*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1927738-The-Bird-With-Lead-Wings
by 13liss
Rated: E · Poetry · Emotional · #1927738
Suppose to be read through twice in the hope it will depict a different story both reads.
'There’s nothing more sad than a bird with lead wings’ - Akala

An eternity spent sat in a prison, an open window inches from reach. Day after day spent gazing outwards, a beacon of a hopeless freedom. Some days he clawed at bars, some he paced his cage but most he just perched and whistled in contempt. On all these days his captors would walk past and on all these days he would be ignored. Sometimes they would come and play with him, not as a friend but as a toy, chains binding him to their will. Once they were satisfied it’s back to his cage, to perch day after day.

But then the time came, when after he was used, the cage swung upon. A freedom so distant in an instant was his. Without a thought, he was out the door. The window came next, without a hitch and suddenly-
Sky. Earth. Clouds. Sun. A multitude of feelings embraced him wing to wing. He was soaring higher and higher. Could he touch the sky?

But then came a new feeling, his wings began to ache, yet still he rose now higher than clouds. A lifetime of emotions exploding all at once. Keep going and going and he would join the sun. But the pain was building, his assent was slowing, yet still this new experience was a relief.

And now he was falling faster and faster, turning to the ground without knowing what came yonder. Pitching and rolling the manic smile ever on his lips. Now the earth was his destination, the next experience he had yet to have. He spread his arms wide and greeted his fate.

He smashed into pavement and all feeling was gone.

Just another suicide from a man who could of joined the sun.
© Copyright 2013 13liss (13liss at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1927738-The-Bird-With-Lead-Wings