*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1951655-A-Painful-Separation
by Elgin
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1951655
Flash fiction
A Painful Separation





    Given the time of day, Davin thought, it was quite a peculiar sight.  "I really don't know how it happened." Bill Haynes, the next-door neighbor said.  "I always thought they were such a quiet couple...she seemed so small.  Hell, he was a giant next to her.  Who knew?"





    Davin remembered the loud sounds coming from next door in the past, gradually escalating from the occasional bang, to the sounds of arguments muffled by walls.  Still disconcerting nevertheless.  Last night, the brown house had been mysteriously quiet.  Davin thought that perhaps they had worked out their differences.





    The body at his feet suggested otherwise.





    It lay just over the property boundary on the neighbors' side, surrounded by shards of glass, twinkling in the noontime sunshine.  It was naked.  Totally.





    That was when the police that he had called arrived.  One cop walked up to Davin while his partner examined the body.  He asked, "Did you know the victim?"

"Not well.  I just heard the crash about an hour ago and this is how it looked when I got out here, so I called you."

"Well, there's no pulse, so we've got a homicide.  You say they were having problems?" said cop number two.

"Yeah, lots of arguments, and noise.  Guess they decided on a separation the hard way, huh?"

"Judging from the broken window on the second floor, I'd say the cause of death was defenestration.  Pretty final.  Don't worry.  We'll catch up to the spouse.  Got an APB out.  For now, just go home.  We'll get you if we have any more questions."





    With that, both cops returned to the crime scene.  Davin went back to his porch and watched the EMTs load the guy up, thinking 'I hope they find her soon...'



© Copyright 2013 Elgin (firstsunwolf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1951655-A-Painful-Separation