*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1942845-Underland-Chapter-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Chapter · Fantasy · #1942845
Welcome home! Daniel and Aedon explore the extents of their new powers.
The fields of the Riddel manor were a warm embrace of home. Daniel's horse trotted along the garden paths slowly, allowing its rider a full view of all his grounds as it made its rounds. It neighed happily as Daniel ushered it through the usual motions, an animal companion for days that society escaped him.

Daniel, a voice creaked into Riddel's mind. It seemed almost to come from the horse, Daniel wake up.



The dream broke apart near instantly at the call of Aedon, Daniel blinked his eyes open groggily. He looked around slowly and found himself in the now growing familiar room of the Bronzebottom household. The little spare bedroom seemed more stuffy than usual, he soon found why as he turned his head to the left and met the gaze of Aedon. She was lying on the floor, but now she stood nearly 5 feet tall and she was at least 9 feet long. Daniel jumped at the sight of her and rolled out of bed with a great thud as his body collided with the floor.

Daniel I appear to have grown.

"That you have," Riddel said as he stood and rubbed his head, "That you have. What happened Aedon?"

I don't know, it appears to have happened over night.

"Due to our pact?"

Aedon nodded, Perhaps, it is a new practice, I told you I had no idea what it entailed.

Daniel frowned, looking around the room he found that the dragon was slightly larger than the doorway or the window, "Can you change back?"

I believe so, but it would require quite a bit of concentration.

"Well let's give it a try."

She nodded, being very careful to keep her wings close to her sides. He felt the ridiculous urge to laugh at this huge creature in a tiny dwarven bedroom, trying desperately not to scrap her head on the ceiling. I think that I can do this. Her large eyes closed very tightly and Daniel watched in astonishment as a shimmer of pale light began around her nose and quickly engulfed her. Within a moment, she was tiny again.

"That's amazing, Aedon," he said in wonder, opening his hands so she could land in them. He looked down at her, smiling broadly. "Do you think that's as big as you can get?"

I'm not entirely sure. I suppose I would have to try, but not now. She fluttered in his hand, reptilian eyes bright with excitement. It's quite amazing, really. I feel as if I can do all sorts of things. What about you, Daniel?

He ran a hand roughly through his hair, thinking about it. Did he feel any different? He couldn’t be sure. "Maybe a little steadier. I cannot tell." As if he'd suddenly remembered, he brought his hand up to look at it. Aedon leaned over in interest as well. On the back of his hand was a tiny, tiny scar in a perfect circle, just slightly shinier than his skin. If one wasn’t looking for it, he didn’t think anyone could even tell it was there.

A knock sounded on the door. "Bes' be getting ready. Thrushy'll be here real soon."

Daniel called a response over his shoulder, "I'll be out in a minute, thank you."

"Aye well hurreh i' up," Benwyn grumbled back.

He seems cheerful, Aedon whispered as she creened her neck.

Riddel scratched her neck gently, "Yeah, maybe he likes the idea of going to town as little as you do."

Well maybe he'll just stay here with me.

"You're not going?" Daniel questioned frantically.

Aedon sighed and nuzzled his hand, Of course I'm going, but I'm going to stay close to you.

Daniel nodded and marched through the door to the kitchen with Aedon in hand. He smiled to Bruntilda who was busying herself at the stove and knelt and petted Arthur who was slapping at the tail of Bruntilda's cat, Chess. Riddel marched right through the house to the living area where Benwyn was seated, smoking his pipe and blowing smoke rings through the air. Thrushcross was seated next to the dwarf, a pipe in hand as well, but doing none of the dwarf's fancy smoke art.

"Are you ready, Mr. Riddel?" Thrushcross questioned the staring nobleman.

Benwyn grunted, "He orta be, the lad slept all night."

Daniel nodded, "I'm ready."

Thrushcross stood with a flourish, causing his pipe to disappear, "Good, let's set out then. Bedlam is a good hour's walk from here and unfortunately I only have a horse for myself and a single pony for Lolita, Benwyn could ride the pony but then you would still be without a mount."

"I wouldn't be so certain of that," Daniel answered Thrushcross.

Thrushcross raised his eyebrows. "Oh?"

Daniel grinned, albeit nervously. "Come on, I'll show you." He smiled down at Aedon, who was preening on his shoulder. He waited for a moment, then turned to the front door of the cottage. The others trailed behind him with bemused expressions, stopping when Daniel paused in the middle of their field.

