*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1955247-untitled
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1955247
another short piece i wrote. I have tweaked this copy though. please feel free to comment.
i have forty minutes to write all I can. These might well be my last words. They are coming for me and i must inform the world of who we are being hunted by.

The sky is a dirty grey, like somebody attacked the beautiful blue with dirty cotton wool. The school is empty, the only people left are those talking to friends of those in detention with me. The boy with the dirty blond hair and chinos sits almost opposite, taring numbly out of the window. The carpet, stained with old age and trampling feet reflects everybody's mood. Dull. Worn. Old.

As i gaze around the classroom, a flash of red comes from the sky. I look curiously up and out of the window, my curly blond hair sweeping messily across my worn face. As i sweep the curls from my face i see the flash again, and the meek winters sky was ablaze with colour. Any other time and this would have been magnificent, but i know. I know this colour.

I dash out of the room, grabbing my bag and pushing the sound of the teacher calling after me out of my head.

" I'm sorry but i can not stay!" I yell back in response, i know it is not enough to satisfy the teacher, but the truth is not going to work, either. I have neither the time or the patience to explain why i am leaving, or why i am leaving. I may not be able to try again. These people are oblivious to the world around them, and i am going to do what i need to do, no matter what.

Those fools. Why do they think they can control it, how do they think they can control it? It is half past three and the school is desolate and cold. it is an unnatural cold, like when you know something bad is going to happen, and although the sky is still ablaze with colour, it feels dark, and sad. The vivid lights above have no effect on the mood. I am the only person that can change this, i am the only person that can save the planet. Only one thing will save the planet. A sacrifice.

Me.

But who wants to die, Who wants to give up the most important thing we own? I do not want to die, but i know that seven billion people will die, seven billion people, with families, and ambitions. All of those people with all of that potential will burn. Including me, if i don't die today. I would like to think i will have another shot at this, but i just do not know, and i screwed up the time before. I bottled it and i was scared. I can not let my fears take a hold again. I cant let my fears take a hold again.

I run past the sports hall and i hear screaming. I mutter under my breath and pause. I think back and remember that the school run these social clubs of people who enjoy this thing called exercise. I look to the door and then march on furiously, those people were dead as soon as the lights came down. Going in there would be futile.

As i reach the main road and i know that this is where it happens. I know this is where i end it. This is where i die. My mouth goes dry, and my mind goes blank. My palms turn sweaty and my stomach churns like a food processor. Coldly and smoothly i reach down and find a shard of glass. The sky is now a vicious, deep red, and i know deep down that this is the right thing to do, and i do all i can to push the fears down.

I feel the cool power of the destructive item as it hugs my flesh, tight and calm. The blood-stained glass hits the floor and shatters further, and as i collapse with a thud the world darkens and pulsates between reality and true darkness.

"No" cries a passer-by as he rushes to my side, he grabs my head and cradles it as his trousers become damp with the warm touch of death, and cool again with the last sign that we are human, the tears that fall from the strangers face put me at rest, and i know that i have saved a kind and gentle race. I have saved the great minds of this world, and i feel at peace, finally. The mans whimpering and sobbing gets quieter, and i half turn into the mans chest at the last of my life drains away, the world turns black. And then, the sense of weightlessness. My head beats in time with my heart, throbbing, like a headache you can't shake.

I see colour again, throbbing and beating with the pulse of my body, gradually getting more vivid until it stops blacking out. As i look around the world become clear, and i find myself staring at a sign in a world with a blood red sky. The sign should read "Welcome to Venice." instead it reads "Welcome to hell"

I have failed
© Copyright 2013 Robert Wallis (bertswallis97 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1955247-untitled