*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1927080-The-Big-Hero
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Dean
Rated: XGC · Short Story · Dark · #1927080
Based on true stories.

    "Life isn't s'posed ta be this way! First the damn Mesicans come and take our jobs, then the Chinese start to put everyone outta business, now the fuckin' internet is putting' us outta work! How the hell can I compete with a damn cartoon lizard? They're killin' me!" The rant was familiar to everyone in the bar by now. Every night after work, Ricky Hayes would come into Dillan's Bar from having a bad day of sales.

    He was the Georgetown High School football all-star receiver. He got into State on a football scholarship, and was on his way to the pros. Everything was going great, he married his high school sweetheart, Janie Norbury in his second year of college, and was going to make a ton of money in the big leagues, when a freak accident during practice shattered his patella, and his dream. Now, with a three year old daughter, a huge mortgage, and a floundering insurance job, the only thing he looked forward to was the weekend football games on TV.

    " I coulda had any girl I wanted! They were all hangin' all over me, and I picked her. Now the stupid bitch don't even wanna do nothin' with me! I think she's screwin' around on me!" Ricky finished his fifth beer, slammed the bottle on the bar and yelled, "Tammy, gimmie another Bud!"

    Tammy and her brother inherited the bar two years ago. She had gone to the same high school as Ricky and graduated one year later. She was one of his many fans, and would have jumped at the chance to go out with him, but she couldn't compete with Janie. Janie had it all, a beautiful body, pretty face, brains and a wonderful personality. Everybody loved Janie, and Janie loved Ricky.

    "Don't you think you've had enough Ricky? Shouldn't you get home to your family?" Ricky flew into a rage, "Don't tell me what the fuck to do! I don't have to take your shit either! I get enough at home!" He pulled his arm back to throw his empty bottle at Tammy, when Tammy's brother Allen, the bouncer, grabbed his wrist and said, "Don't make me break your goddam arm Ricky. Give me the bottle and get out, or I'll throw your ass outta here!"

    "Get yer hands offa me ya faggot! You're just jealous that I was something' special, and you were only on the JV wrestling team! Let go!" Ricky dropped the bottle and yanked his arm free from Allen's hand. He staggered towards the door, turned around and yelled, "Fuck all of you! You're all nothin' but shit, and you know I'm better than you!" Then he turned and walked out the door.

    Ricky managed to drive the four miles to his house without getting pulled over, and only hitting three trash cans this time. One more arrest for DUI would be his third strike, and by state law he'd go to prison for a minimum of six months. He was still paying off the fines for the first two, and knew the judge would lock him up in a heartbeat if he saw him again. His last appearance got him a contempt fine on top of the DUI fine. Janie was furious with him for costing them so much in fines. They were just barely getting by before their daughter Nancy got sick and Janie had to quit her job at the donut shop to stay at home and take care of her. Now she spent most of her time fending off bill collectors and trying to get assistance from any charity that Ricky didn't alienate. The last time she brought home a couple bags of food and some clothes for Nancy, Ricky threw them all out, "We don't need their fucking charity! I'm the man around here, and I provide for this family, not you! Stop making me look bad in front of everyone, or I'll bust your face and make you look bad!"

    As Ricky gets out of the car, he drops his keys in the driveway. When he stands up, he sees his next door neighbor, Charlie, walking away from his house with his toolbox. Ricky goes up the steps, tripping on the top step, and drops his keys again. As he's fumbling for the lock, Janie opens the door. "Hi sweetie, how was work?" Ricky just scowls at her and says, "What the fuck was Charlie dooin over here? You know that sonofabitch is just droolin' over your ass!"

    "Charlie was just fixing the plumbing in the kitchen. I told you that pipe was leaking again, and tonight it broke. I had water all over the kitchen!" "Yeah, sure. How'd you pay him, by sucking his dick?" "You're a fuckin' whore and you know it. You'll fuck anyone but me won'tcha?"