Somewhat breathless, he grinned at them over his shoulder. "Give me just a moment." Looking down at Aedon, who had slid down into his hands, he gave her a hopeful look. With a squeak, she launched herself into the air. There was that flash of shimmering light, and there she stood, as tall and straight as any horse. She tossed her head and snorted, and tiny flame spurted from her nose.

Daniel turned to his friends, grinning wildly. However, the expressions there were slightly different than he'd expected. Instead of awe and joy, there seemed to be fear on each face, Bruntilda's especially. She back up a few steps, her mouth open in the mindless gape of shock. "What," demanded Daniel, ire leaching into his voice, "is the matter?"

Benwyn shook his head and wiped a rough hand on grizzled copper colored beard. "Just… no one's seen a dragon tha' size in … well, boy, a ver' long time. It might be … er… somethin' o' a shock ta show up in Bedlam on a great bloody purple dragon!"

Daniel frowned, "I thought you said you had seen dragons before."

"Aye well I've seen'em yes," Benwyn replied, "Bu' they've been either small, or painted."

Thrushcross seemed thoroughly unscared, the English ex-noble seemed the least astounded by the supernatural creature. He stepped up and stroked Aedon's neck and nodded to Daniel.

"A fine beast she is," he stated, "Fine indeed. Not seen a dragon rider since the prince died though."

Arthur sprinted up to the dragon and leapt up onto her head, intrigued by the massive lizard. Aedon quivered and leaned her head back, allowing Arthur to slide down her neck onto her back. Daniel they are terrified and intrigued.

"I know, it's okay Aedon," Riddel turned to Benwyn, "You don't think anyone would try to hurt her do you?"

"Nay," Benwyn replied stoutly, "They'd be too worried of her hur'in them."

"When di' she get to be li'e tha'?" Bruntilda asked as she cautiously approached Aedon.

Daniel looked back at Aedon for a second then gave the simplest answer he could, "She just figured out how to do it overnight."

Aedon snorted, We found out how to do it.

"Right we found out how to do it."

Thrushcross whistled and a horse and pony came through the woods up to them, "Well let's the all of us get on over to my home, we'll meet up with Lolita and figure out what exactly we need. Please Bruntilda, Benwyn, you may take my horse and pony."

Daniel looked at Aedon nervously. "You're sure it's alright? I won't hurt you? I'm not too heavy, am I? I really could walk-"

Quiet. You know very well that you weigh next to nothing. Come on. I want to try this out as badly as you do.

He grinned nervously, rubbing his hand appreciatively against her long and elegant neck. "All right. Here goes." He was about to lift a long leg and leap over her back when he was struck on the back with something hard. He turned quickly, and would have fallen if Aedon has not quickly supported him with her neck.

Bruntilda was furiously shaking her head. "Nay, boy. Ye'll need a saddle, or them scales'll cut yer legs up but good." She held out to him a large saddle, much bigger than one made for an ordinary England horse. "Was made for the war dragons back afore his Highness died. Don' know why Benwyn kept it, but it'll serve ye well. Put this blanket on under 'er, too."

Daniel soon figured out all of the straps and buckles, as they weren't much different from that of those that belonged to his stable, back home, though this was on a much larger scale. He was very glad he had insisted on learning to saddle his own horse, unlike most of his friends back home. Aedon was continuously rolling her large eyes at this injustice, but she endured, and somehow between the two of them, they managed to make it fit. Daniel mounted easily, astounded at how different the movement was there on the ground. He'd finally realized that the extra straps on the sides of the saddle were designed to keep him seated should is mount take flight, and he'd been most grateful for Benwyn and Bruntilda's help getting them situated.

Within the hour, they were off.

It took little effort for Aedon to get off the ground but at once it took all of Daniel's effort to keep his stomach in his body. The feelings that came with flying hadn't quite crossed his mind as he was mounting the dragon, he just thought it was amazing that he could ride on such a creature. Now, with his feet so far from the ground, and his stomach in his throat, he was giving it a second thought.

Don't concentrate so much on the flying itself, try to focus on the experience.

Daniel opened his mouth to speak but found that the rapidly flowing air was too much for his speech, What do you mean the experience?

Aedon swooped down slightly, forcing air over Daniel's head, Just feel the wind in hair or something.

Not that easy when you're feeling your stomach in your throat.

Aedon swooped again, this time diving toward the trees, she felt Daniel tense up and then at the last second she pulled off of the tree tops. For a moment Daniel was tense, then he calmed, he even chuckled, and then burst out laughing.

There now, better?

You, my little dragon friend, are insane. Daniel shoved his thoughts at her as he chuckled, That was amazing.

