*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1945663-Child-of-Magic-and-Green
Rated: 13+ · Other · Action/Adventure · #1945663
Set in Prague, one beautiful collage art student is about to have her world shaken.
Child of Magic and Green

The beauty of the winter kissed city did little to ease the burn of the bitter cold currently snaking its way down my neck. I bounce from foot to foot rubbing my arms, desperately trying to keep the feeling in my limbs. “Damnit Lizzeth!” I reach into my leather satchel and fumble around until my fingers feel the familiar shape of my cell phone. I struggle to keep my shaking fingers steady, the ungodly cold not helping much.
Several failed attempts and the feeling in my fingers later I finally managed to dial in the correct number. “Yea?” Lizzeth’s voice was still wrought with sleep as she answered her phone; it was obvious she had just woken up. “Don’t tell me you forgot that you were going to help me with the sewing on our clothing assignment!” I let my agitation leak into my voice, the winter chill only amplifying it, turning my already daunting tone into something much more fearsome.
“I’m so so sorry Circe! I was working on the renaissance piece for Mr.Codwell and I fell asleep. I still have to finish it, and I can’t help with the sewing. I’ll totally make it up to you!” I let out a loud sigh, my breath coming out in a foggy cloud, dispelling my agitation. I took a quick glance at the deep green fabric outline for the dress ballooning out the top of my bag, it isn’t that bad, and if I pull an all-nighter should have it done in time… “Fine, I know how Mr.Codwell can get, but you’d better make this up to me.” I could hear Lizzeth’s sigh of obvious relief, “Thanks so much! I totally forgot about the group project, I’ll defiantly help next time!” My agitation flared at her carefree tone, and I take in a deep breath, the frigid air burning my lungs. “Okay, I’ll talk to you tomorrow then, bye.” I hang up before she could start her usual infinite chatter, my mood now soured.
Well now what do I do? My partner has abandoned me and I have an entire dress to sew for tomorrow, I’m not magic. With a long sigh I stuff my cell phone back into my satchel and push off the wall I was leaning on. Looks like I’ll just have to figure it out, I think bitterly.
I set a brisk pace, my feet slapping against the cobbled stones, my hands and feet already numb. As I make my way through the snow dusted streets my conscious starts to notice the shift of surroundings since I left the café. The streets were strangely barren despite the chill; I eye the ancient stone buildings looming over the silent scene. An eerie feeling hangs in the air, turning the charming frozen city into a daunting picture, shadows and narrow alleyways sharply pronounced in an almost threatening way. The occasional stone statue seemed to follow me with their cold lifeless eyes, and weak lamplight spills onto the cobbled streets from the occasional street lamp, offering brief breaks in the murky darkness that clung to the roads.
What the hell, it’s like a freaking horror movie… that thought only led to some seriously messed up images of the gory movie I had watched the previous night, resulting in one seriously freaked out Circe. God, what is wrong with me, of all the times to reminisce about that god awful movie… I end the thought with a shudder as I make a detour from my usual route back to my flat, in favor of cutting through one of the many crowded miscellaneous markets scattered throughout Prague. I continue my brisk pace, down a few dark avenues, the eerie feeling clinging to my back, but as soon as I enter the bustling square I let the warm glow of the shops and the noisy chatter wash over me, dispelling my uneasy feeling. I might as well stop by nana’s shop since I’m already here; I need some buttons for the dress anyways since some partner couldn’t show up and bring the ones we decided on…I continue to delve deeper into the crowded square, only to stop when I see the familiar little shop tucked into its nook, seemingly serene and untouched by the commotion surrounding it. I quickly maneuver my way through the crowd and into the shop, firmly shutting the ancient oak door behind me, the exotic smell of cinnamon immediately assaulting my nose. “Nana? I’m here for some buttons, preferably brass ones, Mrs.Doubek was in a bad mood today and she set the deadline for the dress to Monday.” I could faintly hear a barking laugh from somewhere amongst the cluttered shop. “That woman really is something; doesn’t she expect you to get any sleep? I think I have something that you’ll find useful. Make yourself comfortable and give me a moment.” I shot a smile at the large stack of books nana had called behind from, “thanks!” I called over my shoulder as I make my way to the deep red velvet recliner set in the corner, making myself at home within the piles and piles of oddities, or “valuable antiques” as nana put it.
The funny thing about nana was that she wasn’t actually related to me. My parents put me in her care when I was not even two; dumping me in Europe they disappeared to who knows where. Nana quickly became the parental figure in my life, and her little shops my home. I had moved out at 17 when I got accepted to the Masbeck University of fine arts, and majored in art and design, but even though I didn’t live here anymore I stopped by often enough to.
I was pulled out of my thoughts as the small form of Nana appeared from behind a large metal bird cage, carrying a glass jar full of brass buttons. “It’s been a while since you’ve stopped by, how’s school been? Busy I hope, without something to keep you occupied you might just get lost in your daydreaming.” I give her a large grin as I accept the glass jar extended in my direction, “yea, especially since I have to complete this project alone, Lizzeth couldn’t make it to help with the sewing.”
© Copyright 2013 Nicole Patterson (theshywriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1945663-Child-of-Magic-and-Green