*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1944456-Sig-Woods-and-The-Book-of-Elements
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1944456
This is the first two sample chapters in the new novel (work in progress.
Chapter One

As an eerie moonlight drifted across a darkened, evergreen forest, footsteps were heard pounding into the soft earth.  The boy ran as fast as he could through the trees, glancing back occasionally.  Something or someone was chasing him.  His heart raced madly as an unknown creature galloped after him, gaining speed with each passing second.  Follow the green light.  Follow it. Now!  The boy honed in on the bright green light far in front of him and kept running.  Hearing branches snapping and trees being uprooted, he knew whatever the thing was, it wasn't happy.  Just then he heard, BOOM!.  An energy bolt seared through the air, finding its mark and sending the enormous creature stumbling backwards.  The boy skidded to a halt and peered into the darkness to see where the bolt had come from.  He could see a shadow of a man, with one emerald green eye and the other an electric blue pointing to an object on the ground…

Sig Woods jolted awake in a cold sweat.  What an odd dream.  He wiped the sweat from his face and sat up, looked around, and collapsed back to sleep. 

Sig was a scrawny boy about sixteen years of age, shaggy dirty blonde hair, piercing green eyes, and always pondering.

He lived with his mother and father in a quiet, rural part of Rocksburg Hollow.  It was a small town with a population roughly the size of eight thousand five hundred people.    His house was a small two- story cottage, a light brown color with dark brown shades.  Inside the house, there were many knick knacks, odds and ends, and books related to nature.  When walking through the front door you could easily smell a homey, earthy tinge which was somewhat inviting.  In the kitchen Sig's mother, Alana, was usually cooking some sort of odd dish.

Sig's mother was a short, plump woman with a wispy blonde bun atop her head and usually dressed in an apron covered in an unmistakable spatter of ingredients.  She was in her mid forties with pale blue eyes.  Mrs. Woods ran a baking store from her home.  Mrs. Woods passion was baking after all.  People from miles around would come to buy her homemade jams, jellies, pies, deserts, and any dish of food you could think of. 



In the backyard there was an enormous greenhouse where his dad spent most of his days.  Sig's father, Herbert Woods was a botanist and was frequently planting different species of herbs, vegetables, and other oddities in the greenhouse.  Mr. Woods was tall, balding and always had a plaid shirt on along with favorite, well-worn pants.  He was in his early fifties, slender build, and there was deep intelligence in his wide-set brown eyes. 



Behind their house was a huge forest where Sig would go to retreat for the day after school.  Walking among the plants, animals, and trees  he felt most at home and could really learn.  The forest always seemed to talk to him in silent tones.  He never told his parents as he thought they would think he was daydreaming again.     



  You see, Sig loved nature.  He took care of plants, trees, animals, and anything that was living.  He grew up in the forest so he had the natural inclination to take care of it.  At any given opportunity, he used every second of spare time to think up revolutionary new ways to improve the forest.  In the past, Sig had actually healed a tree that was dying and tended to a garden in middle school. 



In school, Sig was quiet, not interacting with many people and getting picked on because of how he acted.  Other kids knew Sig liked nature and they were constantly taunting him.

"Hey Sig, watch out you might step on that frog!" fellow students would snicker.

  Sig just kept to himself and ignored them.  They did not know the importance of nature and didn't take the time to learn.  All they cared about were video games and what movies they were going to see that day. 



Sig's favorite subject was biology for obvious reasons.  He loved to learn about how plants got their energy or how different animals had defense mechanisms if predators got too close.  Sig also had a fascination about elements, such as thunderstorms, rain, wind, and hurricanes. 

He frequently asked himself, Where do these elements get their immense power?

Sometimes, Sig would excitedly wait for an approaching thunderstorm just to watch the lightning dance across the sky. 



One afternoon, Sig could see an approaching rainstorm.  "Mum, why do all the animals outside grow silent before it rains?"  he asked.

"Well, Sig the animals listen to what nature has to say to them." 

"The wind, rain, and thunder are always telling a story and all you have to do is listen." she explained.

Sig replied, "But I cannot hear them. Why can't I hear them and the animals can?"

Sig's mother laughed.  "You do not listen with your ears, listen with your body which is in tune with nature."  she said quietly.

  "Ok mum I guess that makes sense."  Sig muttered to himself.  So Sig talked with his mother some more about this topic and then turned in for bed.



Sig's room was all the way in the attic which his father had converted into a comfy, quiet room for Sig when he was little.  This way Sig could have his peace a quiet while listening to the birds in the morning or watching a thunderstorm. 



As he lay down on his bed, Sig pondered his mother's response. 

Listen with your body?  How do I do that? he wondered.

  As he felt his eyes closing he saw a small green light outside his window, glowing.  Sig wanted to explore more about this mysterious light but was too tired to do so.  He heard a soft rain patter against the roof, he lazily drifted off to sleep.