Precisely.

Smoke puffed past them and they both looked down at a large cottage in the forest, a good deal more grand than the Bronzebottoms' residence, where a horse and a pony were stabled. They could see Benwyn and Bruntilda making their way to the front door with Thrushcross and Arthur in tow.

Let's put down, Daniel suggested, and reluctantly, Aedon settled herself in the front yard.

Aedon beat her wings in the air to slow her decent, then landed gracefully with a small spurt of flame. Show off, he thought affectionately. She snorted and then bent her knees to let him slide down.

Thrushcross clapped. "Now, please do come inside. I'd like you to meet Lolita."

Aedon's light shown for a brief moment then engulfed her again, reducing her back to her original size. She flew up and mounted Daniel's shoulder and the two proceeded inside following behind Thrushcross. The ex-nobleman held the door open and waved his comrades inside, where they found an extensiv hallway, terminating in the dining area, a room devoid of life but covered in fineries. Beyond that there was a kitchen on the northern wall on the left, and on the right was a storage room. Branching off the dining room to the left was an expansive living area, and on the right was Thrushcross's library.

"Everyone has gathered in the library."

With that utterance Thrushcross shut the door and Daniel and Aedon down the hall into the dining room and to the right toward the library. Inside Daniel found Benwyn once again seated in a chair smoking his pipe. Arthur had assumed his human form and was conversing with a young woman about his height wearing a short black skirt and top in the corner. Bruntilda was rapidly clearing away dozens of books left open and out of place.

"Please go on over and introduce yourself to Lolita," Thrushcross stated as he picked up a book from Bruntilda's stack and opened it.

Daniel approached the conversation of Arthur and Lolita slowly, looking the youthful figure up and down. She was ghastly thin and her skin was a ghostly pale white, near the coloration of a pearl. Her eyes were lined in black and her extremeties were covered with black skin fitting cloth. The black was a very fine contrast to her pale skin, it almost made her beautiful.

"Hello Mr. Riddel," she greeted him, holding out her hand.

Daniel reached down and took the hand with a kiss, "Miss Lolita?"

She smiled, "That's what I've come to be called, regardless of birth name."

"Are you any relation to Mr. Thrushcross?"

This question brought on a blush and a smirk, "Not directly no."

"Then to Arthur here?"

Arthur butted in at this point, "Hardly but she does-"

Lolita pushed a finger to his lips, "Do housekeeping around the house, for my keep."

Daniel looked around at the numerous stacks of open and half-shut books across the library, "You seem to be falling short in here."

"Neh," Lolita pointed at Thrushcross here, "Mr. Thrushcross doesn't like to lose his place."

She was taking, but based on that thought and the position she was in Riddel was under the assumption that she was also taken. So he let be his free thoughts, which Aedon saw no error in interjecting her own thoughts upon. He did continue to look her up and down though, as did Arthur.

"Is that a dragon," she suddenly asked, pressing her voice into Daniel's thoughts.

"Uh- why yes. She is."

"May I hold her?"

Daniel looked down at Aedon and heard her sigh and then watched as she flopped into Lolita's outstretched arms.

"Oh my god you're so cute!" Lolita exclaimed as she rubbed at Aedon's neck and stroked her back.

"Mr. Riddel," Thrushcross called to Daniel behind him, "Come here please."

Daniel looked down at Aedon, who nodded and nudged her nose at him. Daniel turned and walked toward the two seated men and planted himself across from them.

Thrushcross offered him a glass and a pipe and Daniel happily took the glass and drank down the dark liquid inside. He coughed slightly at the bitter taste and Thrushcross smiled, "Benwyn suggests we pick up some food while we're in town."

"Wanted to kno' if ye wanted anehthin' specific," Benwyn tacked on.

Daniel thought about it for a moment then Aedon in his mind, Beef, some kind of meat. Steak maybe. Or some pork?

"Steaks would be lovely," Daniel replied to Benwyn.

"Steaks he says," Thrushcross fired back, "Some fine cut of meat no doubt, a proper English gentleman, living out here with you Dwarves I'd nearly forgotten my roots, some finely cooked steak strips, or perhaps some fresh fish would be excellent Benwyn."

"Ah dunnu see whah a leg o' lamb wouldna suffice."

Thrushcross chuckled and shook his head, "Come now Benwyn, a fine cut of meat would do you some good too."

