*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1952853-Choices
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1952853
Day 13 (SciFi) - "The Baker's Dozen"
Choices

“I just don’t know what to do,” Maggie said.

“Here are the numbers. It’s all there in black and white.” Jack pushed the vid tablet across the kitchen table so she could see. “We don’t have much time to decide. Billy will turn thirteen in three weeks and he’s scheduled to leave for his off-planet schooling by the middle of October.”

“It just seems unfair!”

“Look, if we use all our savings and get a second mortgage we can probably pay for the school. But look where that leaves us,” he said tapping the screen. “Besides, his grades haven’t been that good. He spends more time on vid games than on studying. Maybe working the mines on weekends will teach him that you have to earn what you get in life.”

Billy sat in the living room, listening to his parent’s conversation. He got up and went into the kitchen. “So, it’s decided? Just like that? I don’t get a say in what happens?”

“Billy, it’s not that simple. We can’t afford …” Maggie started to say.

“Just a moment, young man,” Jack interrupted. “Life is about choices and taking responsibility for them. You’ve chosen to play vids with your friends, rather than put any real effort into your school work. If you had, you could have had a shot at a scholarship. It all comes down to your choices. I’m sorry but we just can’t afford it.”

Billy saw the tears in his mother’s eyes but all he could feel were the words his father said. “Fine! If you think I’m lazy I’ll just have to prove you wrong. That’s my choice,” he said angrily, turning and running to his room.

The five weeks went by quickly. The anger never fully left but a truce had been reached within the family. They stood at the departure gate, waiting for the boarding call.

“Take care of yourself, Billy,” Maggie said, hugging him. “I love you.”

“Mom, please. Everyone will see.”

“Let them,” she responded. “Now, once you get settled, I expect a com or a letter letting me know everything is okay. Don’t make me come up there.” They both laughed to cover their feelings of loss.

Jack came over. “Don’t worry, I’m not going to hug you,” he joked. He offered his hand. Billy took it. There was an awkward silence as the two looked at each other until was broken by the boarding announcement. “Work hard, study hard, son,” was all Jack could manage.

Billy pulled back and saw the tears whelming in his father’s eyes. “I will, Dad. I’ll make you proud.” He picked up his bag and, with a wave, headed through the gate.

The house was dark when Jack pulled in the driveway. That’s odd. It’s Halloween and Maggie loves to see the little kids in their costumes. He felt an emptiness come over him. He remembered taking Billy trick-or-treating not that long ago.

Walking to the door, he checked the mail. There was a letter from Billy. “Maggie’s going to be happy. Maybe this will get her out of the doldrums,” he said. Opening the door, he called, “Maggie? Look, Billy finally wrote.”

He flipped on the hall light and went into the living room. He could see Maggie sitting in the dark. “Honey? Look, a letter from Billy.” It was then he noticed the glistening silver trails on his wife’s face. “What? What’s happened?”

Maggie reached out, taking the letter from his hand. “I had a call earlier from the school. There was a freak accident at the mine. They’re sending someone over tomorrow to explain it all,” she said in a flat monotone. “They send their condolences,” she spat out, the unfairness of it all breaking through her sorrow.

She looked at the envelope and clutched it to her breast. Standing, she crumpled the letter and threw it at Jack. “Life is about choices,” she said in a shaky voice. “I hope you can live with the responsibility of yours. I don’t know how I can.”

The doorbell rang. It was never answered.



Day 13 Entry for "The Writer's Baker's Dozen Contest
Word Limit: 1,000 Word Count: 681
Prompt: Science Fiction - Sweet 13?: All children are required to spend a year off-planet when they turn 13. If parents can't afford a boarding school for that year, the government will provide transportation to the mining site on Pluto. Repayment for transportation, boarding and schooling is made by working weekends in the mine. Tell this story from the parent’s perspective.
© Copyright 2013 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1952853-Choices