*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1941347-Underland-Chapter-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1941347
Daniel becomes acquainted with his new companion and searches for new escapes.
The strange green sun of Underland was no longer shining through his window but now the green light it shed seemed to be illuminating everything beyond the shadow of the house. As he rolled over to face the window he found the small purple creature from the night before laying next to his, quite resituated and wide awake, it was this creature's breathing that had awakened him. It cheeped happily when its gaze met his eyes and jumped off the bed and flapped its wings excitedly in the air.

"Well hello little bugger," Daniel whispered as he sat up and stretched, "You seem all full of energy."

At that moment the door to his small borrowed room swung open and in stepped Benwyn with the cat Arthur sitting on his shoulder, "Well Mr. Riddel it's abou' time-" Benwyn froze as he spotted the strange flying lizard, "Well now loo's li'e you've ma'e yourseln a lil' friend."

"I was wanting to ask," Daniel started as he turned to face Benwyn, "What the devil is that?"

"Aye well it be a dragon, I've no' seen one o' tha' color before," he pondered the little creature for a moment, "Bu' tha's wha' it be."

Arthur hopped down from Benwyn, "Regardless of that, Daniel we need to set to work getting you ready. Killing the warlock, saving the princess, this task before you is no joke."

Daniel sighed and sat down on the bed again, "I know, I can't believe I'm doing this. Hell, I can't believe I'm taking this seriously." The little dragon lighted on his lap and cheeped happily at him, "Alas this is either a horrifically long dream, or I simply must follow through with your plans." He smirked as he picked up the little dragon and stood, turning to the talking cat and the well-mannered, if gruff, dwarf, "Either way I may as well follow the path in front of my feet."

"That's the spirit! Now come along, Bruntilda's going to get you fitted and Benwyn's going to suit you up with some equipment."

Benwyn smiled and gruffly stated, "Heavy stuff's my specialty but you seem a bit light weighted, I'm sure I could whip something up."

Daniel nodded hesitantly, then shuffled into the kitchen behind Benwyn. Bruntilda stood in front of the stove, spatula in hand. She waved it threateningly at her husband, shaking her head. "Nay, Benwyn! Boy's got' eat and he stinks!"

"He's just gon' get dirty again!" thundered Benwyn.

Daniel cleared his throat and shifted nervously from foot to foot, while the couple spoke heatedly for a few minutes. Finally, Benwyn threw his hands into the air and stomped over to the table where he was promptly served what looked like eggs, sausages, and toast with butter. Daniel sat awkwardly next to him, where he was handed a glass of what appeared to be milk. He tasted it carefully, surprised when he realized it tasted something like marmalade. All four of them ate with gusto. Moving with purpose, she refilled each plate, then again once a sufficient amount seemed to have been consumed. Feline Arthur and the tiny purple dragon seemed to be no exception to her determination to make every living being in the room pop. After her second plate, Bruntilda began to busy herself by filling the copper tub with hot water from her giant kettle. She shooed the others from the room, thrust towards Daniel a rough looking towel and a bar of strong smelling soap, along with a small bushel of what appeared to be clothing, then turned on her diminutive heal and left also.

Daniel awkwardly stuffed his long body into the tub, swatting absent mindedly at the cooing lizard who kept trying to land on the lip of the tub. He washed himself quickly and roughly with the soap, which was pale green and crumbly, but smelled pleasantly of something sharp and herbal. He dressed quickly, surprised that the clothes fit and were half as nice as they were. He had a nasty suspicion that they belonged to Thrushcross, but he cast the thought aside for the moment, already disconcerted with the rather antique number of buttons on the waste coat.

Daniel stepped out of the wash room and was immediately greeted by Bruntilda, who, without a word, looked him up and down then ushered him into what he presumed to be their living room, where he was stepped up onto a stool and began being prodded and pushed as she checked his sizes, his waist, his arm length, even the width and breadth of his shoulders. After getting measurements on what Daniel perceived to be nearly every inch of his person, Bruntilda jotted them all down on a notepad, then ripped the paper out and trotted off.

"Suddenly she's not very talkative," Daniel muttered to Arthur.

