*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1958225-Voltaire-God-Amongst-Men
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1958225
a story I wrote a while back, I haven't finished it yet but I think it's good enough.

Voltaire : God Amongst Men. Voltaire - God of Men..



Voltaire : God Amongst Men.



By : Xiomara Prince

With aid from : Bobbi-Ann Matheson.


CHAPTER ONE - Descend.


In the middle of a Nevada desert, where the air stayed dry and stifling, a crack of thunder could be heard rumbling through the arid skies above. The continuous rumbles went unnoticed, but still threatening.



A vacant spot in the night sky, and the streaks of lightening in the clouds created sparks flashing throughout the darkness. Gradually, the thunder became louder, and the lightening sparks became even more frightening. The alarming roar of the thunder and crashing of the lightening threatened to break through the clouds, demolishing anything in its path. The cacophony increased, with winds whipping dry dirt into the moisture less air. The scene became frantic, as more lightning struck, and thunder bellowed angrily and a sudden dust storm that left everything shrouded from the eye to perceive.


In this sudden storm, it seemed as if clouds were formed in its center. Light emanated from the dust, first in little streaks, then it began to grow in luminosity. Devouring the dust an finally exploding in a blast of pure white light.


With the light dispersing, there was an immense crash. More like the sound of a nuclear bomb going off, but not having quite the same effect. Everything remained stagnant, as if they waited to view the aftermath of their excitement. The lightening had struck the Earth at least fifteen times, all in the same spot. A rare occasion. These strikes left behind a crater the size of a tire, with spindly cracks wriggling out from the center. Puffs of smoke filled the air, and yet still more light, though less in quantity, it was still as bright, hovered in the center of the crater. But, even more astonishing, in the center of that cloud of hovering light, was a man.


A rare deity, that had fallen to Earth. Donned in pure white armor, and glistening like diamonds was this being. A long cape swept the ground that he walked on, the pattern of birds 'wings etched on the upper body of his armor. Shoulder blades plated with iron, shining sturdy metal.


His shield lay across his back, designed to match his bodily attire. His weapon sheathed on his left hip, with the symbol of a flying bird on fire grooved in its hilt, though he held a palm to it, ready to defend himself if need be.



Standing erect, this God of Men stood at about seven feet. Rugged features, with a stance of such confidence that signified immense power. Dark features, and a brawny build defined by hundreds of years of fighting. Powerful, powerful and dangerous.


A blazon on his breast named him, Voltaire - God of Men.. Voltaire, stepping away from the crater that had such an amazing impact sent waves through the Earth. He walked on, unaware of the pair of eyes that watched him, awed and shocked at the amazing scene. He walked, without knowing where he was going, nor where he desired to go. His mission didn't require exact directions, and he figured any place to start was as good as any.


*******


The world was in chaos, demons roamed free, and humans lived in turmoil. Voltaire - God of Men.. Was sent to earth to restore peace, and destroy the evil forces wreaking havoc on his people. Humans turned on each other, killing one another without guilt or conscious thoughts.

They were becoming more and more inhumane, more like the evil spirits that roamed the streets,

Destruction set forth in their paths. The defilement of innocent souls, the corruption that plagued every street in every reachable part of this deteriorating Earth.


******


In the dead of night, cries could be heard. They were the sorrowful cries of the damned, and dying. Off in the distance, smoke rose from countless homes, blackening the dark blue skies, creating a blanket of suffocating air.

From these skies, roamed large air blimps. Surveillance blimps that were meant to keep tabs on civilians.

One of these blimps, taking note of the unusual conditions in the skies around the area where Voltaire - God of Men.. had first appeared, left his station in order to view the eventful scene.


******


Voltaire found himself wondering about aimlessly, restless for action, but exhausted due to his flight from the heavens. Energy drained, and homeless, the centenarian god was lost and dumbfounded at the conditions of this once vital and supple planet. Which had turned into a place of heathens? Walking the dry, unnourished grounds of the rolling, dead lands, Voltaire searched for any kind of greenness that would remind him of the Earth he once walked upon and loved with such passion. But everything he observed was shriveled and dead. Devoid of any substance of life.

An immense mixture of anger, and pain surged through Voltaire's entire being, rippling through his substance and bursting through. And suddenly, where there was dead, fruitless land, a massive trench swallowed the earth, Fires that burned from the pit of hell was spit out of the massive hole. A cry that pierced the air bellowed throughout the vicinity, shocking any living creature unlucky enough to hear the despaired scream.

By Xiomara Prince. With aid from : Bobbi-Ann Matheson.



© Copyright 2013 xiomara (xprince01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1958225-Voltaire-God-Amongst-Men