    "I've always been faithful to you Ricky! Maybe if you were able to get it up, we could do something!" At that, Ricky turned around and backhanded Janie so hard that he split her lip. "Don't ever talk to me like that again you fuckin' cunt! I'll fuckin' kill you!" Nancy woke up from all the yelling, and started to cry, but Ricky grabbed Janie and slammed her against the wall, "You never do shit around here bitch! All you do is shake your tits for the neighbors while I'm out bustin' my balls to support your lazy ass! Well, things are goin' to start changing' around here bitch!" By now, Nancy's cry had become a scream. She had been sick with a fever and ear infection for a week, but there was no money to take her to the doctor, and the free clinic was overbooked until next week.

    Ricky slapped Janie two more times and yelled, "Do something about that fuckin' brat! What kind of mother are you anyway? Make her shut up! I've had a fuckin' hard day, and I don't need her shit on top on it all!"

    Janie ran upstairs to Nancy's room to quiet her, wiping the blood from her face as she ran. She was worried. The last time that Ricky got angry with Nancy for crying, he shook her so hard that he almost snapped her neck! Janie wasn't going to let that happen again. She had a special song that she would sing to Nancy to quiet her down. She began to softly sing her song. Janie actually had a beautiful voice, and had won many talent contests with her singing when she was younger, but Ricky refused to let her sing. He flat out refused to have anyone show him up!

    Within a few minutes Nancy was calm again. Janie knew that she had to get some antibiotics for Nancy's ear infection, but there was no money left. There never was. She needed to find some way to get Nancy to a doctor, but they didn't have insurance. It was ironic that Ricky wouldn't get medical insurance even though he worked for the insurance company and could get it at no cost. He said it was because he hated the company and wasn't going to accept a hand out from them either!

    "Where's my goddam dinner?" Janie put little Nancy back in her bed, tucked her in, and quietly left the room. When she got downstairs, she said, "Your dinner is in the microwave honey." "Why the hell can't you have my dinner hot and ready for me when I get home? Is that too damn much to ask?" "It was hot when I finished it at  six. I can't keep it hot for you when you get home at ten thirty!"

    "Oh, just forget it. You can't cook worth a shit anyway!" Ricky walked to the cabinet, took out a large glass, and went into the living room where he kept his bottle of Four Roses. He filled the glass and proceeded to drink himself into oblivion. Janie put his dinner in the refrigerator, went upstairs, and cried herself to sleep.

    The next morning, after Ricky had gone to work, Janie bundled Nancy up and went to try and find some medical help. After bring turned down by social services, she tried the Georgetown Hospital Emergency Room where she was told that Nancy's condition was not an emergency, and she would have to see her pediatrician.

    Nancy was getting hungry, and Janie didn't have any money for food. She was at her wits end. Janie knew that she only had one place left to turn, her father. Jack Norbury was moderately well off, but hated Ricky because he knew how abusive he was. "That son-of-a-bitch is going to go too far one day, and end up killing you or the baby!" "Dump that loser and come back home. I'll take care of you." "But dad, you just don't know him. He's really a good man who's under a lot of pressure right now."

    Deep down, Janie knew her father was right. Ricky was getting worse. He always had a temper, even in high school, and would occasionally get into fights for no reason, but she always thought he would grow out of it. Jocks were expected to be bullies sometimes. Kid stuff. Boys will be boys, and all that. Now he was taking it out on her and their daughter. "I can change him though. I know I can."

    Janie drove down the long driveway to her father's house. She had almost forgotten how beautiful it was out here in the country when he leaves were changing to their autumn colors. Even though Janie grew up here, and loved this place, she hadn't been out here much since her mother died. Ricky refused to go there, and would get angry every time she brought the idea up. "Your father hates me and is always trying to split us up! He'd be the first asshole to dance at my funeral! I don't want you listening to his shit. He's only trying to brainwash you and turn you against me!" But now Janie had no choice. Nancy needed her.