Arthur nodded, "Yeah when she's doing work she gets real quiet, professional-like."

"Do you know of any other options for me Arthur?"

Arthur chuckled, "Well despite the fact that the princess' return serves my purposes as well, I’m an honorable type of guy, and I'd let you know if there were other feasible options."

Riddel stepped down from the stool and stretched his arms, "Feasible?"

"There's always attempting to dig through the ceiling."

"Right."

The little purple dragon lighted in Daniel's outstretched arms and snuggled up to his chest, cheeping happily. Arthur wandered off, with Daniel following close behind, leading the way to Benwyn's shed outside the house, where was already hard at work forging the first pieces of Daniel's gear.

Daniel trailed after the others, curiously examining everything in his path. There seemed to be everything you would expect in a blacksmith's shop. Yet, there seemed to be random instruments that he had never seen, nor heard of. Though, he mused glumly, he wasn’t particularly familiar with profession. It wasn’t as if he would know.

He was, however, quite intrigued with the various weapons scattered around in different stages of completion. Hammers and axes and swords were scattered about, some mere molds ready to be tempered and shaped, some being delicately inlaid with stones and metals. It was quite the sight, he thought, though it was very humid. His clothes began to stick to his sides and his hair began to drip within only a few minutes of standing near the great furnace. He smiled wryly, suddenly agreeing with Benwyn's earlier assessment that he would, indeed, just get dirty again.

Benwyn stood, bending his stocky body in such a way that the bones in his back made a great and terrible creak. He sighed happily then turned to Daniel. "So… Whatche know about fighting?"

"I took up a little fencing as a youth, under my tutor, but that's really all I know."

Benwyn smiled, "Just like a human, fencing. Artsy swordplay, ye don't know nothin' 'bout war and blood. Ye like the pretty sporty fighting. Tha's okay, till Thrushcross got here he was like that too."

Daniel gulped, the gruff Dwarf seemed to expect more of him than skill at parrying and scoring on torso blows. He looked around and found two sabers and a rapier hanging in the corner, the beautiful craft said much for a fondness of the blades, or of the art of crafting. In fact everything in the Dwarf's shop was beautiful and finely crafted.

"I s'pose ye can't wear iron armor either. What about scales, ye ever worn any sort of armor."

Daniel blushed, "Fencing padding, that's all."

"Aye scale'll be a bi' 'eavier, bu' it's a bi' be'er protection too."

Benwyn waved at a chest in the corner and Arthur quickly grabbed the chest with his tail and began dragging it toward the Dwarf. Remarkably the little cat's tail seemed to have the full strength of a human arm, not that remarkable once Daniel took into consideration the goings on of the night before. The gruff little man bent down and opened the chest, revealing a red scale mail tunic and pair of leggings.

"Dragon scales, a holdover from my position as the king's smithy," he smiled as he looked over the armor, "None of the knights were the proper size for it until Thrushcross and Arthur, and neither of them were willing to wear it."

"Why not?"

Arthur stood on his hind legs here, "Well I didn't want any sort of armor weighing me down, I'm more agile than most people, and Thrushy, well he needed easy access to his skin, he was more a mage than a knight."

Riddel gulped at the thought of Thrushcross actually using blood magic. He stepped up and tried on the scale mail, the leggings were snug but the tunic was a bit hefty for him, "This is a tad larger than I'd need."

Benwyn chortled, "Of course it is, it was made for men accustomed to wielding real blades. Not those sissy sabers and rapiers. Give me an hour and I'll have it all fitted to Bruntilda's specifications."

Arthur smiled, "Then while he's customizing this for you, it's about time that we get you accustomed to your new weapons. Take those sabers and rapier there, and meet me in the field behind the house, and bring your new pet with you."

The dragon, who had been following Daniel the whole time, lighted on his shoulder and cheeped happily.