Daniel, at the advice of his peers, did not ride into town on Aedon's back. Once the city walls were just in sight, he has dismounted and now he strolled along side the slow moving pony at a leisurely pace. It was a lovely day, with a bright sky and warm breezes. Aedon had found she could shrink to an even smaller size, and now she swung in the pocked of his waist coat, half asleep. He patted her absentmindedly as he examined his surroundings. It didn’t seem any different than any other little village back home, at least the outside any way. There were a few little cottages here and there, and long fields of what may or may not have been wheat, though it was decidedly orange instead of -well, wheat colored. Thrushcross and the dwarves were received warmly, and though they greeted Daniel as enthusiastically, there seemed to be a slight reserve in their faces.

At first this bothered him, but upon entering town gate of Bedlam, Daniel was immediately distracted. It was a whirl of colors and sounds, with bright little shops for food and clothes and everything he could imagine. The actual town square was packed to the brim with people in all manner of dress, anywhere from fantastic ball gowns to sedate robes. Daniel felt his neck might twist right off from trying to look at everything all at once.

Aedon seemed particularly interested in the minstrels who had set up in front of central fountain. She poked her head out and cooed prettily, then withdrew into her warm pocked for another nap. Daniel started when he felt a hand slap against his shoulder. He looked down at Benwyn.

"Come along, boy. Time to go a-huntin' fer them boots."

Daniel followed closely behind Benwyn who weaved in and out of the crowds of people quickly, occasionally barging his way through tight groups, to whom Daniel would always promptly apologize too. They passed by several shops, a good numer selling clothes, a dozen of which were selling boots, unil finally Benwyn stopped in front of a small shack with belts and boots on display in a small window. Upon opening the door they were surrounded by the smell of warm leather and the sights of hundreds of other boots and belts hanging on hooks and laying in random stacks. A voice from the back hallooed as a dwarf, stouter than Benwyn with a shorter beard and less hair, rounded the corner of the doorway. He stopped short upon seeing Benwyn and grew red faced. Bronzebottom stared back at the stocky dwarf, then charged at him full speed.

The two embraced in a cheerful chuckle and the stockier dwarf picked Benwyn up and dropped him quickly.

"Benwyn ol' boy, it's been a while," the Dwarf bellowed.

"Not long enough old friend," chuckled Benwyn.

"Neh, not long enough."

"Ah, you're a scrub, ye are," said Benwyn affectionately, slapping the other dwarf on the arm. Daniel rather thought the soft blow might've broken a lesser man's arm. Perhaps his own. He swallowed and forced a smile.

Dwarves are rather rough creatures, aren't they? Aedon mused from his pocked, adjusting her tail into a more comfortable position. But I do like Benwyn and Bruntilda.

Benwyn waved him over and patted his on his back, much more gently than he had done before. "Arick, this be Daniel. We be looking for some boots to fit 'tem dainty feets. Can ye help?"

Arick grunted, staring hard at Daniel's feet, which he shuffled uncomfortably. "I reckon we can do sometin' wiff em. I make Thrushy's shoes still. Dis one gots smaller hoofs, though. Stronger legs, though, sure enough, yessir, sure enough."

"Ye be lookin' at his legs qui'e a bi'," Benwyn inserted, "You re'on you can do anehthin' wi'em?"

"I thought we be wor'in with his hooves?"

"Sher, bu' wha' o' his legs?"

Arick stared at Benwyn for a moment, then they both chuckled heartily. Arick suddenly stopped and stared back at Daniel again, "I thought we be wor'in with his hooves?"

Benwyn balled up his fist and slammed it on top of Arick's head. "We be workin' wit' both, ye sod." He then patted the ruffled hair. "Ye'll do great work."

Arick beamed. "I'll get me stuff." He then turned and raced into a back room. Daniel winced at the load sound of what might have been pots tumbling to the ground, then snapped his head to look at Benwyn in alarm at the sound of squawking chickens. "Uh, Benwyn-"

"Poor spratling," Benwyn sighed. "Worked in the stables at the king's court in his yout' and their blame old donkey knocked him right in the head; addled that poor brain o' his but good." He grumbled and adjusted his breeches, then smoothed his copper colored beard over his belly. "But, he's a genius with dat leather of his. Soft as butter, hard as iron. "

"Butter iron?" muttered Daniel crossly, seating himself on a saddle that had been placed upon a stool.

Arick came back after a few minutes with a series of tools that Daniel could only assume were for measuring. And measure was exactly what he did, the same areas several times over on occasion, but by the time he was done Arick knew every inch of Daniel's foot, quite literally. He stopped and stared up at Daniel for a moment, then resumed to measuring his toes.

