*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1933780-Hamock-Part-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Other · Action/Adventure · #1933780
Part 2 of Hamock
I woke hot and sweaty in the heat of the morning sun, and stood up out of the sleeping bag and gave a stretch, I then got my phone out of the bag and turned it on, the time was 10:45 Rebecca was probably trying to ring me, so I dialled her number and it rang about seven times then came Bec’s tired voice:
“Hello, did you sleep in”
“Yeah, how are you?”
“Getting there”
“has the old man come round yet?”
“Yes he came round he’s doing fine, the police interviewed him and he stuck to the story I told him. But listen grandad told me what’s going on, he said he used to be a hit man back in the 80’s and figured it was someone trying to get revenge for someone he killed, he’s been lying to me all these years about his past, he told me he was a painter when he was young”
“Yeah fucken hell”
“And that’s not the only thing, he said there’s a million dollars in cash buried out bush that he made off doing hits, and wants us to get it so we can start over in new Zealand, there’s a boat waiting in Bridport, and that we can leave as soon as the cops leave us alone”
“Shit a million dollars, he must have been doing the hits for years.” I said.
“Yeah it’s like he’s someone completely different to me now, I mean I never really knew him, it’s all been lies” Rebecca said.
“He’s still your grandad babe and he loves you, I can tell”
“I know and I love him, it’s just  so unreal, there’s not some dark secret hiding in your past that I should know about before we go any further?”
“No I’ve told you everything don’t worry. So how much longer is your grandad going to be in there?”
“Doctors said another couple days”
“Ok have the cops been to your house yet?”
“The said they would be going there today to take a look around” Bec said.
“Ok we’ll, I’ll carefully go back to the house later and stay there till you get home and hopefully avoid cops”
“Ok well I’m going back to the house for a rest soon, did you want me to wait for you before going back to the hospital?”
“Nah I’ll be right”
My phone beeped
“My phones going flat, I’m gonna go now” I said
“Ok  I love you”
“Love you too bye”
“bye”
And I hung up.
Later that day I walked back to the property.. The day was hot and muggy with a few  clouds.  As I walked  I didn’t notice any cops as the farm came into view. The cow’s would need milking and some hey and the rest of the animals would need feeding as well.  When I arrived at the farm I jumped on the four wheeler and rode it to the house, I went in with the key and went and had a shower and something to eat, Rebecca had already been as I could smell her deodorant in the air of the bathroom, I went out to the bedroom and put my phone on to charge then went outside.
I then went about the day feeding the animals and milking the cows and various things that needed doing, the milk truck came about 10:30 am and took the milk. It was five PM by the time I finished and I was tired and dirty so I went in the house and had a shower then gave Bec a call.
The phone range twice Bec answered with:
“Hello”
“Hey babe how’s grandad”
“He’s doing much better, he’s been eating well and resting, he wants to talk to you”
There was a short pause of the phones switching then came the old mans voice:
“David you there?”
“how are you tommy(Tom being Becs grandads name), how’s the pain”
“Not too bad they got me drugged to eyes balls, so I don’t feel it much. You should come in and bring me a beer”
“What about cops?”
“Your too paranoid, you’ll be right”
“I’m pretty sure they’ll be running checks on visitors and I’ve got a warrant out, so I think I’ll you’ll just have to wait till you get back”
“Sissy”
“Watch your mouth, you old cunt, your never too old for a smack”
“I’ll give you a smack’n when we get back, don’t you worry about that”
“Looking forward too it” I laugh a bit then say: ” So I hear you’ve got a million buried out bush”
“Yeah, where going to new Zealand”
“What about the farm, who’s gonna take it over”
“Don’t worry about a thing , I’ve got someone line up, so when you going to get me that beer”
“Why don’t you get Rebecca to get you one”
“She doesn’t like me drinking, just come in with a six pack and we’ll sink a few”.
“I don’t think your aloud to drink in hospital, I’ll have a look for a flask, do you drink spirits?”