With great caution, Daniel followed the cat as it padded toward the field. The little lizard made a low warbling sound and fluttered into the air, dancing in and out around the young nobleman's head. It sounded like a warning, almost, and it made Daniel's stomach turn sour. With a great leap, Arthur launched himself into the air. There was a pale shimmer of light and then a thin, pale man stood dressed in black before him. Taken aback, Daniel studied him nervously. Arthur was whiplash thin, with a sharp blade of a nose and high cheek bones set off by large green eyes. There was a cruel edge to his mouth, only slightly softened with humor.

Arthur stretched out his long limbs, bending and twisting with a chuckle. "I do enjoy my stealthy little body, but it's so rare I get to get out and play." He gave a raspy laugh, that sounded something like a purr. "Sunlight does do my heart good. Now, boy, pick up your sword and show me what you know."

Daniel tentatively brandished his rapier. His feet automatically fell into their place, for even if he didn’t consciously know the steps and positions, his body did. His knees bent, and the weight of his body drifted to the balls of his feet with little effort. Arthur nodded his approval and rushed.

Daniel dipped and swayed, easily batting aside the blows that Arthur sent his way. He twisted and turned, feeling much more sure of himself. This went on for a few minutes until Arthur laughed. It was a mad sound, high and sharp, and it burned in Daniel's ears. There was a flash of green sunlight on the blade, and Daniel stood froze, watching Author dipped and swayed, the sword in his hand throwing dizzying lights into Daniel's eyes. He parried, arms straining at the force with which the cat struck, and winced at the shallow cut of his opponent's weapon on his arm. Arthur smacked Daniel's sword with his own, then against the back on his legs with the flat of the blade.

As he was falling, there was a blur of color, and then he landed on his back with enough of a jolt to shake his very bones.

Arthur continued to laugh.

After a moment Daniel reclaimed himself, standing up and assuming his combat stance again. The light play gave Arthur an advantage over him, but it was knowledge that granted that advantage, it wasn't unfair. He almost called the man a crude cheating brute, but it was not so, he merely used what was available, and what was available was that strange green sun. Knowing this, and understanding the situation, the gentleman stood and faced the cat-man again.

"Again," he stated, prepping his blade.

"Again?" Arthur chuckled as he resumed his own stance, "Yes, again!"

Arthur fell on quickly, now with more assuredness in each swoop. Daniel did all he could to parry the incoming the blows, swiping madly from time to time just to maintain the sword in his hand, and while swiping at the cat's mad blades, his own footing gave ground to the body wearing feline. He was too quick though. Another shallow cut edged into his side, a fierce stab gouged his upper arm, and then he slipped and fell away again.

"Oh my I'm sorry Master Riddel, have I wounded you?" Arthur chuckled more, his excitement at swordplay knew no bounds.

Daniel coughed as he stood, blood now dripping down his arm, "No, I'm quite alright. Please, again."

Arthur leapt without warning now, this time Daniel watched each step, each flash of the blade, and finally, feeling a pattern in the cat's steps, he closed his eyes. Without the distracting flashes of light he was able to deflect the blows more easily, and when he felt a blow coming he could not deflect he leapt, to the left or right depending on where Arthur should have struck. It worked perfectly until he got out of the area he knew. Unfamiliar ground led to unfamiliar steps. Daniel opened his eyes and found himself in the forest, and Arthur was readily leaping about from tree to tree, using the rebounds to position himself more aggressively.

Now in the forest the light was lessened, Daniel fought evenly with his feline counterpart, accounting for angles on the leaps.

The lunge from Daniel's step threw Arthur off balance, it was unexpected, it was new. Riddel jabbed fiercely at the feline fighter and finally drew blood from under his black clothing. Arthur leapt back and slid across the forest floor, digging his feet in hard, the blood trickling down his side warmed his fighting spirit and he rushed at Daniel.

A wall of red separated the two fighters suddenly, bringing a halt to Arthur's rush. Daniel followed the flow of the wall back to the outstretched arm of Thrushcross, smirking brightly at the two.

"I see Mr. Riddel is not nearly as uneducated with a blade as we had initially feared," Thrushcross stated, the blood of the wall drawing back into his arm.

Riddel felt a queasiness overcome him as he watched the blood trickled across the ground back into the man's arms. He held down an urge to vomit and turned away from the sight.

