*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1922060-Lesson-5-Assignment
Rated: · Assignment · Other · #1922060
Dialogue tags
The rattling sound stopped Edie in her tracks.  Someone on the other side of the door jiggled the doorknob.  Her heart beating jackhammer fast thundered against her chest when the door creaked open before she could hide.

Edie’s hands covered her heart.  “Ohmygod…what are you doing here?”  She panted as if she’d just run five miles.  “You scared me to death.”

“I followed you.”  His eyes darted around taking in the room. 

Edie wiped the sweat from her brow with the back of her hand.  “You can’t be here.  How did you get in?”  Her breathing was still ragged so she griped the back of the dining chair for support.

“You left the door unlocked.  Whose place is this, anyway?”  He ran one hand through his dark hair, while the other one rested on his hip.  His eyes held more questions.

Edie shivered.  “You have to leave…NOW!

“Come on, Edie.  What the heck is going on?  Are you in trouble or something?  Let me help.” 

She stared in silence.  How could she explain this so he wouldn’t judge her?  She liked Ben.  So far he’d been the nicest boy she ever dated, not that she dated many boys before him.  So she lied.

“I’m pet sitting.”

“Why didn’t you just say so,” he laughed.  “But, I don’t see any pet.”

“It’s a bird…upstairs…afraid of strangers.”  Sweat trickled down her spine.  “You really have to go.  How ‘bout I meet you at the Burger Joint in like twenty minutes?”

“How come I can’t just stay with you?” 

Why? Why? Why?  “Because you are trespassing and if they find out you just let yourself in, they may not believe that you know me and then you could get in trouble.  Maybe go to jail.”  She gave him a tight smile to cover her terror at getting caught.

© Copyright 2013 Endless Enigma (charmed1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1922060-Lesson-5-Assignment