*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1945662-A-Wasteland-and-Crazy-Just-Mix
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1945662
The world has been taken over by supernaturals, and the vampire and Fae are at war.
A wasteland and crazy just mix

I sprung out onto the street, the two lichens on my heels, and nearly ran into two passing vamps. I let out a laugh as I continue my mad dash up the street, occasionally glancing back to make sure my pursers were still following, when they started to slow down all I had to do was yell some insults back at them and by god, they were right back running fast as ever. No wonder you’re just henchmen, your temper is absolutely atrocious, well then, so is your boss’s… God, which smartass high seelie decided to make a werewolf a mob boss in the first place? And in charge of other werewolves, that’s just a giant ticking time bomb asking to be set of…. I pull myself out of my thoughts as I notice how far I’ve gone, show time! I slow down slightly, allowing the two werewolves to inch closer, I then allow myself to stumble on some non-existent debris and fall. As the ground rushes to meet me I duck into a roll and use the momentum to skid into a defensive crouching position and face the two lichens, who also skid to an abrupt stop. I run my eyes over their faces to make sure that my ploy would work, and sure enough a smug confidence hung in their expressions. I smiled internally but put up a slightly frightened mask, “come any closer and I’ll rip you a new one.” I forced a slight tremble into my voice and was rewarded with the blatant look of confidence on the henchman’s faces. “What happened to all those guts you had back there kid? Only when you’re running?” he let out a sharp bark of a laugh at his own clever remark, I rolled my eyes internally, good one! That gets you a gold sticker! I thought sarcastically, but on the outside I stay silent, afraid my automatic-sacastomatic would fire off. “Were going to have to ask you to come with us, you see, our boss has a score to settle with you.” I could see his hand slipping toward a weak immobilization rune sticking out of his pocket, pfft; I could shatter that thing like glass, you idiots. I decided to let them “capture me” the sooner I get to their boss, the better. “No way, you just think that I’m going to go with you?” his face spread into a self-confident grin, “well that’s just too bad.” He flung the rune at me and it took all my willpower not to reduce it to ashes. I relaxed as I let the rune wrap around me, my limbs suddenly feeling like air as I fell. I hit the pavement with a sickening thud, and one of the lichens kicked me in the stomach, hard. “Stupid kid,” he growled, as he went for another his comrade grasped his arm and yanked him back, “the boss said he wants her undamaged, calm down man!” I heard him growl fiercely. The other lichen simply yanked his arm away and gestured to me, still motionless on the ground, “shut up, I know. Just grab her; the boss is already going to be pissed at us for taking so long.” I feel myself lifted and am thrown over a shoulder, I smile to myself as my ploy rolls along smoothly, idiots, I think smugly as the weak rune finally manages to drag me into unconsciousness.



I wake up in a very comfortable chair, my limbs surprisingly heavy; I peer down at my hands only to see that I’m handcuffed to the chair. Ah, so that’s what it is, I think mildly. I look around the room curious, I seem to be in an office, dark red walls and leather furniture, a large window sits behind a large mahogany desk, covered in a velvet curtain, a heavy door sits 15 feet to my right. “Hellooo! Are you just going to make me sit here or do you actually have something to say?” I called out, not bothering to put up the act anymore; I’m exactly where I wanted to be. “Hey, Hey, HEY! I’m not going to stop yelling until I get an answer! I’m getting bored!” I watch amused as a familiar face appears from behind the door, oh look, it’s the idiot that kicked me in the stomach, I’ll have to repay him for that. “Shut up! Unless you want me to kick you again, and my friend won’t be here to stop me this time.” He sneered, oh dear lord, I’m going to take great joy in killing you. “Where’s your idiot of a boss? I’d really like to stop wasting my time here…” he looked at me like I’d just announced that I was the next Seelie court queen, I rolled my eyes, “fine, I’ll go find him myself. Before he could even get out his next genius retort I was manipulating the metal hand cuffs off my hands and into little spikes. I threw them towards the despicable werewolf and promptly ran one right into his throat, causing his face to twist into confusion as he started to claw at his throat, a satisfying gurgling sound making its way out of his mouth. I watched him watch an eerie calmness as he stared at me in shock, the life rapidly draining from his eyes. I leaned over the dying beast and whispered in his ear, “ain’t karma a bitch,” just as he expelled his last gurgling breath, and with it, the life in his eyes. I then simply righted myself and stepped over the dead body of the lichen, his blood lazily seeping across the floor and his terrified expression still frozen on his lifeless face, blood trickling from his lips. I slipped into the long poorly lit corridor, and I followed it humming a random tune, running one of the metal spikes down the wall as I walked, leaving a long squiggly tear in the deep red wall paper. I could feel the familiar feeling of my power settling onto my bones, hugging them like a familiar friend. I continue down the hall and I let my power wash over me, my senses sharpening, my eyes glowing gold, I could hear the faint sound of music booming, shaking the walls. So his headquarters is a club? Hmm, maybe I‘ll get chance to kill some unseelie… The man who I’m after is named Alferan, he’s a werewolf with a terrible temper disposition, of course, I’d managed to piss him off by killing some of his men, they tried to eat me, and he’d been sending lichen after lichen after me, and I’d sent each one back, neatly chopped up and in a box. I’ve gotten tired of always looking over my shoulder for the past 3 months, so now it’s time to take out the trash. I let an anticipating smile stretch its way across my face.