"You quite alright there Master Riddel?" Arthur questioned from behind him.

"I'll be fine," Daniel coughed.

His stomach still churning, Daniel followed a ways back behind Thrushcross and Arthur, who were too far away to be heard clearly, but Arthur was animatedly gesturing at Thrushcross, who nodded and seemed to be thinking deeply about whatever he was being told.

His tiny purple companion, apparently overjoyed at his return, zoomed toward him from across the glen, chirping happily and doing loops in the air. He alighted on Daniel's shoulder and rubbed his smooth cheek against his master's neck, making a low crooning noise. Daniel smiled faintly, and wrapped his hand around the tiny body, holding it close to his chest. While Thrushcross and Arthur had wandered over to Benwyn, Daniel leaned against the side of the house, sliding down into the grass.

He was worn out, but pleasantly so, if that possibly. He rubbed his thumb on the dragon's head, smiling faintly as it seemed to purr and close its eyes in bliss. "Now, little thing, what am I to call you?"

The little critter leapt up out of his arms and flew off in a different direction through the woods. Daniel frantically looked back and forth between the little dragon flying away from him, and his comrades slowly getting further away, and finally he turned off their path and chased after the flying lizard.

It led him quite some way, separating him from Arthur and Thrushcross by some great distances, before finally stopping and resting on a rock by a lake. Daniel stared at the little creature for a moment, and then followed its gaze down into the water. There, under the water there appeared to be a gleaming saber. He stared at it for a moment more before the dragon stood leapt up and pointed its tail down into the water, chirping at Daniel frantically.

Riddel stared at the animal for a moment, then back at the sword, quite confused at what to do. Finally the dragon growled and pointed down again, and after just a moment of consideration Daniel stripped off his shoes and dove head first into the water. The lake seemed much deeper than he had originally thought. As he dove deeper with each stroke of his arms he found the sword just barely out of reach. A final stroke left him without air and he gasped in water as he grasped the handle of the sword and swam for the top rapidly.

Fresh air hit his lungs rapidly as he coughed up water. He clamored to the shore where the little dragon lighted on the gleaming saber and cheeped happily. As if it was his own thought a voice called to him in his mind, You should call me Aedon, Daniel, and I shall help you in your quest.

"Aedon?" Daniel questioned staring intently into the dragon's eyes.

Daniel sat there on the bank, his hands cupped against his chest. Aedon lighted there, making those strange coos and chirps while it danced in his palms.

The tiny dragon tilted its head to look at him from its reptilian lavender eye. Oh, yes. My soul is bound to this sword. With it, I can speak to you and tell you all the secrets I know of Underland. But in return, you must help me.

Daniel gulped. "Help you?" he whispered. "I can barely help myself, little one, let alone you and all of Underland."

Aedon nuzzled his hand. All I ask is that you carry this sword with you. It allows me to speak to you. it has been far too long since I have had a companion to share my thoughts with. Daniel wasn't sure how, but the tiny dragon managed to give him a wry look. Or something to eat besides bugs. And a scratch on the neck wouldn’t be a terrible thing.

Daniel tiled his head back, squeezing his eyes shut as he digested the information. Then he began to laugh, a real laugh from his belly, that lasted far longer than it should have. "As strange as everything else has been," he gasped as he wiped tears and rivulets of water from his face, "that's the most wonderful, most normal thing I've heard since I arrived. I will keep the sword."

As he stood, he wiped off the seat of his breeches, and slid the sword into the scabbard for his practice blade. Aedon alighted on his shoulder.

"By the way, are you a boy or a girl?

I am very much a lady.

With his purple companion riding along on his shoulder, Riddel pushed back through the forest toward the path they had left off on. After only a moment of walking he encountered Arthur and Thrushcross again.

Arthur leaned around Daniel and examined the blade in his scabbard, then he leapt back and suddenly chunked shred of multi-colored paper in the air above him.

"What is this?" Daniel asked as he watched Arthur strew the paper about.

Arthur smiled, "It's confetti of course!"

Riddel shook his head, "I know what it is, why are you throwing it?"

"You found a sword!"

