*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1927954-The-Medical-Examiner
Rated: · Other · Other · #1927954
Will the medical examiner finish in time?
Word count = 300

Includes the words: bell, egg, fly





She stepped into the chilly air and froze.

In the middle of the room, the medical examiner extracted a wiggling larva from the cadaver's ear with a pair of stainless steel tweezers. "Phormia regina."

"Blow fly."

The M. E. raised an eyebrow. "Good. It takes six to eleven days for the eggs to turn to pupa." She screwed the lid on the jar and placed it near the sink.

"Yeah, I know, and up to fourteen for them to become adults. You ready?"

"Don't rush me. This young man deserves to be treated with respect. He cannot be more than twenty-two. He had his whole life ahead of him until some monster stole it from him."

"You're late." Like always. She stayed in the doorway, her stomach threatening to retch.

The M. E. turned her back to her. Typical, but no need to argue. "So, how'd he die?"

"That is exactly what I am trying to determine." She used a magnifying glass to study his fingernails. "Would you like to see?"

"No thanks." She had almost vomited the last time. "Everyone's waiting."

Silence filled the air. She huffed and tapped her foot. Nevertheless, the M. E. continued examining the body with an infuriating deliberation.

"Are you tapping your foot, again?" the M. E. asked.

She stopped and grimaced. If she did not bite her tongue, she would say something she would regret, and tonight was supposed to be perfect.

The M. E. started examining the spaces between the toes.

"What're you looking for?"

"I am verifying the interdigital spaces."

"What for?"

"Needle marks."

The alarm on her cell rang, like soft bell chimes. "It's 7:00."

The M. E. sighed and stood straight. "You're right. He is not going to run away." She smiled. "And, it is your birthday."

"Thanks, Mom."

© Copyright 2013 Tadpole1 (tadpole1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1927954-The-Medical-Examiner