“Yeah that’s the way bring me that , and you’ll be my favourite future son in law in the world”
I heard Rebecca’s voice in the background then tom said:
“Anyways I’ll catch ya later, and I look forward to this smack’n, and if your lucky I’ll get my whip”
Tommy laughed then  Bec’s voice came:
“Your not thinking about coming in here with beer are you?”
“No don’t worry I’m staying put, but could you sneak in a flask of whisky for him, I know withdrawals can be hard”
“No!, he needs to give up, sorry I wont support it”
“How about just a little bit a little splash on the bottom of it”
“Have you feed the animals today?”
“Yes and milked the cows and finished of the fences”
“You’ve done well, did you gather the eggs”
“Yes don’t  worry babe, it’s all taken care off “
“Cool , so what do you think about leaving for new Zealand?” Bec said.
“I think I’ll miss the place, I don’t really want to go, I mean what are we going to do over there, and isn’t it cold over there?”
“Not much different than here, it’s going to be awesome, where going to buy and work on a vineyard, before you say anything picture this, the house is the size of a mansion, it’s pretty old and all built out of wood looks kind of like a log cabin about the size of a log cabin hotel,. It has ten bedroom, four bathrooms four car garage, fully furnished , I could show you the photo’s later tonight, all amid the beautiful Vancouver mountains.”
“I still don’t know , I just get a funny feeling about it, anyway what do you know about running a vineyard”
“There’s a manager and a team of workers already there, so it won’t be too difficult”
“It’s not that I don’t wont to go, I’ll be happy anywhere in the world as long as I’m with you, It’s just this bad feeling I keep getting, it’s something to do with the money I’m sure”
“But if we don’t get the money we wont be able to start off fresh and we need to move away from Tassie, now there’s a hit out on grandad it’s not safe here, and we won’t be telling anybody about the move except for Peter who’s taking over the farm, and we’ve explained the situation so he wont talk. So there shouldn’t be any worries about them finding us”
“I’m just saying if we get the money your not coming, it’ll be me and the old man on this mission “
“I think I’m ok with that, but grandad will have to take it easy”.
“It should be fine , I just need him to show me where the money is, I’ll handle the rest.
“Ok well We’ll talk more when I get home”
“How far away are you?”
“I’ll be another couple hours”
“Ok we’ll I’ll see you then”
“Ok bye, love you”
“Love you too bye”
I hung up the phone.  I got up and went outside and strolled around the farm remembering all the time we spent there, and how I would miss the place. I got memories of Felatio on the field, having it off in the hey shed, and rooting down by the river and the time we got pissed in the corn field and couldn’t  walk straight so we slept there, yeah I’d miss this place, but I’m sure there will be many more memories to make with her in New Zealand. I got up and made a cup of tea then went into the lounge and gave the paper a read.

A couple hours later I woke with the newspaper covering my face, to the sound of Rebecca’s Ute pulling up. I got up, went outside and greeted Bec with a kiss which she returned.  We went into the house and Bec plonked down in the old light green chair, while I made cups of tea.
Bec sat there legs crossed, wearing black tights and pink miniskirt with some white blouse and hair straightened , she looked hot.
Rebecca sipped her tea then spoke “Doctors said grandad will be out of there tomorrow, so tomorrow it’s all going into motion, First You will go with grandad and get the money, while I wait for Bobby, then”
“Who’s bobby?  I interrupted.
“He’s my grandad’s nephew, he’s going to take over the farm”
“Ok so we get the money, then what pack our things and take off for New Zealand in a boat”
“That’s the plan”
“Have you talked to people your buying the property off”
“Yes, that’s all sorted and they said they had no problem with excepting cash for payment, so there’s nothing to worry about”

We finished our cups of tea, then Bec cooked some stir fry, then we went to bed.
The next day I woke to the sound of the radio and Bec cooking breakfast.
“Finally awake, I’ve been awake since four” Said Bec while placing a plate with a pancake on it on the table in front of me.
I looked at the clock it was 7:00 am.
I said” Why were you up so early?”
