*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1934060-Bound
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Personal · #1934060
An essay I wrote for class about my grandmother.
When someone thinks of the word “bound”, typically they think of being constrained, restricted, or otherwise limited by an imposing force. However, when I think of being bound I think of being propelled forward. I think of my best friend. I think of my grandma, Icy Elizabeth Chappell (Libby). She’s been my rock and solid ground since I can remember, she’s been my best friend when I needed her, and she’s been my salvation. The most remarkable thing is she does this all while dealing with problems of her own.
Anytime I needed someone to solid ground me I have always gone to my grandma. I remember in first grade, I had my first crush and I told my grandma first thing. She gave me a talk on the maturity difference between boys and girls especially at that age. In seventh grade, I had a lot of questions and my delightful grandma was there to answer them or set me up to answer them myself. I asked her questions about cheating. She responded with the story of when my grandfather cheated and how they got back together. She asked me “Can you find it in yourself to forgive him and trust him not to do it again?” I understood that her words were wise and not without experience and that encouraged me to take her words to heart. It’s those acts and words of wisdom that have kept me grounded for fifteen and a half years.
Elbert Hubbard was stated, “A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same.” My grandma does just that. She knows my deepest secrets, my desires, my goals, and yet she still loves me. She still loves me through the mistakes I’ve made and through all my mood swings. She knows how to comfort me. She has seen me through my worst and through my best.
Most importantly, my Grandma Libby has been my salvation. I have constantly been battling myself for the past couple of years struggling to find myself. I have had doubts about many things during that time, including my faith. I once inquired to my grandmother, “What if we’re wrong? What if Christianity is wrong?” My grandma comforted me, “As long as you believe in something, that’s all that matters.” My grandma has always been there to help me find more and more of myself. Without her I would be lost.
My grandma has been my everything since I was little. She has been there when I had boy trouble. She has been there when I needed answers spiritually as well as physically. I lean on my grandma for support. I am bound to her love and I never want to be freed from that.
© Copyright 2013 Elizabeth Swan (xxrebel7xx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1934060-Bound