"Eh Arick, I thin' ye've alrea'y measured them," Benwyn stuttered, watching the dwarf trace of Daniel's toes for the fourth time.

"Aye?" Arick stared up at Benwyn, "Well perhaps I 'ave. 'Ere, let's ge' ye suited up then, Ah'll be back in just a minute with a pair that should fit just perfect.

With that Arick turned and left, proceeding into the back again and making just as much noise as he had before. There were some grumbles from the back room, followed by the wild crowing of chickens.

"What is he doing back there?" Daniel asked, staring at Benwyn with concern.

"Looking for a proper fit and adjusting them to match your feet just so," Benwyn smiled and looked around the shop, "I hope."

"You hope?!" wheezed Daniel, doing his best to stuff his feet back into his rather uncomfortable shoes. "What if he leaves a needle or something in it? You expect me to fight warlocks and God knows what else with needle feet?!" he whispered fiercely through his teeth, flashing an awkward smile at Arick, who had suddenly popped out from the back room.

"Oi! I gots the base of the soul ready fer yer, Benny, but it will take me a piece to make it up ter par. Ya'll head o'er to the tavern till 4:33 and a half! Ma treat." With this, he tossed out two shiny gold coins, which Benwyn caught.

"Be back in a tick, Arick," he said, then stood. He handed one of the coins to Daniel, who looked at it in amazement, then puzzlement when it seemed to shift in his hand.

As they exited the shop, he turned it over in his hands, examining it closely. When he pressed on it too hard, he stared down at it and sighed. "It's chocolate, isn't it."

Benwyn chuckled and headed back to the square.

"Are we sure about this Arick?" Daniel questioned as they met back up with Thrushcross at the town square.

Thrushcross chuckled, "Benwyn took you to Arick? You're in excellent hands then Mr. Riddel."

"Quite right," Benwyn responded, "Despite his oddities, Arick is the finest leather worker in Underland."

Daniel nodded, Don't worry about it Daniel, I have a good feeling about this.

Thrushcross removed a sack from his shoulder and hooked it over Daniel's. It was heavy, and its contents appeared to consist primarily of books and assorted scrolls.

"For my personal library and your personal gain," Thrushcross stated, "And this one has the food in it."

Daniel grunted, "Couldn't I carry the food?"

"Neh, ye need t' strengthen them shoulder muscles a bi'."

Shoulder muscles, Daniel wasn't certain that was what Benwyn was looking for.

Bother, he thought grimly as he trudged behind them, the heavy sack keeping him perpetually tilted to one side .

Aedon lightly nipped the hand in his pocket. Don't whine. It's not becoming of a man of your station.

Daniel grunted. I'm hardly a man of station here. All that is back in England. He sucked in his breath as he edged around a cart that had had backed precariously close to the wall of the town. At least some things don’t change. Everything in a town still smells of horse dung and rubbish. I just wish I knew what their plans are for me. I don’t even really know what a warlock does, much less how to defeat one.

Aedon snuggled against his side, humming happily. You'll do fine. Benwyn and Thrushcross are not going to thrust a sword in your hand and shove you into the arena. They're trying to prepare you as best they can. You will need to know how to deflect spells, how to see through his illusions, how to battle him even with all of his unfair advantages. Be grateful.

But, Aedon… I know that they want the warlock dead for their own reasons. I just happened to be here and suit their purpose. How am I, an unfortunate dandy who had the bad luck to end up here, supposed to defeat a warlock no one else here can? Anxiety gnawed at him, and he knew Aedon could feel it, but he didn’t care. He had so little control over his life at the moment, he was sure his head might explode from worry. It really was a do or die situation. He could give up and live out his days in the mad house of a world, or he could fight the warlock and see where that left him. Yet, even then, there was no guarantee that he could get home.

Aedon made a soft sound and some of the tension immediately flowed from his shoulder. He felt Aedon's consciousness curl around his brain, as real and intangible as smoke. As strange as it felt, it was comforting, like an embrace from a dear and treasured friend. There was a warmth in pit of his belly, like he'd drunk hot cocoa on a warm day. Tears stung the back of his eyes and he swallowed hard.

"Oh, Aedon," he whispered.

You will do fine, Daniel, I told you I would assist you in anyway I can. We are bound.

"One week," came Thrushcross's voice from ahead, he was still chatting with Benwyn, "If he's not ready in one week he'll never be ready."

Benwyn snorted, "Magic deflection and swordplay mastery in one week? Ye and Arthur are no' tha' great of trainers."

