*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1943985-The-Fynder
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Weezy
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1943985
Draft of part of a novel I'm trying to make about a world with superpowers and swords
“My turn,” said Karen, stepping up to the ledge. The cliff towered on one side of a wide valley with a low, rocky bottom.
Karen’s other partners had already exhibited their supernatural powers. Clark had just carried a 100 pound rock; the twins Jared and Jessica used their telekenetic powers to keep the rock floated in the air even after Clark had let go. Zac did a full sprint around the circular hole(about 3 miles around), and Jeremy floated over the opening and back. Now it was her turn to try.
“I don’t know, Karen,” said Jared, “I don’t think Master Shan would allow this--”
“I don’t care about Master Shan,” replied Karen snarkily, “I’m the Fynder.” She took a few steps closer to the edge of the deep cliff.
Karen jumped.
Spreading her arms out like a cross, she looked down at the ground below her in mid-air. She felt like she could actually do it this time, like she could actually fly. For a split second she felt as if she was almost soaring. Suddenly the ground yards below her started to look bigger and bigger. She was falling.
As she plummetted, she looked above and saw her friends in shock.
“Something’s wrong,” Jessica said. “She’s not flying!”
Jeremy dove off the edge of the cliff, speeding towards the ground for her.
“Quick, Jared,” said Jessica. They both raised their arms up towards Jessica.
Jeremy grabbed her in mid-air as they both fell fast. Karen felt lighter and lighter as Jeremy used his levatation powers to reduce the speed they were going at, while the twins used their telekenesis to gradually decrease the speed she was falling at. She had been dropping through the air like a rock before, but now she was a feather; she would still fall hard, but the impact would be less.
Karen fell on the sharp rocks like a meteor. Jeremy absorbed most of the impact, covering her like a bear. Once they were on the ground, Jeremy quickly got on his feet.
Karen looked up from the ground and saw her mates around her. Somehow the twins must’ve transported Clark and Zac down to the lower ground.
“Thanks you guys,” she said, getting up, “I owe ya one--”
“Karen, what the hell is wrong with you!” Jeremy exclaimed. “You could’ve died!”
“I wouldn’t have died,” Karen said nonchalantly. “I’m the Fynder for Pete’s sake!”
“No,” Jeremy snapped, “There’s no such thing as a Fynder. It’s a stupid myth, it has always been. A myth for naive people like you to believe.”
“Are you calling me naive? Master Shan says so--”
“Master Shan’s a senile old man, half of the stuff he says makes no sense. He doesn’t even powers, and you use him as a backup? Even if the legend of the Fynder is true, I’d rather have no Fynder than a Fynder like you!”
Karen crossed her arms and turned away. “Hmph!”
Jeremy did the same. “Hymph!”
“Uhh guys,” said Zac, “Didn’t want to interrupt your married couple argument, but uhh...there’s probably about 5 Saranin Soldiers about a few feet in front of us.”
5 Soldiers stood, armor equipped, swords buckled at the waist. The bearded man in the middle spoke: “What business have you in Saranin territory? This belongs to the Great Magemagne.”
“Umm,” said Zac, “Hey best buddies, we were just uhhhh...”
“We are just poor traders travelling through the valley,” said Jessica.
“We wish you no trouble,” Clark said. “We just got a bit lost, that’s all.” Clark was defined for a 16 year old, due to his super strength ability, but he wasn’t a match for full grown soldiers of Saranin’s army. Jeremy could fly fast, but he could only go so far, and there’s no way he could get them all out. The same went with the twins; they had good coordinated telekenetic powers but they weren’t strong enought by any means to manipulate anyone or anything larger than a book. Zac was fast, but the soldiers were probably faster. They were all 16 or 17, but they were like kids compared to Saranin’s highly-trained soldiers.
And then that left her. She had no powers yet, but she knew she was the Fynder.
“You have no authorization to be here,” the bearded soldier said. “Invading Saranin’s territory is punishable by death.
He motioned to the other soldiers. “Take them.”
Four of the soldiers around him drew swords and briskly walked over to them.
“Hey hey hey,” said Zac, awkwardly smiling, “Now this is just a big understanding. Can’t we all just go back home and eat some delicious sugared bread cake? I’m on your side, I don’t even know these kids, I’m with Magemag whatever his name is too, I hate teenagers--”
“Kill the loudmouth first,” the bearded soldier said.
Zac screeched as the soldiers got closer to the group.
“Wait!” yelled Karen. “Let them go. I’m the reason why they are even in this situation.” The girl stepped up in front of the soldiers. “If you want to pick a fight with someone, pick a fight with me.”
The bearded soldier and the other soldiers started laughing heavily. “An unarmed child like you? And a girl, too? You are a funny child.” He smiled and looked to the soldiers. “Maybe the executioner will have a good laugh before he lops off your head.”
Karen got into a fighting stance. “You don’t know who you’re messing with.”
The bearded soldier was on the ground, laughing hard. “Just kill her already, she’s too funny!”
Karen rolled up her sleeves. Her tattoos on her arms were showing, and they indicated who the Fynder was. Uh-oh, she tought, I’m not supposed to show them!
But it was too late. A soldier looked at her arms and gasped. “General,” he said, “This girl is the Fynder!”
By this time the general soldier was up. “What did you say?” He saw her tattoos from a distance away. A wave of shock coarsed through him. “KILL HER NOW BEFORE SHE USES HER POWERS!”
One of the soldiers lifted his blade high in the air, right above Karen. She looked up at the blade, frozen in fear. The soldier was knocked away by a tackle from Clark. Clark and the armed warrior tussled away, and Clark knocked the sword out of the soldier’s hands. He punched him using his super-strength and the soldier fell unconscious.
Jared and Jessica both raised their arms and two swords fell out of the two soldiers’ hands. Zac super-sped towards both of the soldiers and tripped them, sending them to the ground. The General, his sword still unsheathed, watched, his face a mix of anger and horror.
I can’t believe a bunch of little snot nosed brats like you are beating up my highly trained men!” The bearded General finally drew his sword. “I may not have powers like you, but my sword does! His sword ignited with small string-like strands of lightning spiraled around the blade. With a mighty grunt the general ran towards Karen, sword-in-hand, and raised the blade up.
Suddenly a leg kicked him in the face in mid-air and he was knocked away. An old man had materialized in mid-air, apparently teleporting. Karen’s face lit up.
The group of teenagers all said at one, “Master Shan!”
“That drop-kick was rad, Master Shan!” said Zac
“This was all Karen’s fault,” said Jeremy. “She--”
“No time for that,” said Master Shan. “More are coming this way.”
The same way that the general had come, more soldiers appeared.
“What do we do now?” said Zac.
Master Shan readied a battle pose. “We fight.”
© Copyright 2013 Weezy (eragon97 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1943985-The-Fynder