*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1943582-Trucks-and-the-American-Spirit
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Vee
Rated: E · Essay · Transportation · #1943582
English 2367 assignment analyzing an aspect of the American Identity shown on tv
Since 1894 the American automobile has been a part of the American spirit and has been immortalized throughout American culture in film, art, and song (America's First Car: The Southwest Michigan Directory). There are dozens of television programs about cars and trucks of all sorts on the air today. The documentary-drama Top Gear (UK) launched a spin-off, Top Gear (US) three seasons ago, and while it matches its British progenitor in its primary topic, cars, the American version primarily focuses on American cars and how they represent their country and its spirit (Top Gear).

One episode in particular, Viking Trucks, took the three hosts of the show to Iceland to attempt to climb an active volcano with three American trucks (Top Gear: Viking Trucks). While striving to prove the ability of their chosen trucks the hosts illustrate perfectly the indomitable American spirit. They set out from Iceland’s capital, Reykjavik, to accomplish a task no one had attempted in the two years since the volcano Eyjafjallajokull erupted in 2010. Their intention was to drive to the summit of this active volcano across the pristine Iceland glacial terrain. Outfitted with a huge American truck apiece and 150 gallons of fuel their journey covered more than 100 miles and spanned four days.

Throughout the endeavor there were many examples of American spirit; some explicitly shown, with others shown in more subtlety through the men’s actions. Overtly the purpose of the show was to illustrate the capability of American trucks compared to foreign models now in popular use in Iceland. This is similar to the premise of many of the show’s episodes. What was unusual and noteworthy about this particular episode was the extremeness of the challenge, how wild and adventurous it was, compared to merely analyzing cars round a track.

The American trucks’ ability to survive the -30° blizzard and extreme terrain proved the capability of American manufacturers to continue to compete on an international scale. Adding to the achievement of the vehicles’ performance was the fact that each truck was at least thirty years old. And the determination of the show to attempt a dangerous feat no local resident had taken on exhibited the determination to accomplish the impossible that has driven American explorers throughout history. But the American spirit shone the brightest in the actions of the hosts themselves.

Traveling through a completely untamed wilderness the hosts, comedian Adam Ferrara, racecar and stunt driver Tanner Foust, and NASCAR analyst and reporter Rutledge Wood, had to climb steep hills and cross frigid waters just to reach their primitive lodgings each night (Top Gear). While these men have varying levels of experience with vehicles, none of them is a professional explorer or outdoorsman. They weren’t only pushing their cars to the limit, they also pushed themselves. The men were so determined to succeed in their quest that when a hill proved too steep for the trucks, one of the hosts (Tanner Foust) jumped out of his vehicle and proceeded to push the truck, while in gear, towards the top of the hill, determined to reach it. The men’s perseverance shows through in many scenes like that one, unscripted evidence of indomitable will. They labored both day and night in pursuit of their goal. After getting lost out on the featureless snow fields on the second day of their trip, they actually had to sleep in their trucks, fatigue and weather pinning them down, unable to reach their lodgings for the night.

As days passed the toll of their endeavors became more obvious, and yet the intrepid explorers continued on their epic journey, struggling to proclaim American ability to the world through their actions. After traveling up the aptly named Valley of Doom the trio is forced to accept a partial retreat when their trucks are unable to scale the steep lip of the valley. Their goal for the day within eyeshot, they try their hardest, pushing themselves and their trucks to their limits, but are unable to complete the climb. And yet the unconquerable American spirit shines through, rather than accepting defeat the men retrace their steps, hours of mountain travelled, and reaching the base of the volcano, drive all the way to the opposite side, and attempt the climb from there.

Despite the many setbacks the team faced, they achieved their goal, and conquered Eyjafjallajokull. Having reached their aim, they placed an American flag to commemorate their achievement, just like the generations of American explorers before them. And regardless of their means of transportation or the television support crew, these men became explorers out there on the snow and ice. Their main purpose may have been entertainment, rather than the traditional goals of exploration and conquest, but that does not lessen their accomplishments.

While primarily setting out to entertain viewers with big strong trucks and jovial banter Top Gear also managed to capture on film the same drive and spirit felt by all American explorers throughout the country’s history. Both their scripted journey and their unconscious actions highlighted the unbeatable American spirit.



Works Cited

America's First Car: The Southwest Michigan Directory. n.d. 14 June 2013 <www.swmidirectory.org/Baushke_Car.html>.

Top Gear. n.d. 2 June 2013 <www.history.com/shows/top-gear>.

Top Gear: Viking Trucks. The History Channel, 2013.





© Copyright 2013 Vee (vmoore8888 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1943582-Trucks-and-the-American-Spirit