"Well we'll have to be," Thrushcross stated bluntly, "Her birthday is coming up."

"I be aware of this," Benwyn stated glumly, "Can we really send the boy in like this."

Thrushcross whispered now, a sadness in his voice, yet somehow Daniel could hear every word, "He won't be going alone."

A little reassurance rested on his mind hearing these words from Thrushcross. Though why it was being kept from him he couldn't be sure. The sad undertones of Thrushcross's speech also threw Daniel off, not certain of what Thrushcross' involvement might entail. Ultimately though it was good to know that he wouldn't be going alone.

You never would have been alone Daniel, I am coming too.

Daniel smiled, Of course.

They stopped outside of Arick's shop and Daniel closed the short gap between them, staring through the doorway at the dwarf sitting patiently behind the counter. He turned to Benwyn in confusion.

"I thought he said he wouldn't be ready until 4:30?"

"Aye, that he did," Benwyn chortled, "But he also gave us chocola' coins for drink."

Daniel thought longingly for a moment of the warm smokiness of a good tavern, and how well a game of cards would suit him at the moment. Perhaps a pie as well. His stomach grumbled. Benwyn opened the door and the cheery jingle of the bell above the door jarred him from his sweet, pie-filled reverie. Blinking in the sudden dimness of the dusty little shop, he heard the clatter as Arick raced forward, his little black eyes gleaming with happiness. "Boots is done, yessir!!" he chortled. "Fooled yas!"

Benwyn chuckled. "Yes, you fooled me good, Arick. How much do I owe ye for the boots?"

Arick bounced on the balls of his feet. "I'll give 'em to ye, if Bruntilda will make me a brumble berry pie 'night for me supper." He grinned and Daniel inwardly groaned.

Benwyn thrust his hand out. "'s a deal!"

Without any stipulations or other binding requirements, Arick handed Benwyn the boots and they were off.

"I don't think it should be that simple," Daniel stated as they exited the village gate, "There was nothing binding there."

"A man is only as good as his word, Mr. Riddel," Benwyn responded.

Pondering that, Daniel trailed behind them, watching the green light fade over the fields. There was a weird warmth to the evening here, hot and damp. He carried the books without complaint, even as the others rode ahead of him, all the way to Thrusscross' house. Thrushcross did not let them into the house this time. He merely took another, smaller sack, filled it with books he seemed to think were relevant, then dumped them back into Daniel's waiting arms.

Once Thrushcross was safely tucked away in his home, Daniel let Aedon out of his pocked. She shook herself all over and stretched her long body all over the pathway, gently ruffling Daniel's hair with her warm breath as she paced beside him.

Pockets are comfortable, but very cramped after a while.

Her expression teasing, she reached her long neck around Daniel to gently tug on Benwyn's copper colored hair. The dwarf threw a look over his shoulder and grumbled under his breath. There was a long pause when suddenly Bruntilda stopped.

Aside from her being a presence, Daniel had rarely heard her speak, but when she turned around, he looked at her face in a way he had not looked before.

Her face was hard like Benwyn's, seemingly carved from stone. Yet it was just a bit softer, and the look in her whiskey colored eyes was tender. "Boy, ye'll have a hard way of it. Ye may not survive this ordeal, but I hope ye do. Supper will be ready at half past 7. Take some time for yeself and decide-

Benwyn's face turned red. "Bruntilda-"

She whirled on him, braid flying and eyes flashing. "Ye shut yer mouth, Benwyn Bronzebottom, or I'll shut it er ye! I've let ye and Thrushcross and Art'er lead this boy 'round by his nose for ye own cause, when all he wants is te go home. He's just a lad, and yer trying to send him ter his death when this aint ne'er been his fight!" Nostrils flaring and eyes glinting brightly in the evening light, she turned back to Daniel. "Boy, I want ye to decide if this be what you want to do. True enough, it will probably be yer only chance to go home. Nobody's lied to ye about that. But I like ye, boy. I want ye safe. Tonight it for ye. Give Benwyn those ratty books, and take off for a bit. Fer me, fer yerself. Go on."

Stupefied, Daniel stood in the doorway just staring at Bruntilda until she turned back to the stove. He looked at Benwyn for a moment, who was wearing a half-frown across his face, he seemed to be avoiding Daniel's gaze. Riddel stepped outside, into the warmth of the evening, and wandered off the trail into the forest, with Aedon trailing behind him.

Daniel, she whispered into his mind, he attempted to ignore it, Daniel are you listening to me?

Of course Aedon, he half-smiled, how can I not?

