humorous.  Her blue gown was identical to the one in the portrait, with the identical brooch at her neck.  Marlena realized she must be dreaming.

“Maybe,” her grandmother said, reading her mind.  “Maybe not. Come along.”  Marlena extended her hand to her grandmother’s waiting grasp and they were instantly transported back to the house.  It wasn’t quite the same, though.  Something didn’t quite seem right.  A butler greeted her grandmother as if she had not been gone only 15 minutes, not 15 years.  “Thank you, Robert.  We will take refreshment in the day room,” she said casually.  Marlena followed along meekly and totally dumfounded.

When they reached the parlor, yet another surprise greeted her.  Her grandfather rose and greeted her with open arms.  “Oh, Grandfather! I can’t believe it!” she exclaimed, rushing into his arms.  Tears of joy began to run.  “How are you alive?  We laid you to rest just two days ago!”  Marlena turned to her grandmother sharply, suspicion naked in her eyes.  “What’s going on here? Am I really here?”

“In a sense,” her grandfather replied in an amused tone.  “’Here’ is a relative word. The important thing is you can hear me and see me.  Marlena,” he said seriously, “you must not grieve so badly for me.  I lived a full life and I am glad to be here again with your grandmother.”

Marlena swallowed back her tears and looked at her grandfather.  She noticed he also resembled the portrait hanging next to her grandmother in the grand hall.  Young and vital, full the good humor and cheerfulness he had while he was alive.  “Am I really here with you and Grandmother?”

“Yes, you are,” her grandmother responded.  “And you may come here whenever you like. You cannot stay but you can certainly visit.”  Her grandmother held out her arms invitingly and Marlena rushed into their embrace.  Her grandfather joined them and the three stood in happy silence for very long minutes.

Marlena opened her eyes and noticed the day’s light had just about died.  She looked at her pad and saw what had been put there: her grandmother and grandfather looking out from a page in time.  Marlena gathered up her supplies and for the first time in several days, felt a little bit less sad.







© Copyright 2013 KP (kp4444 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1921153-On-the-Shore-of-the-Lake