    She got out of the car, and picked Nancy up out of her car seat. She hesitated, "I hope I'm doing the right thing... I have to do this, for Nancy's sake!" She went to the door and rang the bell. After what seemed to her like an eternity, her father answered the door. "Hi dad. I hope you don't mind that we stopped by." Jack's joyful expression quickly turned to anger when he saw his daughter's swollen eye and split lip. "What has that bastard done to you?" "Daddy, please don't. It was my fault. He was in a bad mood, and I antagonized him. I should have known better." He started to say something else when Janie cut him off, "Dad, I really need your help. Nancy really needs your help." "Come in honey. It's cold out here." Jack let them in, and closed the door behind them.

    "Can I get you some coffee, or tea? How about some juice for Nancy?" "Yeah, coffee and juice would be great." "Would you like something to eat?" "I'm not really hungry dad," Janie lied, "but Nancy might be ready for lunch." So, after preparing some cheese and fruit for his granddaughter, and filling her sippy cup with grape juice, Jack brought two cups of coffee to the table, and sat across from Janie. "Now, tell me what you need, honey." Janie broke down in tears as she told her father about their financial problems and Nancy's medical condition. "So, if you could just loan me some money to pay for the doctor, and maybe a little for some food. I promise I'll pay you back when Ricky's job picks back up. He's just going through a slump right now..."

    Jack Norbury held up his hand and cut her off, "No honey, I can't." Janie's mouth fell open, "But dad..." Jack cut her off again, "I can't let you keep living this way. You need to get some help before he kills you." "Dad, not that again!" "Janie, he's not getting better, he's getting worse! You need to get some professional help." "Ricky won't go along with that. He gets upset if I bring it up." "So, you admit that you need help?" Janie lowered her eyes and nodded her head. "Yeah, I know." "So, you'll get some help?" "I can't! I'm scared! What if he leaves me? What will I do? How will I take care of Nancy?" "Let the bum go! You and Nancy always have a place here. There's more than enough room, and I can help you with my granddaughter while you get your life straightened out." "I'll think about it dad." "No! Don't think about it. Do something about it!" "Okay dad. I will." "Promise?" "I promise."

    Janie's father wrote her a check for two thousand dollars. "No, dad that's too much..." "Take care of yourself and my granddaughter." "But dad, I don't know when I'll be able to pay back this much." "I don't care about that. Consider it a gift. Just don't let your husband know where you got it. Maybe you shouldn't let him even know you have it at all. that S.O.B would just drink it all up anyway. Open up your own bank account at First Federal. That's my bank, and they won't give you any problems cashing my check." "Thanks dad." "You can thank me by doing the right thing for your sake and Nancy's." "I will dad."

    Janie went to the bank, deposited her father's check, keeping enough out for the doctor and some groceries, and took Nancy in for treatment. The doctor gave her a shot and prescribed some anti-biotics. "Bring her back in if her condition worsens." "I will doc. Thanks for seeing us on such short notice." Janie left the pediatrician's office and picked up some groceries and the prescription on her way home. She was dreading the unavoidable conversation that she was going to have with Ricky that night. She hoped he'd be in a better mood when he got home.

    Janie pulled up in the driveway. "Good. I still have plenty of time to make dinner before Ricky gets home." She planned a special dinner for him, hoping to keep him in a good mood for the inevitable talk that night. "Wait here sweetie. Mommy will be right back. Mommy has to take the groceries in, and she'll be right back for her baby." Janie went in through the side door into the kitchen, and set the two bags on the table. "Where've you been, you fuckin' slut?" Janie turned toward the living room where Ricky was sitting in the dim light with an empty fifth of Four Roses in his lap. "Ricky, what are you doing home so early? I'm going to make your favorite for dinner tonight..." "Where the fuck did you get money for groceries? You finally startin' to charge for sex like a good whore? Huh? Who'd ya fuck to buy all this? You musta been gang banging' cause no one in their right mind would pay to fuck a worn out piece of shit like you!" Just then, Ricky jumped up and threw the empty bottle at Janie. Janie ducked, but she was too late, and the bottle hit her forehead above the right eye, shattering and making a deep gash just above her eyebrow. Ricky had already started toward the kitchen, his hands balled into fists, the veins bulging in his neck and forehead. "What happened Ricky? Where's your car?" "I'll tell ya what happened, that motherfucker Dave fired me! Me! Can you believe it? I call one customer a fuckin' shithead and that goddam asshole fired me! Well, fuck him! Then I stop at the bar on the way home and that fuckin' faggot Allen gets on my case. he don't like the way I treat his sister! Fuck him too! That Tammy knows a good cock when she finds one! Faggot says I shouldn't be fuckin' his sister cause I'm married! Who tha fuck made him my judge?"