They continued on in silence for a while, Daniel's mind jumping to different points of his journey, both behind him and along the paths ahead. Regardless of Daniel's chosen paths in his mind, his feet continued to tread straight forward, denying the grasps of roots and vines as he walked. Underland wasn't so terrible that he couldn't stay there, though there was no doubt he would very much like to go home. Dreams of home, fantasies of parties, women, drinking with his friends, riding his horses again, Daniel let his mind wander freely for quite some time until his mind leapt back to the warmth of Benwyn's house.

He shook his head, Underland was not home. But it would make for a nice resting place until he could get there. Aedon, I want to go home.

Of course Daniel, and we'll get you there somehow, Aedon didn't let slide the hurt she felt at Daniel's reluctance to accept Underland.

Let's head back, he stated, turning on his heel.

Suddenly a screech broke his whole concentration. He turned to find a massive web stretched across the path, a web he had swung his arm into. He looked around for the source of the screech and found it above himself. A massive spider was descending from above, near twice the size of Aedon. It screeched again as it set its eyes on Daniel.

Twisting, Daniel did his best to reach the sword belted at his side. His right arm was held fast by the sticky, too sweet smelling web. He felt the hilt of the sword with his left hand, fingers fluttering for purchase, then finally gripping it tightly in his sweaty grip. "Spiders. I hate spiders," he said through gritted teeth. Finally, the sword swung free and he sliced at the webbing on his arm. Strips of webbing fell to the dirt, but he was still stuck.

Aedon, burn the webbing!

She snorted, her eyes rolling and she circled the web. I will burn you! I cannot!

JUST DO IT!

Aedon let out a mournful growl and flame, red as cherries spilled from her mouth. Daniel curled into himself, ignoring the heat and the wailing of the spider as it skittered back, far away from the flames that danced along its webbing. Once he felt the sticky strings begin to weaken and dissolve, the young noble flung himself back, tearing free of the webbing.

The sword was instantly in his right hand, and later, he would swear he never remembered moving at all. He flew at the spider, feet barely touching the ground, all the helpless rage and anguish fueled by his situation pumping through him in an incredible rush of emotion. He swung, ignoring the sting of acid the creature spat, disregarding the pain as it ate through his shirt and the flesh underneath.

It was in this moment that something burst inside of Daniel. No organ or blood vessel, but a threshold it seemed. He felt it, more than heard it. There was a soft pop, somewhere near his heart; whether it really existed or not, he could never be sure. Then there was nothing but battle. Aedon recoiled, her consciousness jerked from Daniel's mind like a shot. She shook her head and roared, blood boiling and steam streaming from her nostrils.

Daniel dipped under the spiders long arms, his arms shuddering every time his sword cut out at the spider. It's legs are as hard as iron. I must get to the belly.

Ducking, he hit his knees, sliding neatly under the spider. With one upward thrust, he was coated in a cool, sticky clear liquid. There was a thick, wet noise, and then the spider sagged against the webbing.

Breathing heavily Daniel slid out from under the spider and crawled away from the mess it left behind. He whiped his face on the sleeve of his shirt and looked around. Riddel found Aedon some ways away still snorting heavily. He approached her and rubbed her neck, her voice reached out back into his mind.

What did you do, Daniel?

Daniel frowned, What do you mean?

You rejected me, she huffed, I don't know how, but when you attacked the spider you shut me out.

I didn't mean to, Aedon, Daniel said continuing to rub down her neck and back.

She seemed to smile, I'm sure. Come on, let's get back to Benwyn's.

Daniel nodded and climbed up onto her back. Aedon didn't bother to fly, she simply ran along the forest path back toward the Bronzebottoms' home.

Aedon?

Yes, Daniel?

Daniel thought for a moment, I don't want to break our connection.

It won't be permanent, can't be.

Daniel nodded and let her run on, slowly his mind settled on a more terrifying though, but Aedon soothed him instantly, Your death would be like mine, I won't allow that.

By the time that Daniel stumbled into the doorway, his arm was making a terrible sizzling noise and it throbbed like a someone had stuck a hot poker to his skin. Benwyn said nothing, just looked up in alarm, then moved forward. With Bruntilda's help, he was set up in a chair, and cool water was poured over the burn.

Sighing, Daniel looked woefully at his arm, then at Benwyn. "I supposed I just can't stay away from trouble."

Benwyn's dark eyes glittered angrily in the firelight, his whole body shuddering. "WHAT IN BLOODY HELL DID YOU DO TO GET A MOSS SPIDER TO SPIT ON YE, YE BLOODY FOOL HUMAN?"