Thrushcross stepped closer now and pulled the sword from the scabbard, examining the blade up and down.

You should put that back where it belongs, Thrushcross.

"The Dragon?" Thrushcross looked up at Aedon for a second, "It speaks through the sword, how interesting. And I've not seen a sword crafted like this in all my time here in Underland."

It was true, Riddel hadn't taken time to ascertain the sword after escaping the lake, but the hilt and guard were coated in small beautiful jewels that sparkled in the green sunlight. The blade itself glistened like silver and the edge was still fine, as if it had never been used. It was also perfectly balanced, a point made by Thrushcross as he balanced the blade on his index finger.

Without further examination Thrushcross returned the sword to its scabbard and smiled, "It's a fine blade Mr. Riddel, may it serve you well, as I hope the creature bound to it will."

I assure you Daniel I will.

Riddel smiled, he now had a companion he could somewhat get along with, and a few, different, friends who were intent on helping him get home. He trailed along behind the energetic cat man and the solemn lost noble, and felt almost as if this place really could be home. If not for the strange sun, and the fact that everyone here seemed to be mad. And of course the presence of an evil warlock, and the princesses being kidnapped. Then there was also his lack of knowledge regarding the other two kingdoms.

You examine your thoughts very thoroughly Daniel.

"Shush."

Much later at the dinner table, eating some sort of stew and more of that strange bread, Daniel decided it was quite strange to have something -or rather someone- lurking around in his mind all day, but not all together unpleasant. She had refrained from telling him where she had come by the sword or how she had become bonded with it, but she had relayed information about the nearby kingdoms, and the whole of Underland itself. She also had swopped down and bitten the tail of a sleeping Arthur, much to Benwyn's delight.

Now, with his muscles pleasantly sore and his belly full, he sat contented, for the moment, amongst his companions. Aedon ate her own small bowl of strew with gusto, slurping noisily. Arthur, who seemed to prefer his much smaller, furrier form, was curled in front of the wire, watching through half-lidded eyes as Benwyn lazily blew smoke into the air while smoking his pipe. Bruntilda had been working on Daniel's armor for the better part of the day, carefully adjusting seems and scales to fit Daniel like a second skin.

Seeing as they had no boots, it had been decided that they would go to the nearest town in the morning to purchase a pair, along with some other things, which at once filled the young noble with excitement and dread. Aedon had not seemed very thrilled by the idea, but according to Benwyn, that was not very strange. Dragons were wild creatures, after all.

"Thrushcross where do you live?" Daniel suddenly asked, the thought only occurred to him as he noticed the man slurping at his stew.

"Between here and the town of Bedlam," Thrushcross stated, "Perhaps we could swing by there tomorrow on our way to pick up your boots and provisions."

The idea of visiting the house of this ex-noble both intrigued and disturbed Daniel. On the one-hand this would allow him some insight into the way Thrushcross had grown accustomed to this place. On the other, this man was a blood mage and a scientist: there was no telling what sorts of things would be in his home.

It's quite alright Daniel, Aedon's voice echoed in his mind, I believe visiting Mr. Thrushcross's home could be quite relaxing.

"It sounds like an excellent outing, Mr. Thrushcross."

Trushcross smiled and stood from the table, "Excellent, I shall expect you on the morrow then, I'll have Lolita clean up a bit."

With this decided, Thrushcross finished his meal and bid them all goodbye. Daniel was faintly pleased with the comfortable noises of his hosts cleaning their supper away. He leaned his chair back, smiling at Bruntilda who gave him a rough pat on his shoulder.

"We'll toughen ye up afore it's all over," she said, reaching around him to clear his empty dishes from the table. He handed her Aedon's dish and stood. "Won't be hard. Yer a good boy."

If you were a dog, your tail would be wagging most furiously.

Daniel snorted and made his way to Benwyn who gestured for him to unsheathe his weapon. Daniel glanced down at Aedon who had taken her customary place on his shoulder. She blinked her pale eyes. Well, go on. Don't be rude.

The young noble obediently gave the sword over to the smith, hilt first. Aedon, he thought, can you still hear me when I don’t have the sword?