    By then, Ricky was on the other side of the kitchen, still slowly walking toward Janie, "Then the mutherfuckin faggot throws me outta the bar! After all the money I spent there, he throws me out! He shoulda been paying' me for keeping' his sister happy! She's a damn hose monster! Bitch can't get enough of my dick! When I was outside, I told him he could just go fuck himself, cause he was a double-jointed cock sucking' faggot, and he threw a fuckin' brick at me and busted my goddam windshield! Somebody called the fuckin' cops, so I just ran home. Fuckin' assholes!" Janie was still wiping the blood out of her eye, backing away from his advance. "Now, tell me where the fuck you got the money to buy this shit, slut! Where do you get off buying' this fuckin' shit when I ain't got enough fuckin' money to buy another bottle of booze?"

    He closed the gap between himself and Janie, and before she saw it coming, his fist caught her in the jaw. The next punch caught her in the stomach, and when she doubled over, he kicked her in the head. Janie fell face forward on the floor, blood flowing from her mouth and the gash on her head. Ricky straddled her, grabbing a handful of her blond hair, and started beating her face on the kitchen tiles. After a few minutes, he let go and walked over to the bags of groceries on the table. Ricky dumped the bags out, and saw the prescription bottle. "You dooin drugs now whore? Where the fuck are you getting' money for drugs?" Janie was lifting herself up, still unable to see much due to all the blood running in her eyes, "That's medicine for Nancy. She's been sick, and I got some money from dad to take her to the doctor." "I told you never to go out to that fuckin' asshole's place, bitch! You can't listen worth a shit, can ya? Or are ya too fuckin' stupid to understand english? Maybe you need someone to teach you to listen!" Ricky started toward her again, and when he was just about to pull her up by her hair, she punched him for all she was worth right in the groin. Ricky hit the floor in a ball, and Janie scrambled toward the door, slipping on the blood-soaked floor. Janie was up and through the door, half running the best  she could to her car.

    Nancy was still fastened securely in her car seat, as Janie fumbled with her keys in the ignition. She got the car started just as the door was opening. Janie backed the car out of the driveway and took off down the street as fast as she could, blood still running into her eye. She was feeling light-headed from the blood loss, and the beating she just took. "I can't go to the hospital. What would I do with Nancy?" There was only one person she could think to turn to right now. She headed back to her father's house.

    "My God, Janie! What happened? What did that bastard do to you? I'm going to kill him!" "No daddy! I need you to take care of Nancy. I have to go to the ER." "You're not driving anywhere. I'll take you. Karen can watch Nancy while we're gone." Karen had been Jack's live-in cook and housekeeper for years, ever since Janie was little. She was like a grandmother to Janie, even though she was only ten years older than Janie's father, and she absolutely adored Nancy. Janie agreed, and her father drove her to the emergency room.

    The doctor came into the room, carrying Janie's x-rays with him. "You're a very lucky young lady. You shouldn't have been able to drive after what you have been through. You have a fracture above your eye here, and a hairline fracture in your jaw. I don't know how you kept from passing out from the blood loss, and shock, but you're a real trooper." Janie didn't feel much like a trooper right then. She could only see from one eye, and could barely speak. "We're going to give you some painkillers, and you're going to have to keep from moving your jaw as much as possible. I'm going to want to see you in a week or so, just to check up on your condition." Janie just nodded. She didn't feel like talking anyway. "Come on honey, I'm taking you home. We have to let Nancy know her mommy's okay."