I slid through the crowd like water, lithely avoiding the crush of dancing Ether worlders, my eyes locked on the lounge in the back, tucked into the corner. I eyed the slim, elfish lichen as he sat surrounded by various female Fae, a confident smile hanging on his face. I drew closer and closer, and he didn’t notice me until I’d slipped next to him on the deep red couch. Convenient, the stains won’t show. I thought amusedly. I give an icy glare and growl at the surrounding Fae; they quickly disassemble without question, sensing the waves of power rolling off me, and flee my searing gaze. When Alferan’s watery blue eyes swung around and met my gold his cocky smile melted away, just like flesh in the flames, “Now I don’t think that it was very nice to lock me up in that room all alone, I got very bored, you really shouldn’t treat your guests like that.” I give him a bright smile, my eyes burning with a predatory amusement. “H-how did you get out? You were handcuffed to the chair!” I give him a pitying look, knowing that he could finally feel my power radiating off me, “you thought I was a human? You really don’t have any idea what I really am, what I can do?” I let out a sigh and eye him as he started to edge away from me, his eyes darting to one of the bouncers facing the crowd, and back to the lounge. “I guess it’s to be expected, you never really the sharpest tool in the shed, maybe I should give you a little hint.” I maneuver the four 8 inch spikes so they’re hovering right in front of his face; he instantly freezes and slowly turns to me with a shocked expression. “What are you?” I hear him say, I let out a loud laugh, loud enough to make him jump. “I’d really like to know that too…” I fade off into thought and stare out over the crowd, “I really would.” I whisper to myself, I pull myself back to reality and peer into Alferan’s face, enjoying the expression of pure fear that I found there. “Well as much as I’d love to stay and puzzle this out with you, I really have some important matter to attend to,” his relief was obvious, as his whole body slumped into the couch, his face drawn, “so I’ll just finish up my business here.” I say with an amused tone as I watched the almost comical transformation Alferan went through from my last statement. His entire body stiffened, every muscle now suddenly taunt with tension. I let out a small sigh as I once again let my power take over me; I manipulated myself into the air, floating off the couch away from Alferan and hovered 30 feet above the dancing crowd. I let my power flow into the structure of the building, feeling the depth of the cement, the cold steel that wrapped around the building, all the copper, steel, rock, and iron that ran through its structure. I could faintly hear Alferan screeching something, but I ignored the pest as I set my mind to the task at hand. In a surge of power I pull everything down around me, imploding the building. The screech of metal, the crack of cement, and the screams of the evil creatures filled the air. I simply sit and wait for the dust in the air to clear, and take in a deep breath of the brisk, clean night air. I float lazily above the rubble, taking a moment to appreciate my masterpiece before engulfing the entire scene in scorching blue flame, eliminating any factors that could’ve traced back to me, including survivors. That night was branded with blood, smoke and a burning hate, it seared the cold serene black of the night sky. I added my own streak against the slate black night as I hurtled away from the scene covered in blood and smelling of smoke, splitting the air as I ripped through the sky in silence.





I observe the two men who had been tracking me for the last hour, both tall, pale and undeniably vamps. Why the sudden interest in me? It’s not like I’ve caused any trouble for any of them… recently at least. I continue to watch them from the windowsill 6 stories up where I was perched; my curiosity peaking when one pulls out a cell phone and starts to give a report. To whom? I would very much like to know. I continue my silent observation and concentrate on the conversation, hoping to get some insight on who sent them. “We lost her back at Veronica’s place; she seemed to be heading south toward downtown.” The other voice on the line resonated autho

3rity, along with heavy traces of obvious agitation, “Damnit, just find her and bring her to Stella’s. Stephan is getting impatient and I don’t think his patience will last much longer…either way be extremely cautious, we don’t know anything about her except that she’s terrifies almost every person on the street we talk to.” I let out a colorful string of curse words in my head, if my assumption was right; they were taking orders from the Stephan, not just some low-ranking vampire with a grudge. This is going to be such a pain to deal with; he’s just going to keep sending out his guys until I’m found. I let out a quiet grumble and run a hand through my hair, long, brown and a pain to keep up with in this wasteland city, or what’s left of it I should say.

