*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1928109-Life-in-Cambodia---Post-2
Rated: · Other · Other · #1928109
Going to work today....
I usually take a cab to work, but today, I decided to take a "tuk tuk" to work. Tuk tuks are like trishaws, but it is driven by a motorcyclist. I was passing by a few street stalls and I saw the food that the local Khmers eat, and I personally feel that food like those are not nutritional at all. But with the amount of money that these locals make every month, how can they afford to dine in restaurants? Well, my "tuk tuk" stopped at a traffic light and a very old lady approached me, begging for money, I reached down to my suit pocket and gave her 2 dollars, when she took my money, she immediately clasped both her hands and made a praying gesture. I immediately stopped her and trying my best to speak the limited Khmer that I can to tell her not to do that. I feel ackward, as I am not her God. Just imagine, a mere 2 dollars can make her feel so happy. I asked myself, what did she do to deserve this torture and pain?

I am truly shocked to see poverty everywhere. I pity these individuals who are suffering, fighting for food and survival. Children running on the streets, with tattered clothes and bare feet, holding on to a small cloth, wiping off dusts on parked cars that are waiting for the traffic lights, and begging for pennies. Children at these young age, to me is not suppose to be doing this, they are suppose to be in school, learning and playing. I bought food for my staffs at work today, as I know sometimes they do not have enough to eat at the staff canteen. I cannot stand by and see them go hungry while on duty.

I thank both my parents for not allowing their children to go hungry, they gave me a life that I cannot complain, thus, I will not see people that are under my care go hungry. This is one thing I will never let happen.

To the world that is reading my little short story, I hope you take your time to think about the less fortunate. I am not asking you to donate thousands of dollars to your local charity, but even a small fee will help them survive.

Go to your local community center, ask them what help you can give to make this world a little better to live in. We need people who care. Thank you and have a happy life..


Your friend
Melody
© Copyright 2013 Melody Yeoh (melodyyeoh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1928109-Life-in-Cambodia---Post-2