    The next morning, the swelling and pain were even worse. Janie could barely sip her coffee, and didn't even want to think about eating, but Karen would have none of that. "I'll make you both something soft. You set a good example for Nancy and eat your breakfast." So Janie and Nancy ate their scrambled eggs together, and after breakfast, Janie took Nancy for a walk around her father's property. They were both pretty quiet as they walked, with Nancy throwing out a few, "What's that?" questions when she would see something that sparked her interest. Janie was content to walk in silence, remembering the good times she spent here as a child. She was trying hard to keep from thinking about Ricky, or what was going to happen in the future. She knew she couldn't avoid the inevitable forever, but for now, it was mommy and daughter time.

    Two weeks passed like that. No pressures, no worries, and Janie was recovering her strength. The doctor had been pleased with her recovery, but wanted her to take things easy for a few more weeks until the bones healed fully.
Janie was in no hurry to do anything else anyway. This time with Nancy had been the best time that she had in a long time. She had even stopped dreading the day that she would have to face Ricky again, although she knew it was unavoidable.

    The day finally came. One afternoon, a little more than three weeks following the incident with Ricky, a car came barreling down Jack's drive, and came screeching to a halt. Ricky went to the door and started pounding, yelling for Janie. Jack got up and said, "Just let me handle this Janie." He walked calmly to the door and opened it. "What do you want Ricky?" "Let me see my wife!" "She doesn't have anything to say to you right now." "Get the hell out of my way! I want to see my wife and kid!" He started to force his way through the door, when Jack shoved his .44 caliber Desert Eagle in Ricky's throat. "Go ahead you piece of shit! Just give me a reason to vaporize your fucking head!" "Dad! Don't kill him! Not here, not now. What do you want Ricky?" "I want my family back. I want a second chance." "We're past that Ricky. My father's lawyer is drawing up the divorce papers. It's over." "No! Nothing's over until I say it's over! Why are you divorcing me? You got someone on the side, don't you ya fuckin slut?" "Just leave Ricky. I don't have anything else to say to you." "I'm not leaving without you and Nancy! I want my daughter, and you can't keep me from her!" "Get off my property now, Ricky!" "Fuck you old man! Don't tell me what to do!" Jack raised the barrel of the Desert Eagle and fired a round into the front of Ricky's car, destroying the engine. "You crazy motherfucker! I need that car!" "I think you'd better start running boy, because the next one is going to go through your head, and I have enough property out here that they'll never be able to find your body. Now, RUN!" Ricky knew that Jack meant it, and he ran as fast as he could with his damaged knee. "A little dramatic, wasn't it dad?" "I got my point across. I'll call Andy's Wrecking in the morning to get that piece of junk out of the driveway."

    The next few weeks were uneventful. There was no further contact from Ricky, or demands to see his daughter. Janie assumed that he had crawled back into his bottle, and really didn't care as long as he left them alone. The court date for the divorce was in two more weeks. Janie knew that Ricky couldn't afford a lawyer, so she didn't believe he would have a chance of getting custody of Nancy, especially when the doctor's report and photos were presented.

    Being a single mother was something that Janie had never considered before though. Now, she would have to face that reality and more. She couldn't expect her father to take care of them both indefinitely. Maybe she would go back to school and finish her degree, but would that be enough? Would the judge make Ricky pay alimony and child support? How could he afford it? Well, no use in worrying about it right now. It will be over in a couple weeks. Then they could move on with their lives.

    The day finally came for the divorce hearing. Nancy sat nervously next to her lawyer. It was nearly time and there had been no sign of Ricky so far. Just as the bailiff was calling the court to order, the doors opened, and Ricky came in alone breathing hard as though he had ran the whole way to the courthouse. As he made his way to the table, he turned to Janie and said, "Your father owes me a car!" "Go tell him yourself." Before either of them could say anything else, the bailiff cleared his throat loudly, "Ahem...Please rise; the Honorable Judge Ronald Baker presiding."