“I don’t know I guess I have a lot of extra energy, from not working the last couple days”
“Yeah well, you’ll use that today”
Bec smiled and said “We could use the energy right now, if you want”
So went into the bedroom and had a sex three times in a row.
Afterwards we had a shower together , which turned into a rapid pounding up against the shower wall.
We got showered and dressed I wore my black striped pants and dark blue Nike T-shirt while Bec put on a white skirt with splashes of blue in it and white shirt. Rebecca went to pick up grandad while I fed the animals and pottered around the farm.


Every time I thought of going ahead with the plan and getting the money, I felt an uneasy feeling. I thought to myself maybe I should get Tom (Bec’s grandad) to draw a map and stay behind with Bec.
It was a couple hours later when Bec got back, I was chopping up a log with the chainsaw on the small patch of bushland we had near the river and I didn’t hear her get back , I just heard hear yelling suddenly from behind me and turned off the chainsaw and turned around.  She stood there with her grandad who wore his usual kaki overalls and flannelette shirt.
Bec said “ You’ve been busy”
Tom said” you ready to go get that money”.
I replied “ Yeah I’m ready”
We walked back to the house and Bec said on the way:
“So what have you been up to, have you fed the animals?”
“Yes “ I said
“Have you stock the fridge with beer?” Said Bec’s grandad”
“No sorry mate I haven’t”
“Ya fucken Beer Nazis “
We came to the house and Bec’s grandad went towards the Ute.
Bec said “Where do you think your going”
“I’m going to get some beer”
“Well you wont be getting far without these” said Bec dangling the keys in the air.
I looked at Bec’s grandad and said “ I think you should lay off the beer , just until we get to New Zealand”
“Ok, but when we get there it’s your shout for a carton”
“I can handle that”
Tommy said “Well what are we waiting for lets go get that money”
“I’ve been thinking, and I think I should go get this money on my own, after all you’ve just been shot”
“Rubbish , I’ll be right and you can do all the work” said Tommy.
“I just  don’t think it’s a good idea, I’ve been having a bad feeling about this event and I don’t want to see either of you get hurt. Can’t you just draw a map or somthing”
“My memories not that good and It’s down a heap of dirt roads, I have no idea how to get there in my mind, I always remembered by certain things on the way that lead me to it. I’m coming wether I have to ride the Triumph or you take me in the Ute, one way or another I’m coming”
“Alright old man you win but just don’t push yourself too hard”
I walked up to Rebecca and kissed her forehead and said: “ Where gonna go now babe”
Bec replied kind of exited: “ Oh I can’t wait to see all that money, be safe” She kissed me and I kissed her back.
“Back soon” I said walking to the Ute.
“Ok” Bec said.
I got in the Ute and drove away and gave a beep and saw Bec waving in the rear vision mirror.
We drove south along the highway as instructed by Tommy. It was the usual hot summer day and we had the windows open as we cruised the road through the nice Tasmanian scenery. Tommy was silent for most of the trip until we got to Cambell town and Tommy asked me to pull over  for just one beer, So I did and he bought a six pack.
“Bec won’t be happy about that” I said when he came out of the bottle shop smiling.
“I’m a grown man,  I should be able to have a few”.
40 more K’s and four beers later Tommy told me to turn off. Then we drove down a series of dirt roads stopping at each fork and T-junction for a second so Tommy could make a decision about which way to go then kept going. We drove for a further 40 minutes turning up and down dirt roads then  Tommy said with surprise:
“Here it is”
“Where?”
“Just pull over here”
I pulled over and we got out of the Ute.
“See that dead tree over there, it’s about five hundred metres past there, then you should be able to see a two rocks that kind of look like some ones arse sticking out of the ground, dig there then you should find it in a chest and in that is a suitcase with the money”
I grabbed the shovel and followed the directions and walked across the paddock past the dead tree and into the bush. I walked for a couple of minutes through the bush and came across two oval shaped rocks sticking out of the ground, it really did look like some ones arse. I started digging into the grassy ground, it was hot and ten minutes later I was sweating and the hole was about a metre deep, I wiped my forehead and kept digging. I dug for a further ten minutes then hit something hard, I began digging around the box to give me access to it when I heard the crack of a gunshot, it sounded like a shotgun, it came from the road,  I climbed out of the hole and ran toward the road, as I got closer I heard some machine gun fire followed by another shotgun shot. I came into the view of the road and saw a brown BMW with a body laying next to it, Tommy lay beside the Ute which had smashed windows and bullet holes in it, I could make out movements as I got closer. I ran and jumped the fence on the full and went and crouched near Tommy,  he had about five bullet holes in his chest and arms.