20 years ago the vampires were the first to cross over to our realm from their world, for their world, the Ether, was slowly falling apart (don’t ask me why, I haven’t the foggiest idea). The vampires attacked and brought society to its knees watched it fall, and amidst the ruins of civilization they took over. Not long after the rest of the supernatural community followed, demons, werewolves, fae of seelie both and unseelie courts, witches and warlocks alike came over from their world, the Ether, slowly populating abandoned cities. Nowadays humans are pretty much Supe (supernatural) snacks, and treated as such, and me, well their not supposed to know I exist, but of course somehow someway a certain head honcho vamp caught me on his radar for some reason. It seriously pisses me off. For one I’m not human, but I’m not a Supe either, i don’t even know if I had parents, much less who they might’ve been, all I know is that I’m 15. I’m an unknown factor, which I would guess makes me a huge threat. Even if they figure what the hell I am, I doubt it will do anything to help them; my “abilities” assure that. I can manipulate the elements, on a large scale, it’s my biggest strong point, but also my weakest point. I can’t let them find out what I am or what I can do, or else I’d have every Supe in the realm on my tail, and even I can’t deal with thousands upon thousands of enemies coming at me every hour of every day, I have a life to live, antics to do, legends to make! Otherwise believe me, I’d love to see the look on those jerks faces when I start shooting flames out of my hands, tearing up their strongholds and throwing their men around like twigs. I let out a quiet sigh as the wonderful image of me throwing around Supe henchman fills my head, causing a grin to break across my face. “Hey! She’s up on that building!” I’m ripped out of my blissful daydream as I hear my stalkers start to yell. Damnit! I’m spotted; time to split. I glance down at the two men already scaling the building, fucking vamps and their freakish agility. I peer over the ledge, and seeing no other exit I’m forced to reveal some of my ability.

I take in a deep breath and take a running jump off my perch, the vamps 2 stories away now, and quickly manipulate the air around me so I’m suspended in midair. I push away a good 30 feet from the building only to turn back around and see the two vamps now occupying my former perch, starring at me like I’d sprouted another head. Oh lord, the look on their faces is priceless, what I wouldn’t give for a camera right now. “You tell your boss to either come or find me himself or leave me the hell alone; I don’t have time to play with his lapdogs.” I yell across at them, my annoyed tone ringing in the stagnant air, and with a double one-finger salute to both my stalkers I abruptly turn around and take off toward downtown, my newly acquired knowledge whirling around in my mind, and causing a sense of foreboding to settle in my gut.

Stephan;

“She did what?!” I growled at the two vampires currently cowering under my gaze. “She flew off, and we lost her, but she did want us to give you a message.” I rubbed my eyes, exasperated. How in the hell does a 15 year old girl become such a problem? “What’s the message, word for word?” the air in the room was suddenly wrought with tension; the two vampires hesitated before speaking. “She says to either come and find her yourself or leave her the hell alone, she doesn’t have time to play with your lapdogs.” I stared at them a moment, stunned, but then let out a barking laugh. I’ll admit that this girl has guts, but I have no idea if she’s just stupidly confident or if I don’t know half of what this girl really is. My two subordinates stared at me with frightened expressions, my laughter clearly startling them. “I’m done playing games, this girl from the shadows is an unknown factor, and I can’t afford any surprises now while the war with Fae is going on. Send Jacob and a few men, I want her here back at Stella’s before tomorrow, where I can keep an eye on her, do I make myself clear?” the two men simply nodded, shaken at the mention of Jacobs name. “Yes sir, right away.” I watched them as they retreated out of my office, and disappear into the corridor.

Circe;

Stupid fucking vampires, I can’t even go outside. Not even an hour ago I’d got wind that Stephan had sent Jacob after me; this usually wouldn’t be such a huge deal if it was a simple subordinate of his or twelve. But this was Jacob we were talking about. As the rumors go, his agility rivals my own, and one drop of your blood and he can track you across oceans. He’s the former tracker for the winter unseelie court, but switched sides when the Ether fell. I’d really rather not give him the chance to get my blood, which is pretty high due to his speed, so now I have to stay holed up like a rat in a trap. Seems like Stephan’s serious about this if he actually sent Jacob, craaaap. I give a sigh and fall back onto my bed, an old oak four poster with thick velvet curtains, large and lavish, much like the rest of my décor, courtesy of a couple abandoned stores and many hours of transport. I gaze at the wall, tracing the occasional rip in the wall paper with my finger, running my eyes over the faded red and gold stripe pattern. Well now what? I roll over onto my feet and make my way to one of the windows, pushing aside the heavy curtains to gaze down at the street. It was desolate, debris cluttered the city, I could see for blocks from my vantage point, an abandoned penthouse on the top floor of an old luxury condo. I have to find some way to get out of this, I can’t just keep holed up day after day expecting Stephan to eventually lose interest.

Jacob;