Chapter Two

Sig awoke early, trying to stifle a giant yawn he got up from his bed and stumbled over to the window where he saw that light last night.  Sunlight poured in the window and insects buzzed outside with their usual chorus.

Was it nature trying to speak to him? he wondered.

  As he gazed up at the morning sky he heard a knock on the door.  He wheeled around almost tripping over some junk he had left out the night before.  Clamoring for his bedroom door he opened the door to his mother, Mrs. Woods.  She had a bright smile and a tray of breakfast for him.

"I made you some breakfast." she said handing him the tray. 



Sig grabbed the tray, went over to his bed, and started hungrily devouring the pancakes; dripping with syrup, fruit, and powdered sugar.

"Fanks Mum", he mumbled with a mouth full of food.

  His mum really knew how to cook.  As he finished his meal he got up and heard a screech of a meow.

"Oh Ginger I'm sorry did I step on your tail again?"  he inquired sympathetically, picking up the family cat.

  The cat purred annoyingly as Sig petted her fluffy cheeks.  Ginger flicked her tail from side to side showing indulgence in the attention that was now bestowed upon her.  Ginger had been in the family for as long as Sig could remember.  Ginger was a big, fluffy Maine Coone with ginger and brown markings and yellow lamp-like eyes.  She always followed Sig around the yard and ventured with him into the forest from time to time to chase playfully after the small animals. 



"Ginger I wonder if you can hear nature just like the other animals." he asked his cat still in his arms.

She seemed to nod in response. Sig walked downstairs to the living room where Ginger stirred restlessly.  She must have seen a mouse as the cat bolted like lightning out of his arms and through the front door which was left open.  Sig decided it was a good idea to take a morning stroll in the forest since it was still early.  He decided to go down by the creek where he usually sat and pondered different ideas.  Maybe he would find Ginger there, too.

Walking along the path towards the forest he waved to his father who was busy in his greenhouse.

"Morning, Dad!" Sig called out. 

There was a crash and commotion about the greenhouse.  Some choice words were used as an emerging Mr. Woods came out of the greenhouse.

"Oh, hello Sig.  You caught me just as I was trying to plant one of my new species of fern."  he added rubbing his elbow.

"Why don't you come in and I'll show you?" he offered.

Sig agreed and walked into the greenhouse.  Come to think of it, he had never been in his father's greenhouse often.  As he peered inside he saw hundreds of species of plants, ferns, and vegetables.  Sig's father ran ahead to the back of the greenhouse. 

"Back here, Sig!" called a voice somewhere in the back of the greenhouse.  Sig hurried to the back of the greenhouse and there stood his father collecting the shards of a broken clay pot.  Sig gazed at the new species of fern that was sitting in a different pot.  It was a strange fern indeed as the tiny leaves furled and unfurled all by themselves. 

"This little fern here took me months to procure, Sig.  It is my pride and joy this season." he proclaimed excitedly.

"I had no idea you had all these plants, dad.  I just thought you only tended to the garden."  Sig admitted pointing to the large garden in the center of the greenhouse.  This is where most of the Woods got their food from. 

"Anyways I have to administer a growth serum to this little guy because he is having trouble growing."  Mr. Woods explained, gathering some materials from a nearby cupboard. 

"Good luck I will be in the forest then."  replied Sig as he left his dad to tend to his ferns.  Sig walked along the path to the forest where he saw Ginger ready to pounce on a lawn gnome.

"You silly cat don't you know that isn't real? Sig laughed.

Ginger ignored his reply and pounced on the gnome then preceded to attempt to rip its head off.  When that didn't work she kicked it furiously with her back legs.  After about ten minutes of Ginger trying desperately to subdue the gnome, she lost interest and followed Sig into the forest. 

Sig and Ginger walked down to the creek where they usually got fresh water from.  Sig looked in the glistening reflection of the creek and watched as his mirror image danced across the water's surface.  He wondered about last night's conversation about nature and what his mother had said.  Sig closed his eyes and tried to listen with his body just as his mother instructed him to.  He heard a splash nearby.  He jolted out of his trance to see Ginger once again up to mischief.  This time she was chasing some fish that were swimming downstream.  So much for attempting to listen to nature, he thought to himself.  Sig got up and walked back down the path and into the house where his mother was preparing a pie. 



"Sig could you run down to the store and get some milk I think we've run out already!" his mother shouted from the kitchen. 

"Ok I'll be back in a half an hour."  Sig replied as he walked outside to the garage. 

Once he got to the garage, Sig rummaged through the piles of junk, past the old car that no longer ran, and finally got to his old bicycle.  It was a worn out blue color peppered with rust but it still worked like a charm.  He hopped on his bike and turned out of the driveway down the dirt path to the main road.  As he pedaled, he waved to some neighbors who were sitting on their porch before speeding along the road until he reached the center of town.