In between coughing up blood Tommy said:
“Just get the money son”
“No where going straight to the hospital”
“Don’t worry about me, it’s the money there after, just get it”
I grabbed Tommy under the arms and dragged him into the back seat of the car, then a thought came to me that I should stop the bleeding, so I took off my t-shirt and belt then ripped the t-shirt into strips then tied them and the belt around the bloody holes, there was one wound left open so I went and took the belts of the two dead men that lay around the BMW, then went back to the car and tied those belts around the wound, The bleeding appeared to have slowed if not stopped so I climbed into the front seat and started the engine and turned the car around and sped down the road. A couple minutes of driving later and I realized I’d need to get rid of the bag of shotgun ammo, so I reached over and grabbed the bag of ammo and threw it out of the window at least now I’d have no question from anybody about the shotgun at least until the cops find it.  I followed my nose drifting around corners like I used to do with beat up cars when I was younger.  I heard Tommy coughing and trying to say something, I looked back for a second then said: “ Hang in there mate”. We came to the highway and I gave it to her  and we belted down the highway  at 160 kmph. Tommy stoped coughing and went quite and I looked around, he lay there still.
“Come on hang in there!” I yelled as I drove.
“Tommy! Wake up, talk to me!”
I kept trying to wake him but he made no sound and I couldn’t hear any breathing  over the sound of the old Ute’s engine. I was going 100 in a 60 zone weaving through traffic on the two lane road when I heard sirens and looked back to see flashing blue and red lights, I Ignored them and kept driving. After ten minutes of driving with a cop chasing me we arrived at the street of the Hobart general hospital and the cops drove in front of me and tried to block my path, so I swerved over to the other side of the road the drove up the wrong way of the street then into the front entrance of the hospital, the cops pulling up behind me , I got out of the Ute and ran into the hospital while the two cops shouted something. I ran through the sliding doors and up to the reception and yelled: “ You have to get out there my grandad’s half dead with bullet holes in him!”
She looked at me for a split second then said to her workmate:
“Get some people out there now”
A few nurses and a paramedic rushed out to the Ute, I rushed after them then felt somebody  grab my arm and in a man’s voice they said:
“Hold it right there mate, we need to talk to you”
It was the cops, two of them
“So what’s going on” Said the shorter female officer.
I told them a story about, it being my grandads last wish to dig up a time capsule, and that we where attacked unprovoked. After telling them the story, The good looking male officer said that I’d be charged later for the dangerous driving and that I’d need to show them where this all happened and that I needed to go with him back to the scene, I told him I would have to ring my girlfriend first, he said that that wasn’t possible and that he’d need to take my phone off me, he then conducted a search of me and found nothing of interest and gave me back my things except my phone, which he said he’d give back after the investigations where finished.  I told the cop I needed to use the toilet and he obliged.
I sat on the toilet floor arms crossed and siting on my knees, I needed a phone so I waited for someone with a phone to go to toilet and I was in luck, someone who looked like a doctor came into the toilet, so I asked him if I could use his phone and that it was an emergency, the doctor looking man looked at me for a second then said ok just make it quick. I rang the house phone and Rebecca answered with a hello, and my heart sunk. I just sat on the other end silent for a second as Rebecca repeated hello then said:
“Grandad’s been shot five times”
“What!, is he alright”
“I don’t know he looks bad”
“Which hospital are you at?”
“Hobart General”
I heard Rebecca fighting off tears
“Ok I’m coming”
And she hung up
I went back out to the lobby
“Ok mate lets go” said the tall male cop.