I roamed the streets, flashing from one place to the next, looking for any sign of the girl. Why is Stephan so concerned about one human girl? She’s probably harmless, just a kid who knows a few flashy moves in a fight, built up by unrealistic rumors. I turn around the next corner only to come face to face with a towering luxury condo building. It must’ve really been something before everything got taken over… I let the thought trail off, my mind wandering to what this world was before. It’s not like I regret coming over to this realm, I had to, the Ether was crumbling, but I do regret what we did to this worlds native inhabitants, destroying their homes, their society… no. They were weak and therefor couldn’t even protect their own world; they deserved to be overrun by much more capable individuals, I thought sternly, I have a mission to complete. I turned away from the towering structure and started back the way I came, silently maneuvering my way through the debri-filled streets. I only made it halfway down the block when I turned back around to gaze at the impressive tower. I wonder what it’s like… and with that I spun around and briskly made my way to the condo, I’m 120 years old, I shouldn’t be gawking at these simple human structures, but I ignored reason and let my curiosity getting the better of me. I took one last gaze up at the building before pushing the lobby doors open. I was surprised when they opened with ease, their age not clearly apparent, and what caught my attention all the more was that the inside wasn’t filthy like all the other buildings, it wasn’t even disorderly, oh no, clear of debris and dust the marble floor gleamed weakly, plush red chairs sat around glass coffee tables neatly organized, the crystal chandelier even flickered on when I flipped the switch behind the check-in booth. If I’d thought the surprises were over, I was wrong. I decided not to push my luck and try the elevators so I headed for the entrance to the stairs, and when faced with a chain locked around the handle I simply ripped it off, even if they were able to get the electricity working in here they’re still clueless about supernaturals, I mean really? A chain? I pushed open the door, still criticizing the poor defenses set. I was so wrapped up in my thoughts I almost stepped on a fire rune, set not 3 inches from my foot, barely visible save the slight telltale glow along the papers edges. A rune? Maybe this person isn’t as clueless as I thought, there’s no way a human could manage to make rune, but then again, why would another Ether worlder be all the way down here holed up in some human condo building? Something doesn’t fit. I examined the rest of the stair well, spotting many carefully place runes up the middle of the stairs, in the exact places someone who didn’t see them would step, but if one knew that the runes where there, they could easily slip up the side of the stair and pass unharmed. Well I’ll be damned; this person is much smarter than I gave them credit for. This is exactly the kind of person I just can’t leave uninvestigated. They’re probably on the top floor, perfect for a vantage point over the city; I carefully maneuvered my way up the stairs, taking care not to lose a limb to one of the runes. And for someone who doesn’t want to be found, I added, my suspicion and curiosity peaking whenever I spotted a particularly advanced rune.

Circe;

Let out another dramatic groan, I want to go out flying again; i want to feel the wind in my hair, maybe go and bother some Supes, GAH! I FEEL LIKE A CAGED ANIMAL. I screamed mentally in my head. 3 hours in and I think I’m going insane, why does it seem that every Supe in the entire fucking realm is looking for me? I roll over and bury my face in a pile of pillows with a groan. Wait! Music! I quickly untangle myself from the numerous pillows and dart across the penthouse to my old leather satchel, quickly grasping my iPod. A goofy grin splits across my face as I start to scroll through my extensive library. On my 12th birthday I had found this iPod tucked away in a corner of an old apartment I had scavenged from, and over the years, I managed to get a hold of numerous CD’s and transferred them to my library. It’s the only thing keeping me remotely sane in these usually boring times, always too much waiting, watching, hiding… “I’m feeling lucky, Suffle time!” I yelled out loud to no one in particular, the promise of music was enough to improve my mood. I plugged in the iPod to my speaker, yet another lucky acquisition from one of my scavenging exploits, and started to hop around, waiting for the music to start.

Jacob;

Even before I exited the stair well to the 28th floor, I could hear music blasting, and an intoxicating female voice ringing out above the original artist’s voice and the instrumental sound. Who is this girl? I slowly made my way down the marble corridor, smirking at the odd item or sock that lay askew on the ground. I stood outside the polished door, staring at the name elegantly carved into the wood of the door, Circe’s place. I could now hear her voice as clear as a bell, rising over the music, wildly singing the lyrics, the carefree tone in her voice something I haven’t heard in the numerous decades of living in this virtual wasteland, I was drawn to it like a starving man to food as I slowly push open the door. Her voice poured over me as I opened the door further, “I’m falling, falling down, in this decent to my own hell, I can’t see the light anymore, evermore, Evermore, EVERMORE! I can’t breathe this tainted air; I’m pulling at my hair, just set me free… SET ME FREE! Before I fall, fall…fall, fall, fall, before I fall, fall…fall, fall, fall, and SHATTTER! Darl’in I’m falling, falling down, in this decent to my own heeeelll,”

I watched her dance around, her back to me as she lithely pranced around the room, throwing pillows about as she sang; her slim body gracefully maneuvering around the room as if she was water, her deep brown hair reaching almost to her waist as it swung around, in tune with her movements. But I was so caught up in watching her I wasn’t prepared when she suddenly swung around and spotted me, the song instantly dying on her lips, staring at me with a terrified expression. I very nearly gasped as I saw her eyes, a glowing green, so vibrant they seemed surreal. But after I got over her eyes I actually looked at her face, and the moment I recognized her, my predatory instincts kicked in, my mission objective now conveniently in my sights.

Circe;

I couldn’t breathe, the air was stuck in my throat as I stared at Jacob, the very last person I wanted to see, the one that was after me. As soon as the fact that he was an immediate enemy registered in my mind, I instantly spun on my heel and sprinted across the living room for the windows. But 10 feet from my goal the form of Jacob seemingly materialized in front of me, forcing me to swerve of to the left, and right into my kitchen. I need to escape before I have to reveal my abilities as a last resort. I spin around to face my attacker, frantically searching for an opening. Jacob advanced and I was forced to retreat. Soon something that could’ve resembled a dangerous dance was formed as Jacob continued to advance and lunge and me darting out of the way at the last minute. Adrenaline and fear coursed through my veins, and I started to feel myself freeze up. I was avoiding the attacks more and more narrowly, as I started to lose ground. No! I’ve lasted this long and I’ll be damned if I let some pretty boy throw me over his shoulder and tote me back to Stephan’s! And suddenly, as if someone had lit a fire inside me, a searing viciousness ripped its way out of me, my senses sharpened and I started to gain ground by making swipes at Jacob, forcing him to either give ground or be met with my fury. My desperation now gone, and replaced with a savage anger, I was nearly unstoppable.

