*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1928464-smaurias-light
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Fantasy · #1928464
All people live to die but it is the will that keeps us alive
In this book many times will you hear weird sayings.Just remember this chapter is almost like a past memory muddled and mixed.Please rate and comment.I worked really hard on this story.Hope you enjoy it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day faded quickly. A gleam of light in the mist of darkness. I stood still watching as it faded between the trees. I took a breath. These days it was harder to walk around in plain sight. Years ago people could walk around no matter what race or culture. Now the samurai hunt begun and the rules changed. Now it was live or die. Kill or be killed. A flare came up out of the trees. Another samurai found. I had to move again. Grabbing my sword I move silently across the rooftop. I wish I was younger again. Everything was perfect. We could move through the daylight, safe and sound with no harm coming to us. Now we are forced into darkness, to be a shadow of the night forever. I flipped off the roof and onto the dock. My boat laid in the water ready to flee. I started to step forward. A flicker of movement. I was a deer frozen in the open. A guard stepped out from behind a wall. I unsheathed my sword, ready for combat. He didn’t seem to notice me at first. A brave soldier turning on his heels.

“Samurai!” cried out the guard in a deep voice.

He ran back from where he came. A howl was released from a lone wolf. I knew I was in trouble now. I bolted for my boat. A rabbit fleeing for its life. I jumped in landing hard on my leg.

‘Don’t worry about the pain now. You’re going to be dinner if you don’t hurry.’ I thought to myself.

Arrows suddenly came flying out of the darkness. I jumped out of the way but not quick enough. Blood flowed from my leg. I pushed off the dock trying to get out of range. More arrows were released. I jumped in the water barely missing the teeth of the arrow. Guiding my boat I swam in the murky water careful not to get spotted. After a few minutes I got back in my boat and looked back where I just came from. The dock was an island in the distance. I sighed and turned my attention towards my leg. A stream of red flowing down into the riverbank. Carefully I broke the tip of the arrow so I could take it out. My pain was unbearable but I held myself from crying out. I laid down on the blankets I had left and looked up at the crescent moon. As the current took hold of my boat I wondered where I would go. My home was gone and I was wanted everywhere.

‘Maybe I will let the current take me to my death.’ I thought.

Closing my eyes I though of the past. Slowly the rocking of my boat made me fall asleep. A rabbits last breathe in reality.

Fall. Such a peaceful time. A girl ran towards me with a smile on her face.

“Daddy! Your home!”

She jumped into my arms. I hugged her tightly for fear of letting her go.

“Daddy I missed you.”

She started to cry into my suit. I closed my eyes and cried with her.

“I missed you to honey.” I said.

All of the sudden I was hugging air. I looked up. The scene changed. I was on a barren road walking to an unknown place.

‘Where am I going?’ I thought.

The never-ending road laid before me. Fear crept up my spine. I began to run for my life.

‘What am I running from?’

My mind begun to reel making me dizzy. Suddenly my feet collapsed underneath me. Something started to tug on my legs. I looked behind me. Creatures of some sort were attacking my feet, gnawing at them hoping to get a piece. Right when I thought this to be the end the picture changed again. I was outside my village, watching as it burned down. People were running in the streets slaughtering the villagers left and right.

‘No!’ I yelled hoping they could hear me.

They continued to slaughter people not caring how much blood they spilled on their hands. The pictured changed again. I fell to my knees and began to cry. An angel stood in front of me covered in white, her light brown hair coming down to her knees.

‘Hannah.’ I whispered.

I began to cry.

‘What’s wrong honey? Aren’t you glad to see me?’ My wife said with a singsong voice.

‘I did it. I burned down the village. Hannah forgive me.’

My wife cocked her head to the side.

‘What are you talking about? It wasn’t your fault.’

I shook my head in disbelief.

‘My group was given orders. I had no choice. I came into our village burning the houses, killing the people in the streets. You know it’s my fault.’

‘That’s a lie.’ She said with anger in her voice.

‘I came into our house. You seemed happy at first. Then I put me sword up to your throat. You ran into the back room, to protect our daughter.’ I continued.

‘Stop lying! You didn’t do those things and you know it!’ She screamed.

I kept on talking completely ignoring her.

‘I walked into the room and approached you. You tried to fight me off but I was too strong. I left you in the house to burn.’

My wife screamed in rage. Slowly blood flowed out of a wound that suddenly appeared on her skin. Bursting into flames she melted away. Before her last breath was taken away from her she whispered terrifying words.