It's much more complicated than that. I can speak to you while the sword is not on your person, because it is understood that the sword belongs to you. However, should the sword be taken and ownership falls to another, then our communication would cease. I realize that ownership is a fluid concept, but it’s the best explanation I have been able to come up with thus far.

Daniel shook his head, watching the way Benwyn measured the sword carefully. He said he was planning to make a scabbard for it, one as fine as the sword itself. They would be picking up the leather for it tomorrow. Is there any way around that?

There was a long pause. Daniel waited tensely, suddenly worried. Aedon?

There is a way. I had not intended to bring it up so soon, but it seems you are destined to move your life ahead at an alarming pace. The tiny dragon gave a quick beat of its wings, and there it hovered in the air for a moment. Come with me.

Daniel scrambled to his feet, throwing a hasty excuse over his shoulder as he ducked out. Aedon, wait!

An exasperated sigh reverberated around his skull, but slow down she did.

"Where are we going?" Daniel called after the little dragon.

Aedon flapped slower, allowing Daniel to catch up and then meet her pace, We're going to discuss this situation with our bond.

Well why couldn't we just discuss it at Benwyn's? Daniel retorted, After all my mind is the most private place we have.

Aedon simply flapped along, leading Riddel through the forest to an unknown endpoint. She whispered soothing reassurances through his mind as the ran along, until finally she came to rest in the center of a hollowed out rock.

We can talk here.

"Fine. So there is a way to make the bond more permanent than ownership of the sword?"

Yes, but Daniel, if you return to your world, I would still be bound to you, all the magic I possess would be lost.

Daniel pondered this for a second, "You are a magical creature though."

Precisely, she cooed quietly, Daniel if I am without magic, I would cease to be.

Riddel frowned, he hadn't considered this. To have this companion with him throughout his venture in Underland would be wonderful, but having to kill her to return to England, that was not a fair trade. He scratched her neck gently and looked down her.

"Are you certain?"

Her wings shuddered, but her lavender eyes did not waver. I was not always thus. And while this form is pleasing enough, I am old, much older than this body can tell you. I am tired and it would be very good to pass doing something good for another. For a friend.

"You have known me all of a day." Daniel whispered, his heart pounding hard within his breast.

That matters far less than you can imagine.

With his newest friend cradled in his hands, Daniel dropped to his knees, not minding the rough bite of stone against his trousers. "I couldn't possibly do that to you, Aedon. It would not be right. As a gentleman-"

You are not a gentleman here, Daniel. I am terrified that you do not see the gravity of your situation. You are fighting for your life, for everything. The fate of this world, and your place in your own, are in mortal peril. I am offering you the most powerful gift I can give, in exchange for nothing but your company.

For the first time in a long while, Daniel felt the sting of tears.

Do not cry for me, young Riddel, Aedon's voice echoed as she stretched her wings, It's no terrible thing to die for a noble cause, and who knows, perhaps my understanding of your world and my condition is not so full, perhaps your returning to England would not kill me.

Daniel could not speak, and his thoughts were so overrun with fear and grief that not even the most powerful beings could make sense of them. Aedon reached out to him again with her thoughts

I will accompany you where ever it is necessary, Aedon stated, Do not be bothered by the consequences thereafter.

Riddel nodded and clenched the dragon in his arms.

Now, let's get back to Benwyn's. I would very much like to get some sleep.

The sun of Underland was rapidly dropping, Daniel stood in agreement with the dragon and began the trek back to Benwyn's home. As he walked with Aedon a thought occurred to him.

"You said there was a way to avoid the ownership issue."

There is.

"What is it?"

A promise.

Daniel grunted. "And if we were to bond, what would we have to do?"

It is very simple. It would hurt a little, but simple, nonetheless.

As they approached the warm glow of Benwyn's home, Daniel hesitated. "And what would happen if we bonded?"

As for that, I'm not sure, entirely. I've never bonded with anyone before. Things would be different for you, though. There was a long pause where Daniel could practically see the gears turning into her little reptilian head. And for me as well. Our power would grow together through our union.