Jacob;

I was shocked by how fast she was able to sprint as she ran for the windows, is she insane? We’re on the 28th floor! I move as quickly as possible to block her path to the windows, herding her into the kitchen. I attempt to grab her and stick the charmed bracelet on her wrist, which would render her immobile. I continue to lunge but somehow she out-paced me, slipping out of my grasp every time. What the hell is this girl? She’s so fast, even faster than me. The though puts me at unease as we continue the dance, but my confidence soon returns as I sense her slowing down, the terror clear on her face. C’mon! Just slipup already! I yell at her mentally. And just about as I think I have victory assured, something changes in her eyes, something predatory, and terrifying swallowing up the green in her eyes, as they turn an unearthly gold. I was suddenly faced with attacks aimed at me, impossibly fast punches, kicks, swipes at my face; they just kept coming, forcing me back lest I get one of my eyes clawed out. The look in the girl’s eyes caused me to shiver mentally, the look so angry, so raw and feral, something I have seen very few times in my long life. As I felt the tables turning I quickly took a large step back, buying me time to click the speed dial for the rest of my team, the squad leader, Raziel picks up on the first ring. “Sir? Did you find the girl?” his gruff voice resonates from the speaker of my phone. I narrowly dodge a jab to my gut, nearly dropping the phone in my sudden jerk out of the way of the oncoming blow. “Yea, 28th floor of the Raphael condo building, hurry.” I said the last word with as much meaning as I could, and for once in my life I feared losing to my opponent as I narrowly avoided the vicious blows aimed at me. “We’re right down the street from you, and if we’re not fast enough just use a cage rune. Xander tucked one into your jacket before you left Stella’s, it should be more than enough to hold her till we get there.” I bit back a sharp remark about them doubting me as I avoided blows and blindly reached into my coat pocket. I feel my fingers come in contact with the feathery paper, and I could feel the power seeping from the rune. Well, it looks like Xander did something right for once. I thought as I yanked it out of my pocket and threw it straight at Circe’s face. I watched with relief as the rune glowed and exploded into a clear blue tinted barrier around Circe, leaving a 6 foot radius of space around her. “Now just stay put until Raziel gets here, it’s over. There’s no way you can break out of a barrier as powerful as this one.” Even though the barrier was in place I still kept my eye on her as I slid down the wall to sit, exhausted for the first time in a while. This girl really gave me a run for my money. I thought bitterly, “If you think that I’m just going to roll over and let you take me away to Stephan because you managed to put up a petty barrier, you’re bat-shit crazy.” I just stared at the girl, “There’s no way you’re getting out of that barrier, and besides, my back-up is already here.” I gestured to the team of twelve vamps entering through the door. “It’s over.” I said the finality in my voice clear. I waved Raziel over to where I was sitting, and gestured at Circe, “We still need to get the bracelet on her, could you get someone on that? We can’t have her tearing up the cars.” I hold out the thick cuff, engraved with numerous symbols and patterns, Raziel takes it with a nod and heads over to talk to his men. I turn back to Circe, “please try to make this easy and let them put the bracelet on, it’s only temporary. I have to make a phone call so you stay put.” I spin on my heel and pass by the group of vamps, and slip out the door, quickly whipping out my cell phone and dialing in Stephan’s number. He picks up on the second ring, “Yes? What do you want? You have good news for me I hope.” He didn’t bother to hide the tiredness in his tone, “Yes, I managed to capture the girl-er, Circe.” The silence in the other end lasts for an uncomfortable moment, “Excellent, I want her at Stella’s immediately. The capture went smoothly I hope?” I let out a shuddery sigh, “this girl is something else, if I hadn’t used the cage rune when I did she most likely would’ve taken me out. She was fast, amazingly fast, even more so than me.” There’s silence again, the tension in the air thick, “interesting, very interesting indeed. I will be expecting your arrival within the hour so I can begin my negotiations with her.” He says, his tone distant, “Yes sir.” I say curtly, but he’d already hung up.

Circe;

I paced around the my little cage, throwing glares at anyone who dared to look straight at me, I can’t believe I let myself get caught! Damnit! I shouldn’t have held out in using my abilities, I totally could’ve beaten that dude’s ass! I take in a deep breath and push down my agitation to clear my mind. This situation isn’t all bad; I can still salvage this and use it to my advantage. I settle myself on the floor in cross legged position, and set my face in my hands, thinking. I guess the best course of action would be to just go with them to Stephan, and then try to extract as much information about my situation as possible. They said that the bracelet was only temporary, so later I can just break out when I’ve gotten all the knowledge that I need. I try to smile at the clever prospect, but I sit quietly my expression drawn and defeated, the situation looking increasingly grim with each passing moment.