I pretended to not know the way back to the money and took the cop on a goose chase that ended up 50 k’s away from where the money was, I told him that only Bec’s grandad knew how to get there,  and that it was somewhere  around this area, which was nowhere near where the spot. After the cop drove around for another couple hours with no luck, he finally gave in and we headed back to the hospital.
As soon as we arrived back at the hospital I hoped and waited for somebody to use the toilet and had luck a man with short brown hair and dressed nice, wearing a nice white pin stripped shirt black pants and nice green tie,he headed for the toilet. So I excused myself to the toilet and went into the toilet and waited till the nicely dressed man had finished  then told him it was an emergency like I did with the last guy and he said I was more than welcome to use it as he had plenty of credit, He handed me the phone and I rang Becs mobile number which I still had written on a piece of paper in my wallet from the first time she gave it to me.
I told her about the cops and what to tell them, so she could get it straight. When I got out of the toilet the female officer said:
“Where going to need your full statement down at the station”
I replied “Can’t we do it here?, I don’t want to leave in case something happens”
“Ok but we may need a video interview in future”
The female cop went up to the front desk and asked them something then the receptionist lead us to a room that looked like a doctor’s office.
I  gave a full statement telling them the story about the Time capsule, she appeared to buy it.
The female cop lead me back to the waiting room. I went up to the front office and asked them how Tommy was doing, the receptionist just told me to wait for the doctor to come out. So I sat down in one of the brown plastic chairs that where all connected and just waited and hoped that Tommy would be ok.
About ten minutes later a doctor came out and told me tommy was in surgery and was in a critical condition and that they would do there best to save him.
About forty minutes after that Rebecca walked through the door , I got up and gave her a hug and she let out a burst of crying.
After letting go of the hug Rebecca said “Where’s grandad?” in quiet husky voice
I replied: “ He’s in surgery still”
We stood there hugging for what seemed only seconds , Rebecca had stopped crying now and just held me.
I looked around and there where now ten police men and women in the room, outside a few of them where looking over the Ute that was still parked outside with bullet holes and smashed windows, and the rest stood in the waiting room taking statements from the nurses and doctors. The same female cop that interviewed me came over to us and asked Rebecca to come and give a statement. Rebecca ignored her till I told her that she should go give one and that it wouldn’t take long, so she went with the officer.
Half an hour later Rebecca came back to the waiting room and sat beside me then lent her head on my shoulder. We waited like that as the police thinned out and the female cop and her partner came and sat in front of us and chatted amongst them self’s.
I could hear photo’s being taken outside , I think it was forensics looking over the Ute.
It was starting to get late and I was thirst so told the male officer that I needed a drink so the male officer took me to the vending machine, It was quite down that low light hall, I always thought of the ground floor as a kind of mystery as I never hear anything , but can Imagine that just beyond these walls there could be some pile of mush with a heart beat being revived or some strange sexual mishap being taken care off. I bought  two waters and walked back to the waiting room with the officer and sat back down with Bec who was curled up her chair , I offered her the water which she hesitantly took, she took one sip and set it aside, I took two big swallows then sat back down and noticed Bec was back in her usual position with her head on my shoulder. We waited through most of the night, I watched the TV vaguely while Rebecca just stroked my arm with her finger.
For hours it went on like this until one the cops said that there shift was over and two younger officers came over to us and  introduced them selfs as constable Harriot and sergeant Stone,  then sat in the chairs in front of us.  A couples hours after this and a cop came in and said the charges for dangerous driving would be dropped because of the circumstances with my girlfriends granddad,and that the two officers stationed would be put to other uses. I was told that I couldn't leave the state until the investigations where over they gave my phone back and the three cops left.
It was just me and Bec and a couple other people now and I told Bec to come outside so I could talk to her. She gave a stretch and followed me out.
I spoke :” I think we were followed, I had no idea they where there, I was digging and heard the gunfire, but by the time I got back to the Ute it was too late”
“Do you know who these dog scum were?”
