*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1952646-Bittersweet
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1952646
Day 12 (Romance/Love) - "The Bakers Dozen"
Bittersweet

Jeff pulled the rental car into the parking space. The old high school looks just the same. Memories climbed the brick façade like the ivy.

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness,” he recited, recalling ‘A Tale of Two Cities.’ It was foolishness that brought him tonight, thirteen years after he left. No, not foolishness. Keysha. The thought of her brought a smile to his face.

The sign announced the reunion of the ‘Class of 2000 – Welcome Alumni.’

The old gym still looked much the same. Banners hung from the ceilings and balloons floated above tables around the perimeter. He walked up to the registration table.

“Jeff, is that you?” asked a pretty blonde woman.

“Why yes it is,” he smiled back. “It’s so good to see you again.”

“It’s me, Peggy Simpson. Well, Jackson now,” she beamed.

“I remember. We had English together. As I recall, you were going to go on to Texas State.”

A small cloud crossed her face. “That was before Tommy Junior.”

He was surprised. “You married Tommy? How is he?” Tommy was one of the guys I hung around with before … He let the thought drop.

“He’s fine. He’s working refreshments.”

“I’ll head over. It’s been too long.”

“Keysha’s here,” she whispered.

“I’ll go see Tommy,” he said, noncommittally. He headed toward the punch bowl.

“I Knew I Loved You” by Savage Garden began playing. “Maybe it’s intuition but some things you just don’t question,” he found himself singing. The words brought an ache to his heart. It had been their song.

“Hey, Jeff!”

Tommy was waving at him when he looked. His focus, however, was pulled to an attractive black woman standing behind Tommy who also stopped and looked when his name was called. “Keysha,” he whispered. He saw her duck her head and go out the side door.

“Hey, Tommy. Good to see you.”

“You too. What a surprise. I thought you were never coming back. California get too crazy for you?” he laughed.

“No, Mom’s been insisting I visit. You know how Mom’s are; she played all the sympathy cards she held. Besides, after all this time, things change. Hell, I’ve changed. And so have you,” he said poking his friend in the stomach.

“That’s what married life will do,” he laughed. “Are you?”

“No. I haven’t found the right one yet.”

“Or she doesn’t live in California,” Tommy said. “Look, I’m sorry about … before. You know. It might have been 2000 but seeing you and Keysha … well, old prejudices die hard.”

“Have they died?”

“This is Texas, so no, not everywhere, not with everyone. But Keysha’s a great gal. Did you know she’s a nurse now? We see her all the time. It seems Junior is just like me. Always skinning something or breaking something,” he laughed.

“No. We haven’t kept up.” Jeff fanned himself. “I see they haven’t fixed the A.C. yet,” he joked. “I think I’ll step out and cool off. I’ll catch you later.”

Jeff stepped into the darkness. He could see the football field in the distance with the bleachers looking like a strange skeleton under the stars. As he came around to the first row, he looked to the upper section. Someone was sitting in the upper section.

“Keysha?”

“Hi, Jeff,” came the soft response.

The sound of her voice wiped away the years. He walked up the staircase and took a seat beside her. “You remembered,” he said. His fingers traced the heart carved in the seat with their initials in it.

“No, I never forgot.” He could hear the pain he knew too well in her voice..

“Keysha,” he began, reaching to touch her face. It was wet with tears. He pulled her to him, holding her, feeling her body shake. “It’s all right.”

“No, it isn’t,” she finally sobbed. “All those years ago. I was afraid. After what was said by my family, by your family, by our friends? They made me feel … less than.”

“I waited for you. I waited for you to come, to leave all this behind us.”

“Behind us? I couldn’t see “us” anymore. I’m sorry.” She pulled away from him, wiping at her eyes. “Then came the years of silence. Even hope died.”

He turned so he could look in her eyes. “Keysha. Look at me.”

She turned to face him.

“I’m still waiting,” was all he could say.

She came into his arms, her lips warm and salty. He remembered the softness, the passion. “Come with me,” he said huskily. The fire in her eyes was the only answer he needed.

Later, they lay exhausted in his room, their bodies entwined. He kissed her forehead as she snuggled into his arms. “It’s so strange,” she finally said. She moved closer.

“What is?” he murmured.

“That something as simple as this,” she pointed to the contrast between her dark leg and the whiteness of his thigh, “could have kept this from ever happening.”

“It wasn’t color, it was fear.”

“I’m not afraid anymore,” she murmured.

“Good. But if you ever feel that way, I have something that will keep you safe no matter what.” He fumbled with his jacket that was lying on the floor and brought out a small box. “Here,” he said. “I’ve held onto this for thirteen years. It’s time you finally had it.”

She opened the box and took out the ring that was nestled inside. She sat up and stared at him, speechless but with a questioning look in her eyes.

“How about in the morning, we pack up and head to California?”

She laughed. “I’ve already begun.”

“What are you talking about?” he asked, grinning.

She held up her arm. “See, I’ve already got my tan started.”

He grabbed her and they held each other, giggling, until sleep finally came. A new day waited for them.



Day 12 Entry for "The Writer's Baker's Dozen Contest
Word Limit: 1,000 Word Count: 997
Prompt: Romance/Love - The Crush: It was nothing more than a childhood crush, and you've both moved on. However, 13 years later you happen to meet again and old memories still linger.
© Copyright 2013 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1952646-Bittersweet