*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1940060-Journeys-Chapter-Three--Home-Life
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1940060
Mars dicusses home life in Cheul
Chapter Three: Home Life



My house was pretty much just like any other house in Cheul. It was dull, narrow and small. There was no difference inside the house either. The only rooms that were even remotely interesting were the parlor and my own. My room was all the way on the second floor. It was the only room in the entire house that even had coloured walls. Inside the room were souvenirs of my father’s seaman life, things I’ve found at the shore or made and random things that my friends have given me in the past. The walls were adorned with photographs and maps that I’ve drawn of imaginary lands. When I was younger I saw a map that my father brought back from his travels and from then on all I wanted to be was a mapmaker. Day in and day out I would draw maps. There were times when I would even be reprimanded for my compulsive mapmaking because I would be so engrossed in my actions that I wouldn’t even notice my surroundings. Sometimes I would even go the cliff overlooking the sea to just draw maps because the scene was so breathtaking and serene.

My room had the best view of the ocean in the whole house. Dead center in the wall opposite of my door was a huge window. Rain or shine, the sea would never look as beautiful as it did from my room. It was as if I could, from that window, accept the sea for what it really was: a beauty to look at when at ease but scary when enraged.

As I entered the house I noticed that everyone was fast asleep. I tiptoed quietly up the stairs to my bathroom to bathe and get changed and then go to sleep. On my “trek” to the bathroom

I felt an odd vibe. I felt like I wasn’t the only one awake; like I wasn’t alone. Instead of going to the bathroom I decided to go to sleep instead and just sleep in my underwear. As I approached my door I felt my foot suddenly get caught on something, and I felt face forward on the hard wooden floor of the upstairs hallway.

“And may I ask where the hell have you been?” A young but stern feminine voice asked me. I looked up, pitifully and in utter shock.

“I was out taking a walk, Katel, and I just happened to notice that it was very late.” I lied. She looked at me with disbelief. Katel is my older sister, age eighteen, who decided to not get married and stay with us during my father’s last voyage as a sailor. She’s rather tall, has long brown hair and amber eyes. Katel’s a very hard worker who is a beautiful person on the inside and out, but she’s also a pain to live with at times and is not gullible at all.

“Listen, I’ll cut you a deal. If you come clean about where you were for the past few hours, I’ll maybe, just maybe, decide to save your ass. If not, I guess you’ll just have to deal with being hit at the back of soaking wet legs.” I grimaced. In my household there was a penalty for everything. If you forgot to go to the market for food: two lashes with a wooden stick, and if you even dared to not do your homework: two lashes of with a wooden stick, and you would have to scrub the bathroom with a toothbrush, but the worst penalty of all was for being late or for missing a curfew. That required for you to soak your legs in very cold water and then proceed to getting them smacked several times with a wooden stick. The only person I’ve even witnessed having that happen to him was my brother Airen.

“Alright, I went to the tavern to talk to Mizzy about something. There I told you.” I murmured. Katel’s eyes widened, expressing shock.

“Are you out of your mind? You could have been killed or raped or… oh only Piem knows what! I suggest you get to bed now and away from me before I reconsider covering up for you. Go, now!” I got up off the floor and ran into my room, thanking Piem for saving me once again.



© Copyright 2013 And Momo was Loco (momoberries14 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1940060-Journeys-Chapter-Three--Home-Life