Daniel nodded to himself and ducked inside the warmth of the house.



Much later on, in the quiet of the night, Daniel stared at the ceiling above his borrowed bed. Aedon was curled on his belly, drifting in and out of sleep. He followed her thoughts as she floated through her half-conscious dreams. "Aedon?" he whispered.

She made a sleepy sound and opened her eyes into a slit. Yes?

"Let's do it."



Daniel looked down at her, and those pale purple eyes seemed to glow, almost like the moon it seemed. You're sure?

He sat up, and placed her on his drawn up knees. "Yes," he said softly. "But we will find a way to make sure you pull through. We can do this."

Her laughter floated through his head. Alright. Give me your hand.

Daniel did, staring down at in intently. She rose up on her back legs, keeping her balance with light flaps of her wings. The scale of a different color there. Do you see it?

Daniel glanced up at her face, then leaned forward, struggling to see in Underland's dim darkness. After his eyes adjusted, he could faintly see a scale, much smaller and slightly paler than the other. He touched it gently with his fingertip. "This one?"

Yes. Take the dagger Benwyn gave you and pry it out. Stop worrying. You won't hurt me. A new scale, just like the others, will grow in its place.

Daniel swallowed and did as he was bade, gently prying the shimmering scale from her breast. It looked very small in his hand. "What now?

he asked hoarsely.

You need the sword. Hurry.

The young noble scrambled from the bed, then clamored back, his breath hitching in his chest. "Now what?"

Aedon looked down for a moment, and Daniel couldn’t see past the walls she had erected in her mind to know what she was thinking. He leaned forward and gingerly touched the top of her head. "Aedon? We don’t have to do this. Not if you don’t want to."

It's already begun. I'm sorry, Daniel. I am very happy. I have been waiting for this for a long time. I am just … overwhelmed. She shook her tiny head. But I am ready. You need to make a small cut on the back of your sword hand. With the sword. I realize that will be awkward; I don’t think the Fates really thought this process through. It doesn’t have to be large or deep. Just a small cut.

With her help, Daniel managed to make a miniscule cut on the back of his hand. It bled quite a bit, and for a moment, he considered flinging the whole mess away. This was blood magic with a willing participant, but blood magic nonetheless. Yet, when he looked at his tiny friend, his heart twisted ever so slightly. He couldn’t leave her alone. If she wanted this, then he could give it to her. "Now what do I do, Aedon?"

Take the scale and hold it to the cut. Don’t be frightened. It will only hurt for a moment. She placed a tiny clawed foot on his hand and looked up at him.

Daniel nodded and took a great breath, then held the tiny scale against the cut. At first, nothing happened and he almost breathed a sigh of relief. Then, deep in his belly, somewhere behind his navel there was a strange sensation, something like ants crawling around on his insides. He sent a worried glance to Aedon, who just looked back at him with her great moon eyes. His gut twisted and there was a terrible pain, and he doubled over, locking eyes with her. His hand was throbbing and everything was spinning in the room except for Aedon and her pale eyes seemed to fill all of his vision. He wasn’t sure if it was real, but those pale lavender eyes seemed to glow. He felt sick and suddenly there was a great pain on the back of his hand. He screamed, but there was no sound except the wind rushing in his ears. He lifted his hand and felt his whole body go cold. Ribbons of the brightest red seemed to be swirling from the wound in his hand, twisting and writhing over the bright glowing scale.

After the throbbing, there was suddenly a white hot pain that exploded all along his arm. He threw his head back, screaming his agony at the ceiling. Yet no one came, and through all the pain Aedon's quiet voice brushed against the edges of his mind, not quite words, but gentle coos and nonsense words he couldn’t identify. But it quelled the storm inside of him. He focused on her voice until the pain became a numbness. Gradually his muscles lost their tenseness, and he slowly released the breath he'd been holding for so long. As he dropped back against the pillow, he decided distantly that he felt something like a bowstring that had been held taut for far too long and suddenly released. It was his last thought before sleep claimed him completely.

© Copyright 2013 C. W. Sherman (csher002 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1941347-Underland-Chapter-2