Rocksburg Center as it was called was a small but busy plaza in the center of Rocksburg Hollow.  Stores were crammed along the street as people went in and out of them going about their daily routine.  The center of town was not very big as Rocksburg Hollow was such a small community. Everybody knew everybody else and it was not as busy as some of the cities surrounding Rocksburg were. 

"Morning!" Sid yelled as he rode past the hardware store where the owner was sitting outside reading a newspaper.

The gentleman waved politely and went back to reading the classified section, looking for old antique car parts.  Sig decided to ride around town for a bit.  It was still early in the morning and he had much time on his hands.  As he rode to the center green he noticed a large stone with an engraving.  He stopped and got off his bicycle to read the engraving on the rock:

Rocksburg Hollow was established this day, May 22 precisely 150 years ago.  It is  named after the many rocks and mountains that Rocksburg Hollow sits upon.  The origin of who built this small town is unknown, but we continue to carry on the legacy of this great province for generations to come.

-D.W. 1862

Sig read the caption over one more time.  Who was D.W.? he wondered.  He had not noticed the rock in the center green before.  Nevertheless,  it was an interesting informative about the small town he had lived in for his entire life.  Sig jumped on his bike and continued down the road past the post office, package store, comic book store, and finally came to the grocery store.  Sig coasted along until he stopped in front of a small grocery store near the bike rack.  He locked up his bicycle and strolled into the store. 

"Good morning, Mrs. Evans." Sig smiled at the lady sitting behind the cash register. 

"Well good morning to you Sig!" she replied happily.  "Did your mother run out of milk again?" 

"Yes." he replied. 

Mrs. Evans answered, "I've known your mother for a long time and I cannot recall how many times she has stopped by because she has been out of milk."  She cooks such wonderful food and yet still has time it seems to grab extra provisions."  she muttered.

"It seems that way doesn't it?" Sig nodded in agreement. 

Sig went over to the glass freezer and picked up a couple of gallons of milk.  It was nice that the milk was local so he knew it was fresh and in perfect condition for cooking with.  Not to mention it had a tremendous creamy texture.  He returned to the counter and paid for the milk.

Mrs. Evans exclaimed, "Don't forget to tell your mother that her strawberry pie was absolutely delightful and that I would like to order another!" 

"Will do Mrs. Evans take care now." Sig said as made his way out of the store and back to his bike with his purchase.

  Sig got back on his bike and realized he needed to hurry home before the milk spoiled.  His mother needed it for her cooking since there was going to be a cooking party tomorrow that she needed to get ready for.

Sig rode his bike from the town green, past the stores, and once again down the road to his house.  He paused frequently to admire different plants and bushes along the way and thinking to himself how wonderful nature was.  It gave him peace of mind that he always had somewhere to retreat to when times got tough. 

Sig reached home and parked his bike near the front porch.  He grabbed the two milk jugs from their basket and hurried inside. 

"Mum, I've got the milk you asked for."  Sig said as he placed them on the counter. 

"Great! Thank you Sig." Mrs. Woods replied.  " You came back just in time to sample my new blueberry pie." she added. 

"Oh by the way Mrs. Ev-"

"I know Mrs. Evans wanted another strawberry pie which is why I sent you for milk."  Mrs. Woods smiled.

How did she know that?  He knew that his mother and Mrs. Evans were very close but how could she have known before he got there?  Sig didn't think much of it and went into the living room.  Sitting down on the couch he flipped on the television. 

"Sig, go tell your father dinner is almost ready!" Mrs. Woods yelled from the kitchen.

Sig got up and walked to the back door and hollered, "DAD TIME FOR DINNER!" 

In reply his dad came busting out of the greenhouse disheveled but with a broad grin on his face.

"I did it! The serum worked!  The fern is growing like a weed."  he exclaimed nearly jumping out of his shoes from excitement.  Sig had never seen anyone so thrilled about plants as his father was.  A true botanist at heart, Sig thought to himself.

Sig's father came into the house and went to wash up for dinner.  When all of them were seated it seemed all of them took a deep breath and sighed.  Everyone had accomplished something that day.  Mrs. Woods baked her pies, Mr. Woods had succeeded with his growth serum for his new fern, and Sig got the adventure about town he was searching for.

The family chatted into the night discussing the day's events and what was planned for tomorrow.  For tomorrow was a big day for all of them especially Mrs. Woods.  She was having a cooking party to reveal her new recipe for a new and improved fruit pie. 

Sig mentioned that he was tired and headed off to his bedroom, Mr. Woods stumbled lazily into the living room and flipped on the television, and Mrs. Woods cleaned up the kitchen.  All in all, it was a very productive day at the Woods residence.             



© Copyright 2013 Y. Pushkin (yevgueney at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1944456-Sig-Woods-and-The-Book-of-Elements