    "Be seated. What is the first case today?" In a small town like Georgetown, it was actually the only case today, but formalities are formalities. The bailiff brought the papers to the judge, "Your honor, the case of Hayes vs. Hayes; Petition for Divorce and Full Child Custody."

      "Will the petitioners and their attorneys please approach the bench?" Janie and her lawyer got up and walked up to the judge's bench, but Ricky was still sitting at his table. "Mr. Hayes?" the judge said. "I ain't got no goddam lawyer!" Ricky yelled back. "I don't have any money for one, and you assholes won't give me one for free!" "Mr. Hayes, the court does not appoint attorneys in civil matters. That is reserved for criminal procedures. Now, I will ask you to behave yourself in a respectable manner in my courtroom, or I will place you in contempt. Then you will be entitled to a public defender. I will ask you again, please approach the bench."

    Ricky reluctantly got up and walked up to the bench. "Now, the reason that I asked you up here is that I don't like divorces, especially when there are children involved. Have you young people sought counseling to try to work out your problems?" Before Janie could even get a word out, Ricky said, "Fuck that! Those jackoffs don't know shit! They always blame the guy, even when the slut he's married to fucks half the town!" "Mr. Hayes! Another outburst like that, and you will be in contempt! This is your final warning! You will show respect in my courtroom!"
    "Sorry, your honor." Ricky said, then blurted out, "But it's true!" "I worked hard all day to provide for her and that brat, and to keep a roof over their heads. Then she goes and quits her job so that she can have all day to screw around on me while I'm at work!" "Ricky! I never..." "You lying bitch!"

    Judge Baker slammed the gavel, "Quiet!" "I am not going to tolerate this kind of behavior!" "Your honor," Janie's lawyer interrupted, "As you can see, their differences are irreconcilable, and recently have become violent enough to require my client to receive emergency medical treatment." The lawyer handed the envelope with the medical records and x-rays to the judge. "Here is the report from the hospital, and the police report, your honor."

    The judge put on his reading glasses and examined the doctor's report. Then he read the police report, and turned to Janie, "Is this when you went to live with your father?" "Yes, your honor. I was scared and had no where else to go!" "She's lying your honor! She hit me in the balls, and I was just protecting myself! She was going to kill me to collect the insurance! I caught her doing drugs, and when I confronted her, she attacked me! Then, when I tried to talk to her, her father shot at me and tried to kill me!"

    The judge turned to Ricky and said, "Now, young man, I find that hard to believe. I know Jack Norbury, and if he shot at you, I wouldn't be talking to you right now." The bailiff chucked, and Ricky lowered his head and mumbled. "Do you have something to say, Mr. Hayes? I couldn't quite make that out." "You don't know what it's like, your honor; nobody does! People laughing, and talking behind your back. 'There goes the big football star... The big hero... More like the big loser!" "I coulda been someone! I was gonna be rich and famous! Everyone loved me, and now they all laugh at me!" "I can't even get a goddam decent job 'cause everyone's jealous of who I was! My wife won't even love and support me!" "They're all fuckin' jealous!" "I'm just glad my folks died before they could see how far I fell! They'd probably call me a loser too!" Ricky lowered his head and sniffled.

    Judge Baker said, "Son, I remember watching your ball games. I was proud of you, hell we were all proud of you. I don't think anyone is laughing at you behind your back. Things happen to everyone, and we all have to go on with life. That was almost ten years ago. You've got to put it behind you. If I remember correctly, the school was going to extend your scholarship, and let you finish without cost, and you rejected their offer."

    "Yeah, fuck them! I don't need their fuckin' charity! I don't take charity from nobody! I'm a man, not a fuckin' nigger or wetback!" Ricky turned his back on the judge, and started walking back to his table. "Mr. Hayes, we're not finished here!" Ricky kept his back to the judge, and poured himself a glass of water from the pitcher at the table. "Mr. Hayes, I suggest that you get some counseling for your problems. You are letting the past destroy your life..." Ricky turned and yelled, "Fuck you asshole!" as he threw the glass pitcher at Judge Baker, then tried to run for the door.