Daniel jumped at Benwyn's suddenly booming voice, losing his seat and following over backwards. He groaned and looked around from the floor then slowly lifted his head, "Nothing, I just stumbled into it's web. I didn't even actually get in the web, my arm hit the web."

Benwyn frowned and walked across the kitchen, "You'll need to wrap that up Bruntilda."

"Aye I know what needs to be done, Benwyn," Bruntilda grunted as she poured out the rest of the water and gathered a gauss wrapping.

Daniel sat sullenly as Benwyn studied his arm. The burn had stopped sizzling, and the pain had dulled into a throbbing ache that ran from his shoulder blade to the tips of his fingers. Bruntilda had disappeared into her garden for a few minutes, but now entered the house again, looking quite grave.

She held a handful of plants, with long, thick leaves the color of ripe apples. These she broke, then rubbed the stems directly on the burn. Almost instantly it relieved the pain in his arm. Sighing, he looked up at Bruntilda in gratitude. She walked to her basin and washed and cut up the other stems, mashing them into a thick red tinted paste. She picked up a frond and waved it at him. "Numb weed. Workin' around a forge, ye have to have it. Fortunately, also works as an antiseptic and is perfec' for moss spider bites. Benwyn, you scrub that clean while the numbness lasts. I'll make his poultice and we'll wrap him up."

Benwyn nodded and roughly began to clean the blood and dirt away from the wound.

After another fifteen mintues of preparation and cleaning Daniel was, as Bruntilda would have it, "well ta'en care of." Dinner was served and Daniel ate solemnly amongst the two dwarfs, who chatted back and forth while thy ate. Aedon sat by the table, eating with Arthur and Chess, who were both also silent. After finishing their meals Bruntilda set to work cleaning the dishes and Benwyn proceeded to the living area, where he sat and smoked. Daniel stood up and walked over to the sink and picked up a dish, trying to help Bruntilda with the dishes.

"Tha's qui'e alright lad," she said, taking the clean dish from his hand and rinsing it, "I can deal with th' dishes."

Daniel just continued to wash and pass the plates and bowls. Bruntilda didn't question him further and once they were done she sat down with him at the dinner table.

"Thank you, Bruntilda," Daniel stated with a smile.

"Wha' are ye thanking me for?"

"Making me think about what's going on."

Bruntilda nodded, "You've come to a decision then?"

"Yes," Daniel paused and thought about his response, "I'm going to fight the warlock. Even if I wasn't trying so desperately to get home, it sounds like my friends here also have stakes in our fight, so why wouldn't I fight him. If I intended to stay in Underland, I would still feel it my duty as a gentleman, and a friend, to enter this fray."

"Yer a good boy, Mr. Riddel," Bruntilda smiled, "Yer a good boy."

She stood and patted him on the shoulder as she walked to the living room. Aedon lighted on the table before Daniel and smiled up at him.

Sighing, Daniel leaned back in his chair, head tilted back to look at the ceiling. Aedon was curled on the table, occasionally opening her eyes a slit to check and make sure her companion remained where she had left him. Chess had lightly leapt into his lap, huddled into a soft ball of fur. As he watched the light from the dying fire flicker on the walls, he gently ran his fingers over the ridge in the middle of the cat's head. The cat made a halting, rough noise, unlike any purr he'd heard before. Smiling, he slipped his fingers down, scratching delicately at her white chin. Her purr ran deeper and she gave a great stretch, gently kneading his thigh with her paws.

Arthur watched all of this through half-lidded eyes, licking his paws and running them over his ears. "Riddel," he said hoarsely.

Daniel glanced up, tonight not as affected but Arthur's mad grin or large frightening eyes. "Yes, my good gentleman cat?" he said mildly, concentrating on a particularly hard to reach spot on the back of Chess' neck. She rolled in ecstasy, then curled against his belly.

"Tomorrow, it begins. There is no time for games or outings. We only have a few days. You must be determined. You must cast aside your weaknesses." Arthur hunched forward, his teeth gleaming like the devil's eyes in the firelight. His pupils seemed to absorb all the light in the room and for some reason, it left Daniel laughing.

Arthur cocked his head.

Daniel swiped a hand over his face, grinning. "Forgive, I believe it's all finally sunk in. I think, perhaps, I need a good night sleep. You may tell me how I'm doomed in the morning. G'night, dear Arthur."

© Copyright 2013 C. W. Sherman (csher002 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1942845-Underland-Chapter-3