Stephan;

I sit behind my desk and gaze at the ceiling of my office, puzzling out the situation. A couple of months ago I had gotten word that some of my shipments had been stolen right from under the noses of some of my best men, I was livid when I couldn’t find hide nor hair of the culprit, but not much later sightings of a certain girl around some of my warehouses started to circle back to me, along with tales of her powers. I, being the skeptical man I am dismissed them for what they initially were, tales, and the girl as a simple human, but even I couldn’t ignore the evidence that showed itself a week ago. Only a handful of my men managed to survive out of the 45 that I had stationed at one of my warehouses. Inside where shipments of various enchanted items, ranging from swords to amulets, all particularly valuable and sought after. Around 12:00am I had planned to have the items shipped to their final destinations under the cover of darkness, for I had to take caution with the certain shipment, success meant a large payout. As everything was vulnerable, being taken out of the sanctuary of the warehouse to be loaded, a raiding party from the unseelie court attacked. My men were unprepared and outnumbered; the outcome looked grim as the attackers slaughtered my men, but what happened next even I had trouble comprehending, the exact report read: “the air seemed to still, and suddenly a girl appeared floating in the air above us, she took one look at the unseelie soldiers and her eyes began to glow gold, the hate and malice in her eyes was terrifying. I seemed to be the only one who noticed her, because the unseelie just kept killing and killing, but it all stopped when the earth began to crack, slabs of earth rose from the ground and started to crush our attackers, bits of cement and steel were ripped from the surrounding buildings and promptly began to impale the rest of the unseelie. The air was a blur of rock, steel and blood. Once all the unseelie lay dead, everything dropped and stilled, the girl simply looked at us before giving us a wave and darted out into the sky. She was out of sight in a matter of seconds. She didn’t even attempt to hurt any of us, she just smiled and left.” That report chilled me to the bone, and since then I have been silently searching for that girl. I had ordered my men to follow around various people who fit the description, every clue we found would lead to a dead end, until one lead jumped out at us, literally.

My men had been patrolling around one of the lower established districts, bars dotted the streets left and right. They were passing by Nell’s Hell, a small gambling joint, when she jumped out in front of them laughing hysterically, springing out into the street, two lichens dashing after her growling obscenities. That put her on my radar, day after she was spotted again; walking the outskirts of downtown, I immediately sent two of my men to track her. The moment they came back with news that she “flew” away, I knew it was her.

Now all I need to do is wait for Jacob to come back with her, then I can start figuring out this mess, and why Fae from the seelie and unseelie courts were sending scouts to watch her…

Jacob;

I watched the girl currently unconscious in my lap with a perplexed expression, how in the hell did she manage to do so much damage? When she blatantly refused to put on the enchanted bracelet we had to resort to force, but she went wild like a banshee and took out nearly all the men, throwing them around like rag dolls, even from the confines of the cage rune. I had finally been forced to bind another immobilization rune to the cage rune to slow her down enough to get the bracelet on. By the end of the ordeal every man there was sporting an array of bruises and an unlucky few had gotten some more serious injuries. She might’ve looked terrifying then, her face twisted into rage, but now she just looks so peaceful, so hauntingly beautiful…I quickly chastised myself for the thought, “she’s just some kid,” I muttered. But even as I said it I couldn’t help but acknowledge the fact that she’d captured my attention. I glance up as the car comes to a halt right by the back door to Stella’s.

Circe;