    The bailiff caught up with him before he was halfway down the aisle, and tackled him to the floor. "Mr. Hayes, You are in contempt, and I'm sentencing you to ninety days in the county jail where you will undergo mandatory psychological counseling. I am also granting the divorce, and giving full custody to Mrs. Hayes. I am also ordering you to pay alimony and child support. The amount will be determined upon your release. You will not be allowed to have any contact with them at any time, until such a time as you can prove to this court that you are psychologically stable. Bailiff, take him away."

    Janie just stood there in shock. Did all that really just happen? Her lawyer was just as stunned!

    After he composed himself, Judge Baker turned to Janie, "Mrs. Hayes, I'm sorry that this had to happen. He needs help, but no one can help him if he refuses to be helped. I would suggest that you sell that big house, and use any profits from it to start a new life for your daughter and yourself. Even though the court orders alimony and child support, I have a feeling that you will have a hard time getting it from him." Janie nodded. "This court is in recess!"

    Janie was having a hard time taking it all in. It was over! The abuse...the fear...everything. Over!

    The next few weeks were a blur for Janie. Packing, sorting, cleaning, moving, everything involved with getting the house ready to list with the realtor. Judge Baker ordered a storage facility to be set up for Ricky's things, and Janie's father helped her with the moving. Charlie from next door was supposed to come over later to take care of a few plumbing and electrical things. Then Janie was going to touch up a few spots that needed some paint. It was all happening so fast!

    Janie realized that she hadn't stopped to eat anything all day, and she was starved, so she went and picked up some Chinese take-out. When she got back, she looked around the first floor at everything that had already been done. This weekend she'd finish upstairs, and it would be ready to go. All the furniture was gone except for the ratty old recliner in the living room, and a small black and white TV that was about ready to go out. Those things were going to the dump tomorrow, but tonight, Janie was going to kick back with her Kung Pao Chicken, and a styrofoam cup of the wine that she found earlier that day in a kitchen cabinet. "I wonder how Ricky managed to miss this?" she said, and laughed to herself.

    Janie poured a little wine in the cup, went to the living room, turned on the TV and sat down. Janie took a sip of the wine as the TV crackled to life "...and tonight's breaking news...Three men escaped from the Harrison County Jail earlier today, killing two guards, and stealing a truck in the escape. Police are on the lookout for a white panel van, last seen headed for Georgetown. Suspects should be considered armed and extremely dangerous..." Janie dropped her cup of wine, then froze in terror! Ricky was out, and coming to get her! No names were mentioned, but she knew it had to be him! She knew it!

    Terror turned to blind panic when she heard the footstep! He was coming down the stairs! Janie couldn't move! Frozen in the chair, she heard the footsteps getting closer. Closer. Closer! Janie tried to scream, but she couldn't make a sound! He was only a few feet away now, and she could smell his cologne. God, how she hated that smell! She knew was dead now!

    "Miss Janie, I got the bathroom sink fixed upstairs for you." Oh God, it's Charlie! "I'm sorry, but I knocked down a bottle of some cologne, and it broke. I tried to get all the glass cleaned up, but you'll have to clean up the rest, or that smell's going to be around for a while." he said. Janie jumped up and turned around, and saw Charlie standing there still holding the screwdriver. "Oh Charlie, I'm so glad it's you!" Janie said, letting out a sigh of relief! "Of course it's me Miss Janie. Who else would it be? I told you I'd be coming by later to tighten up that faucet."

