*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1949396-The-Emergency
Rated: E · Fiction · Other · #1949396
A military man urges wife to leave town with him before chaos ensues.
The Emergency


         The news about the nuclear missile buildup was hopping all over the media outlets.

         Allison later heard some radio talk show host speculate that there may be American intervention soon to deal with the situation. Married to a military man, the thought of that only made her feel more uneasy about the whole mess, never knowing if or when he may have to leave to some far-off region at the drop of a hat.

         Today, her worst fear sprung into mind.

         "Honey!" Adam called out urgently as he stormed in the door. "We gotta go! Get the kids, pack everything and let's go!"

         Allison was feeding her six-month-old daughter, Brady when she looked up with a confused look. "Why-what's wrong?"

         "No time to explain. It will be much better if we leave now!"

         "Billy just left for school," Allison said.

         "Well we will just have to go pick him up. Please, just start packing. We really need to leave!"

         Allison got Brady ready and gathered everything she could take for the trip while Adam checked the car and made sure everything was in working order.

         Out on the road, Alison turned to Adam. "Are things that bad?"

         "They will be by tomorrow," Adam said gravely. "Better start planning early."

         After stopping at the elementarty school, Billy was in the backseat now and he asked, "Where are we going, Dad?"

         Adam glanced at Billy nervously through the rearview mirror. "Uh...we're just going for a ride, Billy. Maybe we'll stop at the zoo and see that aquarium that you like so much."

         "Yippee!" Billy clapped eagerly.

         "C'mon, Adam," Allison groaned.

         "What?"

         "You don't have to lie to him. You know how I feel when you lie to him."

         "I'm not lying," Adam said. "We will go have a good time once this mess blows over."

         "Yeah...well...you still haven't told me what this is all about."

         "Well if you must know..." Adam's words were stumped by the ring of Allison's cell phone.

         "Hold on," Allison said and answered the phone. "Hello?...Hi, Mom...Oh you won't?...Well that's okay-something's come up anyway...I love you too...Bye."

         "What did she say?" Adam asked.

         "Something came up," Allison sighed. "Her friend asked her to help at some swap meet and said she won't be able to visit this weekend."

         Adam pulled over toward the side of the road and stomped on the brake pedal. He looked at Allison with an annoyed look. "Are you friggin kidding me? Then what the hell am I driving all this way for?"

425 Words
This story is written for the Twisted Tales Contest.
© Copyright 2013 Alex Alvarado (darkknight99 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1949396-The-Emergency