My head hurt like hell when I woke up, but it didn’t stop me from looking around the lavish room I was in. everything seemed to be sleek and new, the marble floors, black leather chairs and glass furniture, the room was stark yet luxurious, save the over the top mahogany desk that sat 3 feet in front of me. I glance down at my wrists and frown, enchanted cuffs, oh Stephan you crafty son of a gun. This is getting worse by the minute, I need to bail and just get out of here. I was stopped in mid escape plot when the door opened to my left and two hulking men in suits walked in, accompanied by a tall, handsome man with jet black hair and eerie blue eyes. That must be Stephan. “Care to explain the wonderful welcome party I got?” I said my agitation clearly apparent. I could’ve sworn I saw him smirk as he glided over to the desk and settled himself. “So you’re the cause of all this ruckus, a bit scrawny to do so much damage aren’t you? Either way, I’m Stephan, current head of the Vampires, I’m pleased to make your acquaintance.” He introduced himself with a slight inclination of his head, and I stare at him slightly perplexed at his attitude, is he mocking me? Even as the thought popped into my mind I was weirdly certain that he was being sincere. “Likewise, I would shake your hand but mine seem to be firmly secured to this chair. Would you mind terribly if you could uncuff me? I mean c’mon, we’re all adults here.” I eyed him carefully as a small smirk found its way into his features. “Hardly, you’re what? 16? And there is absolutely no way that I’m giving you a chance to use any of your abilities to escape, maybe later when you’ve gained my trust will I consider removing the charm, but for now you’re unpredictable.” What does he mean by “for now?!” how long is he planning to keep me here? “Okay, hold up! I think that I deserve to know why I’m handcuffed to a chair in the first place at the very least!” My persuasion failing I decide to give up and go for a more direct approach. “It must be pretty damn good if you were willing to go to all the trouble to capture me.” I pull at the cuffs as I continue to maintain eye contact, searching for any weakness in the enchantments. “I suppose I do owe you an explanation, but this may take a while.” I simply nod and stop fiddling with the cuffs, glad that my request was actually taken into account; I honestly thought that he was going to lock me up in some dungeon without a word. Maybe he isn’t as stupid and irrational as the rest of the Supe population. “You see, I’m fighting a war with the Fae courts right now for control over the supernatural population, it has been dragging on year after year and I have no intention of letting those psychotic fairies rule the entire population. Lately they’ve been getting stronger and somehow their numbers are increasing. This is where you come in, I’ve had reports of your abilities and I need your help to bring down the Fae, and besides you’ll probably do something stupid if I let you run free, like get captured by the Fae. I cannot afford for them to get their hands on you.” I took a moment to absorb the new information, but then a piece of the conversation caught my attention. “Okay I get the part about you wanting to use me, but how would the Fae know anything about me? I’ve never let any of their scouts make it back! It’s bad enough for you to know, but them too?!” I chew on bottom lip as I demand an answer from Stephan. “The thing is, they don’t seem to know anything of your abilities, they must have other reasons for tracking you, reasons unfortunately unknown to me.” They don’t know what I can do?! Well then why are they so interested in a human? “That doesn’t even make sense! But I really don’t care right now; I don’t want to get tangled up in this mess by you!” I emphasized my statement by stomping my foot, my eyes locked on Stephan. “Just because I have a few tricks up my sleeve doesn’t mean you can use me as some pawn!” Stephan lets out a deep breath and rubs his hands over his eyes, I hadn’t noticed it before but he looked exhausted, the slightly dark bags under his eyes were the only other sign I could find on his stony face. “Yes I know, but I need you and your cooperation. I know of your hate for the unseelie, so do you really want them to win and rule over the supernatural?” My anger cooled at the glimpse of the tired man, reduced to asking a 16 year old for help, but I was still conscious of the cuffs securing my wrists. “I may hate them but I don’t need to fight for you in order to kill them, I’m content with my current arrangements.” I looked away as I said this, afraid that I might have to see more of the tired man I glimpsed before, what do I care if he’s tired or not? He handcuffed me to a freaking chair! Even as I thought it I couldn’t find any burning resentment against the vampire. “I’ll make you a deal then, if you join me and help me to defeat the Fae, I’ll let you kill the queen of the unseelie court. She was the one that had your aunt killed right?” My head snapped up as he said it, how did he know?! What’s up with these guys and knowing every single thing about me?! “What’s up with you, are all vamps just naturally this creepy, I mean seriously, you’re acting like a stalker.” I tried sound light but it still came out in a slightly forced tone. I didn’t want him to know how much his knowledge had unnerved me; he even knows about my aunt, does he know that she was one of the human rebel leaders? And one of the many who were executed for being one? There used to be a rebel force against the supernaturals, although it was quite small and ineffective force, they did mange too bring down quite a few high ranking Fae and disrupt the order the supernatural leaders struggled so hard to maintain. They were a beacon in the dark world, and humans flocked to them, ecstatic that hope had been found, but not soon after the unseelie queen decided to take action and she raided every rebel base that could be found, executing every human within each, men and children alike, one of those bases held my aunt, the leader of the rebels. The Unseelie court queen had her publicly executed, and I was there to see it, the only one who took care of and loved me, my second mother, died. From that day a fire has burned inside me, a hate for the woman that took my aunt. “Circe,” Stephan’s voice pulled me back to reality and away from the memories of blood and tears. “I’m the only one who can help you find the location of the queen and you know it, so I ask you again, will you join me?” I looked into the cold blue eyes of the vampire, filled with a malice that I could relate to, one that resembled my own. “I’ll do it, but I have a few conditions. First, no more enchanted cuffs or anything of the sort, I am no longer a captive but a comrade in arms, and second I am not some soldier, you can’t order me about, while I am willing to help you, I chose what I do and that is that. Are we in agreement?” What am I doing? Teaming up with a Supe? The wasteland air must’ve finally gotten to me. “The terms are reasonable, I accept, but I do need but one thing from you.” I didn’t like the tone in his voice, it was like when someone was about to break news and is trying not to get yelled at. “Spill it; it can’t be that bad…” Stephan gives a small smirk before continuing, “I need you to stay here at Stella’s for the time being, I can’t have you up in that penthouse unguarded, its location has already been compromised, I hope you understand.” I was 2 seconds from going into a fit until I actually thought about his words, damn, he’s actually making sense. “Fine. But you have to let me get my IPod first! I refuse to leave it there, and I want to go there to set up some defenses against scavengers. You have no idea how long it took me to finish that place!” It took him a moment to respond, probably baffled by my lack of an agitated response, “Sure, I’ll send one of my men with you right now, of course if that would be convenient?” Sooner better than later I guess… “That’s fine, but could you please remove the handcuffs now that we’ve come to an understanding?” I hate having my powers suppressed! I feel so helpless! “Yes, of course, but keep in mind. We’ve caught you once, and we can again, so please keep in mind that you’ve agreed to help us.” I smirked at the thinly conveyed threat in his words, “run and we’ll catch ‘ya” as if, I doubt you can catch me off guard again Mr. Head-honcho, you just keep telling yourself that! “Yeah, yeah I get it! So remove them, pleeeease?” I implored, it seemed to work as Stephan nodded to one of his guards who promptly lumbered over and produced a key. “Thank ‘ya very much!” I said as I rubbed my now free wrists, basking in the feeling of my power flooding back. Never, never again, not if you give me the Fae staff of seasons will I ever allow anyone to suppress my power! I vowed silently as I stood up with a nod in Stephan’s direction, “I’ll just wait in the lobby for your guy so I can leave.” I said it just as I slipped out the door, only to have a firm grip pull me back into the room. “No, need. He’s already here.” A sense of foreboding came over me as he said it, and a familiar aura entered the room. Oh Stephan you paranoid son of a bitch, are you really so worried that I’ll run away that your willing to send him with me? I thought just as I turned around to face Jacob, Mr.Freaking-tracker. “Hello again to you sir, it’s been a while. Seems the last time I saw you was when you put that fucking cuff on my wrist and entrapped me in a cage rune.” The last part came out in a growl, I was still seriously pissed about my powers being suppressed, and I was captured only because he used underhanded means. He couldn’t even fight me without using a freaking cage rune, some legend he is. We are so not going to get along. I simply clicked my tough at him and spun on my heel, “Well c’mon, you’re my babysitter right? Let’s get a move on; I don’t want to draw this out any longer than it has to be.” I stalked down the hallway with Jacob at my heels, my mood now soured. The chilly New York air hit me square in the chest as I pushed the door out of the lobby and into the evening, “Wow, night already? How long was I out?” Jacob was obviously uncomfortable with my demeanor; I could’ve cut the air with a knife the tension made it so thick, as it should be, I’m not here to make friends with this coward. “You were out for 6 hours, since 3.” Other than Jacob’s small response the night was serene and deathly quiet. We continued our way down the street, with Stella’s still in sight I decided to have some fun. “Ya’ know what? I think that I might just take a short cut, I’ll see you at the condo!” I didn’t even give him time to respond before I was up in the air a good 60 feet above him, “Have fun walking!” I called out as I turned and cut across the sky at an impossible speed, the wind tearing at my hair and clothes, my eyes burning, but I welcomed the small pain, it was a good distraction from the anger threatening to bubble over. This night is identical to the one Alferan died on…now that I have to work with people; I’ve got to keep reins on my power. I can’t let it consume me. Images of the burning club slipped into my mind, along with the smell of smoke, Alferan had it coming and the worlds better off without him. I ended the thought just as my condo came into view and I slowed to a lazy glide, but only to come to a complete stop as I spotted the light on in my condo, lighting the sky like a beacon. Various silhouettes moved around inside it, about 6. How DARE they barge into my home! They’re going to be getting quite the surprise soon. My anger bubbled up and my power flared around me, heating the air around me and causing me to steam, if I hadn’t been so angry I would’ve laughed at myself.