    Janie grabbed her work gloves, and as she was putting them on, she said, "Thanks, Charlie. I'll get some cleaner and take care of that spill. I always hated that smell!" As she started toward the kitchen, Charlie reached out and grabbed her by the arm. "That can wait, Miss Janie. I need to talk to you." Janie was a bit surprised. In all the years that they had lived next to each other, Charlie had never really said more than five words at a time to her. "Uh, sure Charlie. What's on your mind?" "Well, Miss Janie, you know it's been over a year since that drunk driver killed my Loretta..." "Yeah Charlie. I remember. She was a good woman, and I know you both loved each other." Charlie let go of her arm, and Janie stepped back so she could see his face better. There was a pained look in his eyes. "Yeah, well, as I was saying...It's been over a year, and I've always been a good neighbor to you. You could always count on me to help you out, to take care of whatever you needed, right?" Janie nodded. "Yes, you've always been a good friend Charlie..." "Now, like I was saying, Janie, I've been awfully lonely lately...awfully lonely. A man has needs you know? And I was thinking that maybe you could help me out with my needs. A little repayment for all my help."

    Janie couldn't believe what she was hearing! She took a step back, as Charlie stepped forward. "No Charlie...It wouldn't be right." "Sure it would. Look, I've got nobody...You've got nobody...We'd just be doing each other a favor." Janie took another step back, and slipped on the wine she had spilled earlier. She fell backwards, hitting her head on the hardwood floor. She looked up at Charlie, who was now standing over her, but she was too dazed to say anything. Is this really happening? First, the nightmare with Ricky, now this? Charlie looked down at her, still holding the screwdriver in his hand, and said, "I didn't want it to be like this. I was hoping you'd see things my way. I didn't want to force you, but I've been so lonely..."

    Then a voice yelled out, "Hey! Leave her alone!" As Charlie turned to face the intruder, he was hit in the head with a large pipe wrench! The intruder hit him three more times before he hit the floor, and the screwdriver rolled from his lifeless hand, over to where Janie was just starting to get up. She grabbed it in her confusion, to protect herself. "Ricky? What...?"

    Ricky dropped the pipe wrench next to Janie's would-be rapist, and said, "Yeah, it's me. Good thing for you that I came along when I did!" Janie shook her head, still stunned by everything that just happened. She tried to speak, but the only words that came out were, "What? How? Why?"

    Ricky smiled. "What am I doing here? How did I know what was going on? Why did I stop him?" He chuckled. "First, I came to say goodbye. I'm leaving. It's time to start a new life. When I came by, I saw ol' Charlie lurking out back, lookin' in the window at you. When you left, he picked the lock on the back door, and let himself in. I had a feelin' that somethin' wasn't right, so I snuck in after him. Good thing that I did, huh?"

    Janie stammered, "But...but...but, you killed the guards and escaped from jail! They're going to catch you and kill you!"

    "Escaped?" Ricky said. "I didn't escape! They let me out last week! Time off for good behavior. Can you believe that? Me? Good behavior? Anyway, I went through therapy, and the shrink helped me to see that I needed to get away from this hick town and start over. I've been goin' to A.A., and he says that I've got a good chance to go straight, so I'm leavin' tonight. You remember Tammy from Dillan's Bar, well she sold out her half of the bar to her brother, Allen, and now Tammy and me are goin' to start our new life out west. She's gonna help me finish school, and I'm gonna teach High School football. It's the only thing I really know. The only thing I've ever been really good at, ya know? Then I can start payin' that alimony and child support."

    Janie couldn't believe what she was hearing. "So, you and Tammy are leaving tonight?"

    "Yeah, we're plannin' on headin' out in about three hours. She has a few things to go over with Allen, then we're outta here! I just wanted to let ya know, and say my good-byes. So, maybe a hug, for old time's sake?" Ricky held his arms open, and Janie walked toward him like she was in a trance. When she was less than two feet away from him, he smiled, and as he was about to hug her, she plunged the screwdriver into his chest!

    Ricky stared at her in shock. "Remember what I said on prom night Ricky? 'You're mine forever!' So, if I can't have you, no one will!" As Ricky fell to the floor, Janie took off her work gloves and said, "Don't worry, I'll tell Nancy that you died saving me. You'll be a hero!" And as the blackness was overtaking him, the last thing that Ricky heard was Janie saying, "You always wanted to be the big hero, didn't you? Now you finally are!"





© Copyright 2013 Dean (dsmastern at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1927080-The-Big-Hero