‘I hope you die.’

As my wife’s burning body turned into nothing I knew I would be alone forever. Closing my eyes I felt to isolated, to weak to keep on living. Darkness surrounded me, consuming me bit by bit. Soon I couldn’t breath. A rabbit taken by age, returning to reality.

I awoke to the sun blinding me. I sat up observing every detail to find were I was. My boat was on the banks on an island, barely touching the moist sand. I picked up my sword and slowly got out of the boat. Still to weak I fell into the sand. I felt like a corpse, my body limp and cold. I panted like a dog, trying to catch my breath as I put some weight on my foot. Sitting up I looked around, still trying to figure out where I was. The coastline I was on was unfamiliar to me. A stranger in an unknown person’s home. Getting up I pulled my boat in near a patch of bamboo then camouflaged it so it looked like the land it was in. Slowly I pushed through the bamboo, careful of my hurt leg. Movement to my left. A beast coming out of the shadows. Putting my hand on my hilt of the sword I watched as it approached me, keeping the distance between us.

“Are you a friend or a foe?” said the shadow in a gruff voice.

“I am a stranger in a land unfamiliar to me. I travelled far from home and I’m the enemy of many. To those I am death and others I am their saving light.” I replied.

“Do you have anything that can hurt me?” His voice seemed weary when said.

“Only my sword. But is it not a law to not hurt a fellow like me? We live by law to never hurt another samurai.”

“How did you know?” He said this time almost to a whisper.

“We live in the shadows and we ask many questions to see if we can trust the person we see or not.”

He nodded his head in reply. Slowly he stepped into the light. He was a huge man compared to me. His hair was black as the night sky. Scars marked most of his face. His eyes were a piercing blue, which sent chills up my spine by just looking at them. His age seemed to fit in the late thirties but he acted a little childish, as if the whole world was a playground.

“I am Yung Jei. I once served an empire long forgotten by man. I have travelled long and far from home, searching for a place to be safe.”

I nodded my head as I put my sword back. Walking past him I felt those eyes staring through me.

“Where are you going?” He asked.

A soul looking for an answer. I stopped and looked at him.

“Where ever the road takes me.”

A rabbit looking for a home. A dog looking for a friend. He smiled at me for a split second then his grim smile appeared again.

“Then shall we go together?” He said reaching out his hand.

I thought for a moment. I never really trusted anyone. Time has been tough on me. Knowing I had no choice I took his solid hand.

“The road is that way.” He said pointing to my right.

"Then shall we go?”

A dog finally found a friend.

“Let us go then.”

A rabbit and a dog trying to find safety to call their home.



I opened the door of the old barn to let light in. Under the sheath of hay the dog moved lazily.

“I’m heading into town. You coming?”

The dog growled warning the rabbit to leave him alone. I sighed as I walked out, closing the door behind me. For the past few days we have been living in the barn. An old house, falling apart by decay loomed over it. I rolled a few logs over to cover the door, blocking Yung Jei to come out. Yung Jei was never a silent enough so it was hard to hide. After weeks of running we finally found his place. Down the road laid a little village nestled between two mountains. We went there for food often so the whole village of us. And they knew of the danger. If anyone was caught hiding a samurai they will be tortured then killed. Soldiers came around daily, searching houses for fugitives that ran into town or any unknown samurai.

“Help!” someone yelled in the distance.

I took off, running like my life depended on it. I gasped in shock at the image before me. The mine that supplied the town had finally collapsed. A maiden in her early age laid on the ground, her leg stuck under a pile of rocks. A flower being crushed by a landfall.

“Please help me.” She pleaded

I raced over to her and started moving the rocks. Crying out a few times the girl laid there bravely enduring the pain. Finally I freed her leg enough to pull her out and away from the mine.

“Thank you samurai.”

I nodded my head breathless. Taking a look at the damage I counted her lucky. Her leg was bleeding heavily and faced the wrong way. A flower with a broken stem.

“Your leg is broke. Let me help you back into town. I’m was actually heading there before the mine fell.” I said.

She nodded her head and climbed onto my back. A flower of the back of an old rabbit. Slowly and carefully we began to descend down the mountain. By time we reached the village the sun was high in the sky.

“So where are we going to?” I asked her.

She pointed to a little alleyway.

“My home is down that way.” She said.

Suddenly I stumbled back.

“Hands off my sister you scum!” yelled a little boy.