The winter court’s (unseelie) Prince Zaren;

Why do I have to be sent on such a trivial errand? Coming all this way for some human girl, what is my mother thinking? “Avon! How much longer? When will the girl show up?! I’m getting bored.” I barked at my guard, my voice clearly agitated. “Prince, please be patient, I’m sure that she will return any moment now.” Avon, now used to my numerous outbursts over the years showed no reaction to my cutting tone, you’d think that just once that he would fear me and my status. I knew the thought was pointless; Avon had been with me since childhood as my personal guard, he knew as well as I did that all my threats were empty, we saw each other as equals even if our rankings were so far apart. I watched as the rest of the entourage scoured the penthouse, tapping my foot. “Avon, what exactly are they looking for?” I was curious by the way they were searching so seriously, their eyes intent and focused. “The materials that allowed her to make the runes that we found on the stairs, it would be a disaster if the humans have finally found a way to use magic.” I rolled my eyes, even with magic they’re not much of a problem, why be so paranoid? A low voice called out, from across the living room, the man it came from holding up a stack of standard paper and a pen. “There is no way in hell she was able to use that to make such runes! Continue the search, you must’ve missed something!” Avon barked out. This is a fool’s errand… suddenly the room felt as if the air had been sucked out, and the temperature dropped. “What the-” I only managed to get out, before the window 15 feet to my left shattered and a girl landed on the floor in a crouched position, her long chocolate hair hung in her face, but that was until she looked up at me. Green, so green, an unearthly color, her eyes seemed to glow, standing out from her delicate face. Once I got over her beauty I noticed the look in her eyes and painted on her face, pure, raw fury, primal and terrifying. Oh mother, what have you gotten me into?

Circe;

I crashed through the window, my senses wild, my head only filled with anger. “What do you think you’re doing?! This is my home!” My voice came out in a growl; I stood to stare at the intruders, my hair floating around my head like a wild crown. One aura caught my attention through my murderous haze; I slowly glided towards it, curious. “And who are you?” I asked the stranger, my anger barely bridled by curiosity for the time being.



© Copyright 2013 Nicole Patterson (theshywriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1945662-A-Wasteland-and-Crazy-Just-Mix