“No idea, they looked mob related, they had a fucking Uzi”
“I don't think he'll make it through this time, he's been shot five times and his old and worn” said Rebecca staring into a shadow on the ground made by the street light and a car and let a dry shiver sort of cry go.
I went over and hugged her for a while lost for words.
“We should probably go back inside and wait for this doctor” I said
“Ok”
So we went and sat in our chairs that were still free. A couple more hours later and a well dressed  doctor wearing a pink shirt came into the waiting room and walked towards us and Bec stood up and said:
“How is he is he..”
“He still alive but is in a critical condition, we managed to get all the bullets out and now all he needs is time to rest”
Bec said “ can we see him?”
“I think it'd be better if you came back tomorrow, or should I say later today, why don't you go home and get some rest.  You'll get a call if his condition changes”
“Ok I think we will do that”
“I don't want to leave, I'm staying”
“Come on babe..”
“No! I'm staying”
“Ok well I'm staying too then”
“Ok well come up to ICU tomorrow about midday and you can see him. Said the doctor and left the waiting room in a brisk walk.
We spent that morning in the waiting room and had breakfast of salad sandwiches which Bec didn't eat. The morning news was on and there was a story about a corrupt cop that got fired.
I said to Bec: “ that's the cop that framed me, he's been fired”
“Do you think the charges will be dropped?”
“I don't know maybe”
It was twelve o five when a nurse came in and told us we could see our granddad, so we took the elevator to the sixth floor and asked at the nurses station for the room number then walked down the dimly lit hall to the room. Bec's granddad lay there still, with the breathing machine pumping and heart monitor beeping.  Bec slowly walk up to the bed and held her granddad's hand for a while, then a nurse came in and said:
“Times up now”
Bec said: “ When can we see him agian”
“You'll have to speak to the doctor about that”
“Ok well can you get the doctor then?”
“Ok but you'll have to come and wait in the hall” said the nurse, so we went into the hallway and sat on some chairs and waited for the doctor. We waited for 20 minutes then a black haired doctor wearing a white shirt approached us, and said:
“Rebecca is it?”
“Yeah I just want to know why my granddad's on a breathing machine is he brain damaged?”
“No no, were still getting readings from his brain, he's not brain dead, we just need to keep him on the breath pump for a few days to help him recover, then we'll take him off it, he's had quite an ordeal and he probably wont be concious for a while yet”.
“Ok so we've just gotta wait it out then”
“I recommend that you go home and get some sleep,  have we got your mobile number?”
I spoke:” Yes we gave both our numbers to reception last night”
“Ok well don't worry if anything changes here we'll call you”
“What do you say babe, go home and get some rest. Were no good to anybody if where tired as this”
Rebecca just stared at space and nodded her head and managed an OK.
I drove us back home, going the speed limit this time, we drove the new white  Commodore we had just bought and before I knew it I was in bed showered and falling asleep.
I woke early to the sound of a motor bike in the distance. I got up and made a coffee Rebecca was still asleep so I took a shower then decided to go sit on the porch and drink it. As I stepped through the front door I noticed something fall out of the bottom of the door. It was a  note on some yellow lined paper it read:

I was there when you dug up the money
And the hit on your girlfriends grandfather has be lifted
I used the money as compensation for the hit
Hope your granddad get's better

Alex

I thought to my self that's rich coming from the man who tried to kill him, did Alex somehow see the error of his ways and fix the whole mess, it seemed to good to be true. But it turns out it wasn't, Bec's granddad woke up a few days later, it took him a further 6 months to recover properly, he gave up beer and took up herbal tea's and did a lot of fishing. Me and Bec where back to working on the property the corn crop was a bumper harvest and the cows where milking good. It seemed everything was going fine. Then one day it got better when my daughters mother came to the farm, she  said she was wrong to keep her away from me and that I could have some time with her every week end.  We finally cleaned out Bec's grandma's room and turned it into a room for Sarah. Life was finally all peaches.

The End

© Copyright 2013 dvdtomkins (dvdtomkins at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1933780-Hamock-Part-2