He made a fist then brought it down. I rolled out of the way just in time. The crack of his wrist echoed in my ears.

“Damnit!” he yelled holding his wrist.

“You ok brother?”

“Of course not. Where have you been? Mom and I been looking all over for you! You said you were going to the market then come right back! We thought the soldiers took you!” he yelled.

The girl burst into tears. Her face grew solemn and she seemed helpless.

“I’m sorry. I went looking water and wanted to look by the mine. There was an explosion and rocks started to fall. I got crushed under one of them and couldn’t move. Please forgive me brother!” she wailed, her voice shrill and high.

“Hey if you two children are done then we better get you home.”

They looked at each other and nodded. I picked the girl up again and continued down the path I was told.

“My name is Walin by the way. My sister is Gem.”

“I’m Yue Chao, but you may call me stranger if you like.”

“Stranger uh? Well then here we are. My mother is inside cooking supper if you want to stay awhile.”

“Actually I just came here to buy food for me and my friend. You two stay out of trouble ok?”

The boy nodded. I set his sister down and walked back out the way I came.

“Hey stranger! You are welcome back anytime you like!” Walin yelled.

I waved my hand in reply.

“What the hell!” I yelled as I reached the corner.

Two soldiers stood outside the alleyway, blocking my way to safety.

“You are a samurai, poison of the government. Now is your time to die here and now!”

My fingers felt for the hilt of my sword. Pulling it out I held it tightly in my hand, fearful of letting it go. They ran towards me with quick feet. I danced out of the way barely missing the teeth of the sword as it lashed out at me. Recovering from the first attack I raised the blunt end of my sword and brought it down, hitting one of them in the back making them collapse. As I turned towards the tall one the one on the ground kicked me hard in the shin. The rabbit falling with the edge of death on his breathe. Trying to get up my leg was fire and my body was ice. It felt as though I was melting. Getting a good grip on my sword I managed to get up fully, nearly meeting the mouth of the sword flying through the air. The other guy cursed as stumbled through the dirt. The rabbit making a dangerous decision. My blade dance between my fingers as I raced towards the other guy. My sword drank blood as it went through his forearm. Reaching over to be free of the blade he reached behind me and yanked my hair hard. Pulling away from him I managed to get free. Making my way towards the alleyway I heard his breath as he walked, the stench of madness embedded in him.

“You aren’t getting away that easily samurai.” He called out, as though taunting me.

Looking around I found what I could use. I jumped on a wooden crate and pushed back, bringing my sword down. A rabbit making a daring leap. Blood splattered on the walls, staining them red. It oozed down making a sickening drop, each time echoing in my ear. My sword stood lodged inside of the soldier’s neck. He glanced at me with pleading eyes. Bringing my sword down fully I watched at his body fell, a sickening thud that has met with the blood. Blood flowed out like a river. I moved back into the street where the other guy laid withering in pain.

“Who ratted me out?” I whispered into his ear.

“As though the mountains will not bow down to the wind I will not bow down to you samurai.” He said.

I stepped hard on his back, listening to how his back cracked. He cried out in fearful pain.

“Tell me who ratted me out?”

“Never samurai.”

I felt my face boil to red as he refused to break open. Ending his life there and then I knew I would never find out.

“Samurai!” a voice yelled behind me.

I turned to face an unknown site. A bull running for the rabbit. Walin rushed towards me, tears rolling down his face.

“Easy kid. What’s wrongs?”

A rabbit trying to comfort a bull.

“They took her.” He sobbed.

“Took who?”

“My sister. Please samurai you must help me.” He cried.

I kneeled down and looked him in the eyes.

“Who took her? Where did they go?”

He started crying again. A rabbit careful not to set off a bull.

“It’s alright.” I said ”Just point which way they went.”

The boy looked up. Slowly he raised his hands towards the mountain.

“To the mine.” He whispered.

I stared at the mountain before standing up.

“I swear to you I will bring her back safely and get rid of those who took her.”

The bull with a bright smile.

“Thank you samurai.”

I watched as he raced back towards the house then looked at the bloody mess I made.

“Oh well. I guess I will clean it up later.” I said to myself.

Walking out of the town I knew I needed to find the girl and fast. A rabbit in search of a flower long gone from earth. The scrape of feet of the barren dirt ground. I turned to face the fear of every samurai. I sighed as I came to a stop.

“This day gets better and better.” I said.
© Copyright 2013 faysjourney (wolfsrain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1928464-smaurias-light